PDA

View Full Version : Zombear

spearmintjoe
02-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Before and after shots, 4x2 acrylic on care bear. I'm looking for something suitably macabre for his belly, any ideas?

Thomas Greaves
02-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Erm......I do have ideas, but I feel sure that WC would censor them.
Personally, without you explaining what you are trying to say with this, I find it....... distasteful is mild enough I suppose.
I think the 'Butt' symbol should have been used.

Thomas.

LavenderFrost
02-04-2008, 12:27 PM
As a horror fan, I like this. I think something cute on the belly, like that cupcake, would make it more twisted.

spearmintjoe
02-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Thomas, I'm not trying to say anything with this, it's just a bit of black humour, though you're right, I should of added the butt.

I like you're idea Michelle, I'll get thinking.

dreamz
02-04-2008, 02:10 PM
aaahhhh the twisted mind of an artist..... how about a couple of claws ripping their way out? Or a born to be cuddly tattoo?

I stopped at a yardsale the other day and picked up a "lifesize" barbie, I wonder how horrified the gal would have been to know I intend it for a halloween display:lol:

loobyteacher
02-04-2008, 02:15 PM
I can't really tell what you have placed on the belly already, but I like the idea of the tatoo... done is some kind of gothic or drippy writing.

howyadoin
02-04-2008, 06:45 PM
I'd say the protruding intestines are enough on the belly. Anything you added would detract from that, in my opinion.

BigEpsilon
02-04-2008, 08:23 PM
I like it, my wife is an carebear collector and I know she would love that. No butt symbol needed for that, just a little horror piece.

Thomas Greaves
02-04-2008, 08:51 PM
OK, so it's just a little bit of dark humour.
My question though is this.
In view of the Care-Bear symbolism, and its intended market, [mostly toddlers], what is the next progression in this line of 'humour'?
My interpretation of this pieces is simple, the horrifically mutilated care-bear is a mutillation of its symbolism and association with small children. It is a direct assault on childhood itself.
That is precisely what makes it so 'funny' to some of you, whether you care to admit it or not.
You are all welcome to your own opinions, but personally I think it's sick.

Thomas.

airforcewife
02-05-2008, 01:20 AM
I grew up playing with care bears and all I can say is I'll never look at a care bear the same again. I'm not sure I get the point of it but then I'm not into dark humor.

sonita
02-05-2008, 03:44 AM
Well I'm a horror fan as well but I get sad by just looking at this .
Soni

jeff m
02-05-2008, 01:48 PM
I stopped at a yardsale the other day and picked up a "lifesize" barbie, I wonder how horrified the gal would have been to know I intend it for a halloween display:lol:

I hope that was a Barbie.:D

Slippery slope.
I think we are on the wrong track a bit here, while I do not disagree with some of the comments I feel we should not be too critical of subject matter.
If this were a subject forum, ie inspirational, marine or landscape then ok.
But this would, if taken too extreem, open up "OMG, not another flower"
Maybe just a "pass" is appropriate.

SJ,
Well, looks like you got the shock impact you were looking for.
Paintingwise I would say the opening in the bear is a little too round.
Did you consider the torn fabric approach.

spearmintjoe
02-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Thomas I think you're reading far too much into this. There is no sybolism in ANY of my work. A painting of a dog is just a painting of a dog, the pose and colours used are because I think that it would look good at the time. I think I would have got less of a reaction if I had modeled a 'normal' zombie which is in essence a dead human rather than a modified inanimate plastic bear.

Jeff, this was an experimentation piece done for a bit of what I thought was fun, no shock impact was sought. I think anymore I do in this series I'll keep to myself.

sonita
02-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Well this whole project is just a split matter of opinion I think. It is different that is true. Well I like I mentioned before wasn't to crazy about the look and it made me kinda sad...on the other hand my husband seemed to really get a kick out of it and suggested one or two broken teeth would be an asset.
Soni

howyadoin
02-05-2008, 06:09 PM
My interpretation of this pieces is simple, the horrifically mutilated care-bear is a mutillation of its symbolism and association with small children. It is a direct assault on childhood itself.Or it just be another example of the booming zombie market these days. There are dozens of zombie comics, action figures, a few movies, etc. Marvel Comics has done a bunch of zombie covers on their regular comics, and they're usually spoofs of well-known existing covers, exactly the way this Care Bear has been reworked.

