PDA

View Full Version : Hooked on old houses...

jillstefaniwagner
02-03-2008, 06:13 PM
I just love capturing the "story" implied in old houses. There seems like there must be so much history hidden in their walls. This old house is on one of our main streets in Saline, Michigan.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2008/102124-Celebration.sm.jpg

mrking
02-03-2008, 06:22 PM
I love the blue in the shingles!

Very nice. The flag distracts me though. Sorry.

Donna T
02-03-2008, 07:58 PM
This is a beauty Jill, as are all the houses on your website. These older homes have so much charm. I guess your design background must come in handy for these complicated scenes. What size is this and what do you work on? (Enquiring minds want to know). I would love to see one of your paintings up close to see how you place the strokes of pastel closely together to get subtle color and value changes.

Donna

water girl
02-03-2008, 08:02 PM
This is so charming and yes, it makes you wonder about the story behind the facade. Lovely colors as well.

Merriel
02-03-2008, 10:48 PM
This is great. What a drawing challenge. I like the flag in the picture it gives it more of a presence for me. Very well done. Nice choice of colors. Also I love the darks under the hedge.

merriel

stormfin
02-04-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm hooked on old houses, too...because of your paintings! I came across your work several weeks ago because of some other post you had made, and something just clicked in my head. For a couple of years now I have been noticing my attraction to houses as a subject, but my experiments failed because I tried to capture the whole house, or the whole property. The way you do it is key; zooming in on the welcoming parts, like the porches, and the windows peeking out through lots of trees.

I swear when I view your house paintings I smell things, like Fall approaching, or cooking coming from inside, or sun baked man-made surfaces in the Summer time.

BetsyPriesing
02-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I haven't any crit for it i just love it....i have also tried old houses and haven't really gotten the feeling that this crop suggests very well done

Diana_pastels
02-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Oh, I love this! I love the flag, the porch, the open window to let the wonderful day in, everything!
Diana

Colorix
02-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Lovely! You caught an intimate *and* almost abstract scene. Great angle, love the comp!

soap
02-06-2008, 01:46 AM
Gorgeous. Very much enjoyed your work on your website. You should come to England and paint old houses here!

maw-t
02-06-2008, 02:06 AM
This is just SO good!

Mikki Petersen
02-06-2008, 02:57 AM
What a great angle you have chosen to paint. There is a great story going on here just as you say you are thinking about. Beautiful.

Mikki

Kathryn Wilson
02-06-2008, 08:10 AM
I've always loved looking at good architecture, but wondered how to incorporate a whole house into a painting - seeing this, now I know why yours is so successful. Wonderful painting!

breuschle
02-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Beautiful! You are so good at finding just the right crop. I'm an "Old House" person too. Old houses and wooden boats...they just have something that draws me to them. We lived in a 100 year old house that had been in the same family until the year before we bought it. I got to see photos of the house at the turn of the century...the LAST century....with the entire family lined up in my front yard, complete with "muttonchop" mustaches and "Gibson Girl" hairdos. The family told me which little room was always the nursery, where the Christmas tree always stood, and where Grandpa was sitting in his rocker when lightening struck the house, broke the upstairs hall mirror and turned Grandpas big toe black! He was ok though. Sorry for getting off topic, but I miss that old house:( Maybe someday we'll have another one. thanks for the memories Jill!
:wave:

lasib
02-06-2008, 10:07 AM
I really like this. I love the house in the background also.