PDA

View Full Version : New Painting

Devinjo
02-07-2008, 01:44 PM
I started this painting 2 days ago from a wonderful photo from the reference library. It is quite large-24 x 24. I am challenging myself to keep this loose- I have about 1 1/2hours into. I am trying to decide how to proceed with the background. I am using some photos of the Irish countryside for background reference. I figured he might as well be in Ireland since it an Irish breed of horse!:) Dh husband is giving a bit of input because,well, he is from Ireland!
I want this to have a moody feel to it. I am really working on my landscapes and need to create a feeling of more depth and space to this.
There is a bit of glare on these photos-the colors are much richer in real life.
Any thoughts on how to proceed? Comments?
All C & C most welcome! Thanks!

24 x24 M Graham acrylics on gessoed board

Kind regards,
Deborah:)

idylbrush
02-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Off to a good start. I rather like the style that is beginning to emerge.

Devinjo
02-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Howard,
Thanks! It's getting there...:p

Margaret 59
02-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Looking good so far but I always thought Clydesdales were Scottish as in the name.

Devinjo
02-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks Margaret. This isn't a Clydesdale. The breed is a Gypsy Vanner. They are like a draught pony. Not very tall but strong. In Ireland they were used to pull the gypsy caravans. Hence the name. They have recently become very popular in ths country.

Here is some info
http://www.romanimountainranch.com/history.html

Charlie's Mum
02-08-2008, 12:14 PM
I like the bottom half of the painting very much, nice loose painting, lovely brushwork - so if you match the top half to it, it'll be great! ;)

Devinjo
02-08-2008, 08:45 PM
I like the bottom half of the painting very much, nice loose painting, lovely brushwork - so if you match the top half to it, it'll be great! ;)

aahhh!! now how do I do that! ;)