PDA

View Full Version : Cottage

TxAggieDarlin
02-07-2008, 10:07 PM
This is the second building I have done and I think this is much better than the first, but I know it is not perfect...

Someone on here said it takes about 150 paintings for you to know what you are doing so I have about 140 to go lol

If you see something to make me better, let me know and thanks:)

amotwell
02-07-2008, 10:11 PM
WOW! This is fantastic! I saw your other one but didn't have anything to add that hadn't already been said. On this one, I love EVERYTHING about it, except that the roof doesn't seem quite right. It's thatched, right? I think it should be a little thicker?

Linee
02-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Very attractive and welcoming.:) My only suggestion, and only a prefrence, is a wash of subtle warm yellow to some of the white highlights to signify the sun's warmth.

dreamz
02-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Bob Ross once said he hopes you are never satisfied with your talent as an artist because then you stop learning and no one is good enough to stop learning.

I like this one alot:thumbsup:

purplepansey
02-08-2008, 10:13 AM
I like what I see but if this is a thatched roof wouldn't it be darker? I think that might add a little bit more contrast to the cottage color, what do you think?

TxAggieDarlin
02-08-2008, 11:48 AM
I have to admit, I have never seen a thatched roof so I don't know. It was done from a picture. I will go and add a wash of yellow to the white. I mixed yellow w/ white, but it sort of does not show here.

Thanks all

gaykir
02-08-2008, 12:13 PM
The thatch was bothering me a little too. I think it has an underlying warm tone. If you don't mind, here is a photo I took in Ireland last summer. Perhas it will help. You can still see warmth behind him on the old thatch.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2008/56079-thatched_roof

Paulafv
02-08-2008, 02:12 PM
I like this painting very much. While you are adding a glaze of yellow, it could also be added to the roof to make it look like hay, or thatch reeds. Very well done.

LavenderFrost
02-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Very pretty!

casualartist
02-08-2008, 11:57 PM
For only a 10th painting you're rockin'!!!! Looks good to me. The only thing my unskilled eye sees is that you could make either, for a strong focal point, the roof or the bricks on the house more detailed but not both. I personally would pick the bricks. Or you could just leave everything alone and move on to the next one. :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work!!!

Andun
02-09-2008, 04:18 AM
Very cool looking painting indeed and a hard topic too.I won't touch a thatched roof just yet!:)

TxAggieDarlin
02-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Oh great picture and thanks for sharing that. I want to go to Ireland someday :) That give a different look, doesn't it. I think the picture I had was from England...do they have thatched roofs there too?

Thank you all for the great advice. This is such a good way to learn and I do appreciate it.

I think I did not know NOT to try this one LOL, so jumped in.

My thoughts are I learn from each one and I enjoy it so it is all good.

Have a great Weekend:wave: