PDA

View Full Version : Un-Real sunset ? c&c

romi
02-08-2008, 10:23 PM
16X20 canvas
I run into troubles with the sky....

For some reason the leaves lost some of the darkenss (in the bottom part of the photo only)...Comments please
Thanks, Romi
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2008/113602-P2040006_edited.JPG

loobyteacher
02-08-2008, 10:43 PM
What do you feel the problem is? The only thing I would suggest is to have a more gradual blending of the blues and oranges. You may want to have some of the oranges reflecting up a little higher in the sky.
The tree is very wispy, which is fine, but the leaves on it are all about the same length and width. Nature is not like that (perfect in proportion) there are always variations in size.
I think you have a real nice feel for sunsets, the colors are beautiful and it does have the feeling of clouds. Keep up the good work. Colleen

romi
02-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Thank you Coleen.

dreamz
02-09-2008, 02:05 AM
I agree, although the piece works well now adding some oranges in the midzone would make it "read" better. Im not sure I would mess with the leaves now but keep it in mind for another piece, try not to make them the same size or all hanging in the same direction, that will give them a little "life"

Grandis
02-09-2008, 08:27 AM
My old art teacher often said that some of the things you see in real life, an artist who is planning a realistic treatment should never paint. When the human eye knows its a photograph then the brain usually accepts it without question however many fantastic skyscapes and landscapes that do exist, if you paint them lose that 'suspension of disbelief' and seem false.

My take is that what you have here is a perfectly reasonable representation of of sky and leaves, its just that the human mind has a fixed idea of what such a sky 'normally' looks like and this makes it look false until you steer it more towards the 'average' at which point if you are not careful it will lose its interest and impact!

romi
02-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Thank you Grandis & dreamz.

Linee
02-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Beautiful...love that sky!

LavenderFrost
02-10-2008, 11:33 AM
I think it's beautiful.

sonita
02-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Such a dramatic sky...beautiful. I agree, a bit orange should the reflected in the blue section. Other than that it's gorgeous :)
Soni

amotwell
02-10-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm a frequent painter of sunsets (from photos and from imagination), and I like it! I agree with Grandis that sometimes it's best to avoid trying to paint something that's already "unbelievable," but I'm guilty of trying it myself from time to time :)

romi
02-11-2008, 10:22 AM
I don't try to go after "realistic" - but when you paint from your imagination something recognizable (by others)- it's easy too loose perspective.
Thank you everybody for your time and advice.
Romi
P.S in the original painting I have a tiny bit of brownish in the middle ground, I will bring orange too.