PDA

View Full Version : Photoshopping a '' ?

nit-wit
02-07-2008, 06:41 AM
Hello All,

I need to photoshop a '' symbol onto a couple of jpegs. I want the symbol to be transparent and I've racked my brains and tried just about every photoshop filter I can think of, but just can't work it out. Can anyone help?

I'm advanced enough to know about layers etc.

Thanks,

Andrew

leondblue
02-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Here is how I do this sort of stuff... Select your symbol outlines cut and paste it to a new layer then save it as a transparent png file. Insert into your jpegs via any program that handles png (portable networks graphics)files. By transparent I mean a transparent BG. To have a a degree transparency in in your symbol that will have to be set first.

Einion
02-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Piece of cake Andrew:
open image;
make the foreground colour white (hit D, then X);
hit T to select the text tool, click on the image and it will add a new text layer;
add the symbol and change the size and typeface as needed;
change the opacity of the text layer to maybe 10-15%;
flatten the image;
resave with a new name - if you want this to be a separate version to the original image - and you're done.

Einion

Hal R
02-17-2008, 09:23 PM
This is great information, Einion, and I can't wait to try it. However, what are the keystokes on a PC to get the symbol? I just pasted it from your post.

Hal

grahamrj
02-18-2008, 06:01 AM
Alt-0169

More generally, use Character Map (On Vista: Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools).

Hal R
02-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks, Graham. My pc is on XP Pro and unfortunately although "help" indicates the Character Map should be under System Tools-- the Charater Map is not there.

I'll keep searching. It's not an urgent need fortunately.

Hal

Smokin
02-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Its also in custom shape tool.

Einion
02-19-2008, 02:57 AM
This is great information, Einion, and I can't wait to try it.
Like a few things in PS it's really very simple in principle, you just need to know how to approach it.

However, what are the keystokes on a PC to get the symbol?
I don't know any of the ASCII codes on the PC by heart (very much easier to access the entire character set on a Mac!) so for simplicity I usually go into word and Insert > Symbol and click on the one I want.

Einion