PDA

View Full Version : Red Jalapenos...WIP

acrylicsgirl
02-05-2008, 01:55 AM
Hello Guys...
Its been long....and this is my first painting post...and i hope you guys will like it :D

Its just something i did at the heat of the moment. Suddenly i felt like painting..as i havent done one in a long time.........
There is still lots to do...like shading....but i wanted all your opinion on how it is looking....

C&C are warmly welcome....
Tomorrow morning when i get up i hope to see a lot of C&C's....:wave:

sonita
02-05-2008, 03:22 AM
looks like a good start to me...looks spicey already with all that red :) Curious to see the end result.
Soni

Linee
02-05-2008, 06:06 AM
You have a nice start to this. Did you intend the pun "heat of the moment"? Lol! :D It's looking hot already. :) Looking forward to seeing where you take this.

idylbrush
02-05-2008, 06:12 AM
good start, clean color.

Would you be kind enough to list the size and substrate for us. It helps us get an idea of the scale. Thanks.

Charlie's Mum
02-05-2008, 06:36 AM
So far so good - like to see where you're heading with this :)

purplepansey
02-05-2008, 10:01 AM
This is really "hot stuff" it would make a nice valentine for someone!

acrylicsgirl
02-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Thank you guys....
purplepansey....i think u r right! i have'nt thought about it being something for valentine :D.
idylbrush I dont remember the exact dimensions but will post it later tonight after i get home.
I am going to add some shading and some glasing (probably). I will try to do most tonight and post it.

dreamz
02-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Looking really good so far!
Red jalapenos are of course just mature green jalapenos, I find they usually have more taste and less heat than the less mature greens. They are especially good when stuffed with shrimp or crab mix and roasted.... mmmmMmmm.. now Im going to be craving that....:lol:

CamiTampa
02-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Nice start. Peppers for Valentine?

Cami

SunsetSue
02-05-2008, 04:04 PM
I think you are off to a hot start! You have the basics and I would love to see the finished piece.

loobyteacher
02-05-2008, 04:15 PM
hot hot hot!

acrylicsgirl
02-05-2008, 04:17 PM
i cant wait to get home and start on it....just waiting for the clock to tick 5 :D. Any advice on how glazing should be done? I mean should the liquid medium be used directly or should it be used with color?

acrylicsgirl
02-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Hello guys, after a week i got chance to work on this painting. I am not a trained artist. I just learnt it out of interest, so please tell me where i have to improve.
I still need to get the shading on the Jalapenos right...any suggestions?
and i am making this on 12"X16"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2008/128896-Copy_of_DSC04257.JPG

amotwell
02-10-2008, 07:02 PM
I love this already, but if you want the peppers to have more depth, you might try just a hint (the barest hint) of a cool/blue tone in the deepest shadows to give it dimension.

Start with less than you think you'll need to avoid accidentally going too far. I'd probably add a touch of warm hue to the stems, too, probably the yellow you've already got going.

loobyteacher
02-10-2008, 07:47 PM
great suggestion on the blues in the shading, I would also like to see purple in the shadows... but I like those colors...teehee!

acrylicsgirl
02-15-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi everybody, first HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!:heart:
and.... I finally got time to finish this painting and post it!!! :D
So let me know what do u think.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2008/128896-DSC04260.JPG

howyadoin
02-15-2008, 04:47 AM
Hello guys, after a week i got chance to work on this painting. I am not a trained artist. I just learnt it out of interest, so please tell me where i have to improve.
I still need to get the shading on the Jalapenos right...any suggestions?
and i am making this on 12"X16"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2008/128896-Copy_of_DSC04257.JPGWow, that's a pretty dramatic step (in a good way)beyond the initial photo you showed us. I really dig the Looney Tunes backdrop, and the angular highlights on the peppers.

howyadoin
02-15-2008, 04:49 AM
Hi everybody, first HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!:heart:
and.... I finally got time to finish this painting and post it!!! :D
So let me know what do u think.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2008/128896-DSC04260.JPGAnd of course, I somehow missed the second page when I made my last post. This looks great - very vibrant, and kinda makes me hungry.

Thomas Greaves
02-15-2008, 10:03 AM
I followed this thread from its start, and I haven't commented yet because I wasn't sure what direction you were going to take.
Now that it's finished, I'm still not sure what I think about it. What I CAN say is that I like the way you looked for a different way to portray your subject, and I like that you are not afraid to make full use of the colours. Both those attributes are, I think, commendable.
It's not an easy task to place a simple subject, such as this, into the centre of an image and make it work. But your handling of the background has maintained interest throughout, and I reckon you pulled it off well.
originally posted by Amotwell:
I love this already, but if you want the peppers to have more depth, you might try just a hint (the barest hint) of a cool/blue tone in the deepest shadows to give it dimension
If realism on the peppers is what you are looking for, I would agree with that suggestion, to a degree. But rather than blue, I would have chosen the same green that you used in the darker areas of the stems, used sensitively as a glaze, and just in the darkest areas of shadow. As its complimentary, the green would still suggest that the eye was seeing red, and would actually intensify the appearance of the red highlights. Same idea goes for the stems, just a tiny amount of red in the shadows would still make them appear green, but would help define the form a little better.
Nice work, :thumbsup:

TxAggieDarlin
02-15-2008, 10:27 AM
I think it is VERY good and it looks VERY hot...It looks like a competition between the sun and the pepper as to which is the hotter.....Believe me, in Texas, they are both HOT....:)

acrylicsgirl
02-15-2008, 10:56 AM
If realism on the peppers is what you are looking for, I would agree with that suggestion, to a degree. But rather than blue, I would have chosen the same green that you used in the darker areas of the stems, used sensitively as a glaze, and just in the darkest areas of shadow. As its complimentary, the green would still suggest that the eye was seeing red, and would actually intensify the appearance of the red highlights. Same idea goes for the stems, just a tiny amount of red in the shadows would still make them appear green, but would help define the form a little better.
Nice work, :thumbsup:
I see your point....and i agree, but not sure if i can do anything more on it now....coz last night i just wanted to finish it as i got a new idea for my next painting so i applied glazing medium on it.... I am not sure if i can still edit it after applying glaze :confused:... help!!!!!

Thomas Greaves
02-15-2008, 11:01 AM
I am not sure if i can still edit it after applying glaze ... help!!!!!
Someone will certainly correct me if I'm wrong [I never glaze my works], but I'm pretty sure you can, you can even use the glazing medium to thin your colours, and then just apply as you would normally.

Thomas

Nomad_Ca
02-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Nice Job ! at first I thought it was gonna be another "pepper on a plate" still life but now I see that it was a to be a sunburst..very cool..makes the peppers more dimensional and popping off the canvas..good colors.

LavenderFrost
02-15-2008, 04:19 PM
That hot spot on the background certainly enhances the spiciness of the painting. I think the peppers and stems are nicely modeled, just needs a little more shading on the bottom pepper. I don't know about painting over glaze, I've never coated a painting like that.

~~Kathleen
02-15-2008, 04:28 PM
I am sitting here (looking out my window, where the only thing protecting me from -40C. is a pane of glass!):wink2:
And then I clicked here and saw your wonderfully vibrant warm painting.
Thank-you so much for sharing this with us.
I got the warm fuzzies looking at it!
~~Kathleen

Lady Carol
02-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Wow that looks so much better that your first version. You have a good use of blue in there to offset the red. Well done.