PDA

View Full Version : Dabs

aureliof
02-04-2008, 11:09 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2008/115206-lalle_des_alyscamps.jpg
i posted this in landscapes, too. It is per a painting by Gauguin called L'allee des Alyscamps, Arles. From before he went to Tahiti. i never paint in this style but i wanted to try this painting in a style that in not associated with Gauguin. I am afraid it is too saccharine. Maybe next one i will try to paint in natural strokes with far less intense hues. Thanks for looking.

Thomas Greaves
02-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Don't worry about your bold colours......use them to express yourself.
Your interpretation of this is superb. You have maintained a great balance. I love it.

Thomas.

Andun
02-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Looks real good to me!!:) I like the bright,bold colors!

aureliof
02-05-2008, 02:21 AM
Thomas & Anthony, thank you both very much for your encouraging replies. I don't mean to knock bold colors at all, just that i am often not sure if my handling of them is good. At the same time i am trying to learn oil painting partly to temper my inclinations toward bold colors and broaden my knowledge. But i am very happy that you both like this one. :) Thank you again. --Aurelio

sonita
02-05-2008, 03:15 AM
Nice style and colors, enjoy looking at it! Nice job :)
Soni

arl
02-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Lovely colours and brush strokes.

purplepansey
02-05-2008, 09:58 AM
I like the very colorful look of it. It has somewhat of a pointillist look to it.

gurleygirl
02-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Interesting work. I really like it!
Tracey

CamiTampa
02-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Too saccharine! I think not. I love it. I may steal your palette.

Cami

loobyteacher
02-05-2008, 04:31 PM
reminds me of Georges-Pierre Seurat .

aureliof
02-06-2008, 04:28 AM
Looby, Cami, Tracey, Purple, Arlene & Sonita, Gosh, thank you all for your comments. I found something interesting today when put a slender black frame around the painting. It suddenly felt good to me. Thanks for seeing what i could before.
Best,
Aurelio

Linee
02-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Aurelio, somehow I missed this. Those bright colors are gorgeous and the application full of energy. I bet the black frame makes a nice final touch.

LavenderFrost
02-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Looks good. I do a lot of dabbing like that when painting leaves but it's hard on the brushes.

aureliof
02-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Linda, the black does indeed forgive what i was struggling with. Glad you got to see it. I liked your series of the house in seasons that I saw recently by the way. Michelle, you're very right about the beating the brushes endure. My usual approach is to do a lot of hard blending on other canvases. It leaves some brushes with something resembling crew cuts after a while.:)

SunsetSue
02-07-2008, 12:58 AM
This is great. I love the bold colors. Very nice.

C_Line
02-07-2008, 08:08 AM
What's not too love? Who couldn't be happy looking at this painting? I love the zig-zag vertical interruption to create some tension in the composition.

aureliof
02-07-2008, 09:13 AM
What's not too love? Who couldn't be happy looking at this painting? I love the zig-zag vertical interruption to create some tension in the composition.
Hi, Celeste. You observation of the zig-zag interruption is interesting. While so much understandably leads to the door, i like the center of this picture, the hidden places made by this big tree. I think these help. Thanks for seeing this. --Aurelio

elisabethk
02-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Your suggestion that so much understandably leads to the door intrigues me because my eye does go immediately to the stones and the tree. And I love the idea of hidden places. I hope you don't mind but you inspired me to play with your image in photoshop, using your colors and your brush strokes and your details in different areas of the painting. It was so much fun, like wandering around and playing in someone else's yard. Trading spaces with paintings. If you'd like, I'll send you one of mine and you can do the same. I'm thinking about painting a field at the edge of the woods and in my field will be a path and a bench. I have no idea how to approach a landscape like this so the results will be comic, but I will try. And I will need all the help I can get.

Since I love the deep red that grounds the house, I added a little bit of this to the stones just to lead the eye more towards the door. And I liked the idea of a path. I imagined a path, like something Andy Goldsworthy would create, of red leaves leading to the house. (http://www.msu.edu/~eggermel/Andy_Goldsworthy_Rowan_Leaves_with_Hole.jpg) And I darkened/desaturated the foreground a bit so it's almost like climbing up out of the darkness into the sunshine of this sanctuary.

I'm probably going to get kicked off wetcanvas for doing this and so hope that it is not offensive. Your work is beautiful and I love watching your postings. Thanks.

gaykir
02-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Your painting is captivating. It seems to me that the dabs are a lot of work!

Charlie's Mum
02-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Here's an idea of it with your slim black frame Aurelio.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2008/30494-115206-lalle_des_alyscamps_mk_2.jpg

I do like the bright and vibrant colour - I especially like the hot colours tempered by the blues of the sky area. Interesting to see Gauguin through the eyes of VG! :lol:
... and I'm glad you haven't deserted us completely! :D

aureliof
02-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Gayle, i never tried before painting this way. I found that painting with some opera and piano music seemed to make it effortless and in passages actually created the rhythm for the strokes. Worth a try. Of course, some other music will do, but i was listening to things that for me suited well what what there.

Maureen, thank you adding the frame. Even something so spare makes a difference. I will continue painting with acrylics even as i continue with the oils so i will try not to be a stranger. Thank you always.

Your suggestion that so much understandably leads to the door intrigues me because my eye does go immediately to the stones and the tree. And I love the idea of hidden places. I hope you don't mind but you inspired me to play with your image in photoshop, using your colors and your brush strokes and your details in different areas of the painting. It was so much fun, like wandering around and playing in someone else's yard. Trading spaces with paintings. If you'd like, I'll send you one of mine and you can do the same. I'm thinking about painting a field at the edge of the woods and in my field will be a path and a bench. I have no idea how to approach a landscape like this so the results will be comic, but I will try. And I will need all the help I can get.

Since I love the deep red that grounds the house, I added a little bit of this to the stones just to lead the eye more towards the door. And I liked the idea of a path. I imagined a path, like something Andy Goldsworthy would create, of red leaves leading to the house. (http://www.msu.edu/~eggermel/Andy_Goldsworthy_Rowan_Leaves_with_Hole.jpg (http://www.msu.edu/%7Eeggermel/Andy_Goldsworthy_Rowan_Leaves_with_Hole.jpg)) And I darkened/desaturated the foreground a bit so it's almost like climbing up out of the darkness into the sunshine of this sanctuary.

I'm probably going to get kicked off wetcanvas for doing this and so hope that it is not offensive. Your work is beautiful and I love watching your postings. Thanks.
Elisabeth, i will not press charges if the posting police come calling. :) You never need for my permission. In fact, i love what you have given to this in photoshop and it inspires me to visit again this scene. It reminds me of my first house, which was made of stone and mortar in the ancient way. I wonder if the actual place still stands. The reference of leaves by Goldsworthy is beautiful, i love the way his gradations move so gracefully. I would wear a shirt with that image. You're inspiring me to do try this again, only now in oil and see what comes together.

And your field on edge of woods i would love to see, with its bench and path. While any place can be wonderful for comedy and laughter, i am sure that your result will be lovely, please do share. I picture such a place.

elisabethk
02-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Thank you, Aurelio. I'm so relieved. I don't know if you've seen much of Andy Goldsworthy's work. A few years ago (or maybe more) he produced a video called "rivers and tides" that documents his extraordinary process. I think you'd enjoy his work. His extraordinary patience inspires me. He builds monuments only to watch them blow away with the wind or wash away with the tide. For the sake of experiencing one miraculous moment fully and completely. Photography of his work is beautiful but only through the video can you comprehend the magnitude of his investment.

I'm looking forward to your next.