PDA

View Full Version : Practice Portrait Color Comments Please

binkie
02-03-2008, 04:56 PM
:wave: I've been so excited about painting looser since I took Alicia's workshop that I decided to try it on Canson. It's a practice piece before I do it larger on suede.

It was quite a bit different using the technique on Canson but I'm finding I have so much more freedom with the pastels, and therefore more pleasure.

There are things I want to change when I repaint it - a lot of tweaking. But CCs sure will be welcome. I painted this from a black and white photo so I sure would appreciate comments on color.

9x12, Nupastels

binkie

K Taylor-Green
02-03-2008, 05:07 PM
It's wonderful! You are really coming along after Alicia's workshop, Gwen!

AliciaS
02-03-2008, 05:14 PM
great job Binkie!! now the wonderful colors you put in the cheeks ..go ahead and put those on the nose..bring that nose forward..remember there is an actual ball on the tip of the nose.think rudolph and then you can go over it with another color..but you've got to pull that forward....great job she is full over color!!!

binkie
02-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks Katherine and Alicia!

Alicia, the reason I didn't put more color on the nose is because she has a very flat nose and I didn't want it to stand out. Will give it a try though. Thanks again.

binkie

klord
02-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi binkie,

THis is wonderful! Great movement and feeling, and nice color.

klord
02-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Sorry, hit the button twice.

AliciaS
02-03-2008, 06:04 PM
binkie to amake the nose flat..you need to minimize the bridge.of the nose ..bring the flesh color directly accross the bridge the same value as the skin tones..but still warm up the tip of the nose..because even with a flat nose there still is the tip coming forward...try it ..if it looks stupid ..then never mind...;)

binkie
02-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Alicia, Thanks for the advice. You are a true mentor and such a wonderful person to offer your advice.

Kim, Thanks! I checked out your website and your paintings are fabulous!

binkie

Gail V
02-03-2008, 07:37 PM
I think you did a fantastic job working from a black and white photo - impressive!

klord
02-04-2008, 12:39 AM
Thank you, Binkie.

I just realized that you painted this from a b&w photo. Great job! Your color works so well, and I really love the looseness of your strokes.

annepropst
02-04-2008, 08:52 AM
I think it is wonderful binkie.

Colorix
02-04-2008, 05:58 PM
I totally love the tenderness of it. Not the typical western world image of mother and child, and more lovely for being different. REally good work with this.

binkie
02-05-2008, 02:17 AM
Gail, Anne, Charlie, Thank you so much for your kind comments. Kim, thanks again!

I've been tweaking the painting but have so overworked it. It's been great practice though.

Any other suggestions before I try it on suede?

Thanks so much for looking.

binkie