To my knowledge none of the people involved have murdered any children.

Roger Evans
02-05-2008, 08:43 PM
While this piece might be better suited to the sculpture forum, I think that the only issue that should be discussed here is on the execution of the work, which seems to me to be first rate (and funny in a black humor light). Getting into discussions about poor taste is a really, really slippery slope, especially if "poor taste" becomes the litmus for whether someone here can post their work. Not everyone's work can withstand that type of scrutiny. I have seen a number of paintings on this forum of questionable taste (as in "tacky"), even though they were technically well done. I think some of my own work might even qualify as being in bad taste or, certainly, not fine art material. ;)

My two cents.....

Roger

BigEpsilon
02-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Jeff, this was an experimentation piece done for a bit of what I thought was fun, no shock impact was sought. I think anymore I do in this series I'll keep to myself.

I hope you continue to share your work as some of us do like it, and although it may not be for everybody, is there anything that really is?:D

tubbekans
02-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Lovely little bear there Joe! Reminds me of the Resident Evil movie series with Milla Jovovich. I think the zombie kids were eating the teachers in one of those movies. Yummy. They had lots of ketchup on them too. Seems to me Zombear could use a barbie leg in his left hand, or some such tasty tidbit.

Hi Thomas, these zombie movies are quite popular in the U.S. currently, possibly partly because of the not unattractive M. Jovovich, the uplifting subject matter and fast action sequences. Of course, there are probably quite a few people here who don't like them also. People who have different tastes in movies, and dining for instance...:D

Here is a link to the Sony Pictures site about the 5 movies. There is a series of computer games on them as well, just in case you didn't want to know...they are coming... :music: insert scary music here. :music: :eek:

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/residentevilextinction/

Hmmm Joe, maybe an umbrella corporation symbol on his tummy. That might violate some copyright thing though.

CamiTampa
02-05-2008, 11:05 PM
I wonder, would so many have been upset if it was Teletubbys instead of Care bears?

I opened my mouth so now I have to say something. I've looked this thread over 2 or 3 times and my opinion is:

By "my" definition, if I look at a presumed work of art and can say "Yeah, I get it." then to me it's art. I sort of get this, so to me it's sort of art. I may not like it, (and I don't,) but I do get it. I do believe parody is a legitimate art form. The key here is I don't have to like it for it to be art.

Everyones definition of art is different, so to each his own.

Cami

sonita
02-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Teletubby instead of Care Bear :) ...that was a good one Cami hehe. Who would have known that a little zombie baer would have started such a big conversation. I really like this thread by now...so many different opinions.
Soni

Halvallan
02-06-2008, 06:38 AM
Hmmm, maybe the thought police are here.

The comment that I made on this thread last night at about 9 p.m. (WC time) has disappeared completely; it has even been removed from my Posts count.

This is a moderated forum so the moderators are fully entitled to remove my post; but I would expect to receive a PM to inform me of such an action. Otherwise I am left wondering whether I said something wrong or whether there was a hard/software glitch

Steve

Charlie's Mum
02-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Joe - I added the butt icon (very early in this thread) so that parents who didn't want their children to view this wouldn't open it with them present ...... not because of 'nudity'!!!!! (I don't know why the edit comment hasn't been added to the bottom of the first post, as is normal!)

As for the rest of the thread - if anyone doesn't like the subject matter, they don't have to comment in the thread!

Yes, perhaps Sculpture may have been a better forum, but Joe frequently posts in Acrylics - most of us regard a particular forum as 'home', so maybe Joe sees here as his WC! 'home .... therefore, as the work is in acrylics, he's entitled to post here :)

Let's, please, keep discussion to the work Joe has presented rather than getting too far of-topic about 'taste' and 'Horror' comics/stories/films etc .... (all of which may well be of interest to many,) but that's not the subject ... Joe's bear is!

Have fun discussing his possible decoration of the bear ;)

spearmintjoe
02-07-2008, 09:59 AM
To be honest, I thought that the discussion of the subject was more interesting than the subject itself.

Charlie's Mum
02-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Lol Joe - perhaps you should open a new thread challenging others to describe 'taste' and 'tastelessness' in art! :lol: ...... see what it throws up ;)