PDA

View Full Version : new fantasy piece

susme48
02-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Good morning all! Am still floating from the sale this weekend at the library showing. Since I sold the Depot, I figured I need to start another one of the same type in case anyone else likes it. (it will be hanging in the show till the end of Feb.). I hope to do that this am, since my son went to school for a change!:clap:

I also have another showing coming up at the gallery where I sold the last fantasy attempt I made for my hubby and covered with glitter and never quite finished. So I thought maybe I should give it another, more serious try....this is just the first working of it while my son was taking a nap yesterday....c&c is very welcome.

The one that sold was 12x12 paper,and I put a copy in the attatchment so you could let me know if I am doing better on this one; this one is 11x14 canvas board...and NO glitter...lol. What I see is that I need to work on the rocks more, and on the dragon's color and wings. Let me know what you see.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2008/51170-newdragwiz1x.jpg

LavenderFrost
02-04-2008, 12:29 PM
You did all that during your son's nap?

susme48
02-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Yep, Michelle...lol...he takes long naps (about 3 hrs) due to all the meds he is on (he is special needs in case you did not know). When he is awake, I spend all my time "chasing" him around the house to keep him from being destructive or getting hurt...or hurting the dogs. He has ADHD, autism and FAS (fetal alcohol syndrome from his birth mother's drinking and drug use). He is my blessing, stress inducer, inspiration, and the reason I paint; one to try and earn a little money from home, and mostly to regain my peace and composure from the joy of painting.

loobyteacher
02-04-2008, 02:31 PM
wow you have your hands full, what a blessing you are to your son, and what a blessing, I am sure, he is to you!
Anyway, I know you are asking for comparisons of the two works. The one that you sold has great value contrasts, going from very light to very dark tones. You placed the warmest and lightest colors directly behind the castle to grab our focus. The new work has contrast in the waves, but they are not what is important in your piece. Perhaps if you would lighten the area in the dragon wings. You need to work on the values... you have a lot of mid tones but not too much really dark or really light. I hope this helps

susme48
02-05-2008, 12:22 AM
Loobyteacher, I think I understand what you mean; part of the problem may have been the color scheme my pc is using...between a cheap scanner, lack of camera, and having to piece together each half of the pic...the colors sometimes loose alot in translation, so to speak. I played around with the colors on the update I did today, and I hope it looks better; the other one was really not quite as drab as the copy I made looked. I had thought about putting a sort of backlighting/halo effect around the wizard, but thought that might be too much...maybe a chrystal ball in the empty hand with a glow around it? I am having trouble deciding exactly how to put in the shadows. The problem of using composite reference pics is that nothing is quite the same with shadowing and light sources; but even with the haze, I feel as tho' the light source is from the right side of the canvas, so I am assuming I put the shadows towards the left? Lord I hate being so new that I have to ask, and I wish I could afford to take classes to learn a few more of the basics, but I keep trying to teach myself...and one of these days I hope I'll get there. I have alot to learn in a short time, since I started painting so late in life. Thanks for your comments, I need all the help I can get.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2008/51170-newdragwiz2.jpg

And I do have my hands full...after today, they hurt almost as bad as my arms, shoulders, and shins...we had some pretty bad behavior this afternoon. Don't think I'll be doing any painting tonight. Thank god I duck and weave pretty good...lol.

Linee
02-05-2008, 06:15 AM
Susan, this looks a lot brighter and energetic than the first posting. I get stuck on lighting, too. One of the reasons I rely on a good photo or painting from life. I hope your body has a chance to recover a bit and you can have a smoother day today.

arowana
02-05-2008, 06:33 AM
I am a foster parent after my own kids grew up, so know only too well at the exhaustion and also the sheer joy you are experiencing. But coming back to painting after 'lots' of years realy does help me wind down and destress. Love your paintings and how bright they are and look forward to seeing more.

arl
02-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Congratulations on your sales. The works look great.

susme48
02-07-2008, 06:58 PM
I am so sorry that I don't get back to thanking everyone for their C&C sooner than I do....as you know some days here are better than others for getting things done.

Linda...thanks, my camera seems to have died for now, and unless my hubby can get one of his working, I am stuck with scanner. I tried my integrated webcam, but that was worse with all the mixed lighting sources in my office/studio; plus hard to hold the painting straight and still see to take a shot...lol

Arowana, thanks for the compliment, and the understanding....those who have worked with special needs kids understand alot...he has such a mix of disabilities, that it keeps it "interesting".

Arlene...thanks!

susme48
02-07-2008, 08:57 PM
ps...what does anyone think about a chrystal ball in his hand, with a glow around it...IF I could paint it realistically enough....lol????

Paulafv
02-07-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm glad you think your triple whammy son is a blessing, and I'm glad he is to you. It's difficult and fulfilling when these kids show even an inch of progress.
You are doing well with your painting. You are correct that if the sun is coming from the right, the shadows would be on the left. A way to test this out that might amuse you and teach at the same time would be to take a tree, plant, house you can see from your window and draw or paint it during the day when the sun comes up til the sun goes down. You will learn most everything about sun and shadows, and don't forget to see the colors in the shadows.

Good luck.

Paula

LavenderFrost
02-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Oh, one thing I hate is trying to figure out shadows. That can be hard.

A crystal ball would look cool, I think.

MrsG_SoCal
02-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Congrats on the sale! Have you ever done any book illustrations? I think your style would be very nice in children's books.

sonita
02-08-2008, 02:09 AM
Adorable :)
Soni

susme48
02-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Well...unless y'all or one of my hometown critics says I messed up...here is the final piece.

Paula, thanks for the advice on the shadows, I hate working with composite pics because of the possible mistakes, let me know if I messed up. And you are so right about my son.

Michelle...I hope it looks cool and real enough....hubby likes it, but he is predjudiced...lol.

MrsG...thanks for the congrats...and no, but would love to, if I knew how to go about doing it.

Thanks Soni!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2008/51170-newdragwiz3x1.jpg

loobyteacher
02-08-2008, 08:39 PM
The contrasts are much better in your final piece. I am glad you did the improvements!

LavenderFrost
02-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Looks great Susan!