PDA

View Full Version : Sunset on the Murray River

Susan Borgas
02-06-2008, 12:33 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2008/13752-Sunset_on_the_Murray_River_500.jpg

Sunset on the Murray River
Approx 47.5cm x 51cm
Pastel on Storm BlueColourfix Paper
Copyright Susan Borgas
Commissioned

:wave: Something different to what you have seen before with my work.

This commissioned piece that you see above had me scratching my head quite a bit. I did learn a lot from it and had to really think hard because the reference photo was developed from a film camera and was basically all black in the shadows of the background and foreground. I don't know about other artists but do find commissioned work more stressful to do as I know that it is often expected that the painting look like the photo. Well in the end when it come to the dark areas I put some music on and just went with the rhythm , using the darks pastels that I used in the sky and water and went for it.

The painting was commissioned as a surprise gift from wife to husband. They already have two of my oil paintings, one from my very early days, the second around the middle period. The husband was very emotional to receive this painting, because it was one that he had wanted painted for quite some time. The pair were very happy that I found so much to paint in the shadows and was a real relief to hear. I have to admit I got a real buzz out of it in the end.

Thanks for looking. :wave:

Tracer
02-06-2008, 12:47 AM
It's absolutely beautiful! I can see why this would be an emotional piece. Just looking at it takes me to a place fishing with my dad....I just love it. Wonderful work. The colors work so well together to give you a since of that early morning pre-dawn quiet. The darks came in perfect!

mrking
02-06-2008, 12:51 AM
I was stunned when I saw it. First because of the beautiful water and then because of the stunning detail in the shadows that you mentioned.

Just wonderful. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

maw-t
02-06-2008, 01:44 AM
AMAZING! I kept scrolling to try to find the painting as I thought that was the photo.. wonderful!!

*Violet*
02-06-2008, 02:27 AM
ya done good !! .... :) .... excellent painting indeed ...

water girl
02-06-2008, 02:31 AM
This is a wonderful piece. Your shadow areas are alive with color. The water reflections are life like. I just can't say enough about this painting!

Mikki Petersen
02-06-2008, 02:53 AM
Wow! You captured that sunset glow in those dark places to perfection. The whole mood of this piece is in perfect harmony. I'll bet they were happy with it...what's not to love?

Mikki

fiannah
02-06-2008, 04:51 AM
gorgeous! I too thought it was a photo :) the detail in the dark areas is wonderful :clap:

Donna T
02-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Really beautiful, Susan. Amazing work on those shadow areas!

Donna

Colorix
02-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Congratulations to a successfully done commission! It is beautiful, and you sure did get lots of detail in the dark foreground! And from *film* photo. In the digital world, it is easier to find what is in the shadows. A detail I really love is the depth of the sky!

breuschle
02-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Wow!...I know, that's been said already, but it bears repeating.:thumbsup:
This is just an incredible job. It really reminds me of many hours spent fishing with my husband at this time of the day. The peacefulness, the quiet (except for some plopping sounds)...I expect to see a "swirl" on the surface at any moment!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Todd Flaming
02-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Susan,
Absolutely incredible piece!! I really enjoy the reflections in the water.:clap:
Thanks for sharing,
Todd

lasib
02-06-2008, 10:05 AM
This is so nice. Beautiful work.

pastellar
02-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Brilliant!!!

Regards
Diane

Westerngirl
02-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Oh, I'll bet this WAS a tricky one! I can just imagine those dark shadowy spots in that photograph. But you have made the shadows come alive. It's a wonderful work, and no wonder that your clients love it!

Geoff
02-06-2008, 11:19 AM
A wonderful quiet peaceful scene.
Love the way you've interwoven colours in the foreground grasses and kept to a fairly limited early morning look palette.

bnoonan
02-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Positively wonderful! Whatever detail you grabbed out of those shadows has worked out beautifully. I am so impressed with the detail and overall restfulness of the scene and piece.

Superb!!! Prepare yourself for more commissions like this I bet!

Barb
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Punky2
02-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Susan,

I'm always so pleased to see posts by you and I am never disappointed.

This is another enchanting piece. Thank you for posting this.

Terri

Susan Borgas
02-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Oh chucks! :o Thanks so much for your replies, you are all wonderful.:wave:

binkie
02-06-2008, 07:41 PM
OMG, it's brilliant!

binkie

Paula Ford
02-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Hi Susan,

I kept thinking, "where's the painting?" LOL...that is the painting! WOW, it looks just like a photo!

Your paintings are all fabulous!

Paula

Susan Borgas
02-06-2008, 07:50 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2008/13752-Scan_of_photo_with_added_light.jpg

Thanks binkie :D

Just as an afterthought I thought I would post a section of the photo from the bottom right hand side but not the whole photo because of copyright. After scanning the photo into the computer I then lightened the darks to see what I could find in the shadows. This is what the dark areas look like in the reference image along with a few finger prints. Anyway it will give you an idea what I was up against.

Cheers, Susan

Susan Borgas
02-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Paula thanks..... I think we crossed posted when I was organizing the last post. :D

Diana_pastels
02-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Susan, this is beautiful! Gives me goosebumps, looking at it. Seems so peaceful, the end of a relaxing day. :thumbsup:
Diana

IMaybe
02-07-2008, 01:40 PM
I am new to this forum, and love it. I love the Murry River scene----and Color fix papers----I am from Neveada! So neat to see work from Austrailia!

Merethe T
02-07-2008, 02:59 PM
At first I thought it was your ref...!! Fantastic piece, the colors are amazing! Then, reading your comment I'm even more impressed....excellent work on the dark parts, it must have been hard.....the clients should be thrilled, this is a great painting...glad to see your work again!

Merethe

Susan Borgas
02-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Diana, IMaybe and Merethe thanks so much. I love to show the parts of Australia that I know well in my work. It was helpful with this piece as I am familiar with the area.