PDA

View Full Version : mediums

JoshR
06-24-2002, 03:52 PM
Is it necessary to use a medium (besides your actual oil paint of course)? I know there are different effects you can achieve with different mediums, but can you use the paint out of the tube? By the way, I'm interested in wildlife and nature for future subjects, any tips more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

JustjoGA
06-24-2002, 03:56 PM
Josh, go to the Animals & Wildlife forum and repost your question, and to the Reference Library for photos. I'm sure someone in the A&W forum can give you an answer to your question.

Linoxyn
06-24-2002, 04:08 PM
Josh, there is absolutely no need to use an added medium or even a solvent to your tube oil paints. The choice of using a medium can be a complex one, sometimes it's made out of a need to alter the handling properties of the paint you are using, sometimes to hasten or slow down drying, sometimes to play 'follow the others', and sometimes to find a quick fix to a painting problem. The choice is yours. Even using no added medium could be the wrong decision for you, but then it comes down to your decision and how you get to it.

hblenkle
06-24-2002, 05:17 PM
if you are painting many layers, it is said to be good to paint fat over lean. bottom layers containing less or no extra medium (fat). this is to help the painting from cracking. if painting all in one sitting, this rule is followed less often.

Luis Guerreiro
06-24-2002, 10:02 PM
Hi,

Try to do some research on the subject of mediums.
Please see below for guidance, there is a little button on the site to run searches. Have fun.
Kind regards
Luis :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2002/wetcanvas_search.jpg