PDA

View Full Version : WIP - CC's welcome as always

dvantuyl
02-02-2008, 04:35 PM
I have someone wanting me to do a larger piece and she liked an Oak that I did which was 9x12. This is a much larger painting, and I do not do many large paintings so here goes.

18" x 22" on Wallis paper. Am I ready to show this to my client? Need more work? Help!

*Marina*
02-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Like it very much Donna, no landscapist, so cannot tell you whether it needs more. Just looks great.

bnoonan
02-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Donna - yet another beauty. I'm new enough to landscapes that I defer to the experts.

it's an interesting composition - my eye is wandering out the path and yet I get yanked back into the front with that strong tree shape. Were there any branches on the two trunks that overlapped with each other? I'm thinking it may bring them closer together a bit.

Just a thought - Barb

klord
02-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Donna,

In my humble opinion this is ready to go! Fantastic job. Barb makes a great suggestion, and the tree could benefit a branch or mass of leaves crossing between the two trunks, but I think if you feel it is finished, then go for it! Everything is working, color, comp, feeling, atmosphere, depth. Congratulations!

Kim

dvantuyl
02-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Donna,

In my humble opinion this is ready to go! Fantastic job. Barb makes a great suggestion, and the tree could benefit a branch or mass of leaves crossing between the two trunks, but I think if you feel it is finished, then go for it! Everything is working, color, comp, feeling, atmosphere, depth. Congratulations!

Kim

Thank you so much for responding. Made my day. I decided not to let her know right away that I was finished. She might think it was to easy. Started this yesterday and it just flowed.

I think I will add some leaves crossing between the two trunks as you and Barb suggest, there were not any in the picture and so I did not even think of it. The deer and the wind influence these oak trees and they take on some interesting shapes and angles.

Barb, and applebee thank you for your thoughts.

Adriana Meiss
02-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Hi Donna,
This is really beautiful. The sense of space is great.
I agree about having some overlapping branches. I would add one more thing: when I look at the grass right under the tree, and squint my eyes, it seems that it has the same value as the trees in the distance, I would define that area just a little bit, but again, this is just my opinion.
Adriana

DAK723
02-02-2008, 06:10 PM
It looks great. I would not change a thing.

Don

PeggyB
02-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Donna this is looking really good. My biggest question is: Where are the shadows under the tree? Although you've put shadow there, it is almost all the same value. The greens in the foreground and in the shadow are all the same muted grayed green as some of the distant greens. The lighting on the trunks of the tree look as though the direction of the light is coming almost from the right front lower corner, but there isn't much indication of that on the ground or on the leaves of the branches also in that direction. The light at the top of the tree suggests the sun is directly over head so wouldn't the trunks be a bit more shadowed if that's the case?

In other words, if this were mine I'd play just a little bit more with the lights and darks to make it more apparent where the light is coming from, and to hold the attention a bit longer at the tree which you've said you want as the focus. The split trunk doesn't bother me at all not having branches cross it because I've seen this too, and perhaps your client has also. If it didn't bother her in the smaller version then this won't either. I know what it is like "repainting" a larger version of something you've already done, and you've done a good job so far.

I had to laugh when you said you are holding off showing this to the client since you don't want her to think you did it too quickly. Sometimes it is in our own best interest to do exactly this because the next one might not come so easily, and then what do you do when they are expecting another quick finish? :confused:

Peggy

Paula Ford
02-02-2008, 08:04 PM
It's beautiful!! I think it needs a bit of work under the main trees...more darks and it looks a bit fuzzy and out of focus compared to the rest of the painting. It's really beautiful though!!

Paula

klord
02-02-2008, 08:09 PM
All due respect to Peggy here...Paula and Adriana, but I agree with Don. THere is a wonderful quality of mood and light that is so strong in this piece, to me. Sometimes one needs to forsake reality for the feeling or impression of a piece. If you haven't started to put leaves/branch in the tree, I would leave that alone as well.

My two cents, and worth about half that in todays market!:D

AliciaS
02-02-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm no landscaper either.. but this is stunning i love the leaves on the trees!!

fiannah
02-02-2008, 09:00 PM
i cant add anything more to the advice, so i'll just tell you I think that it is beautiful! :clap:

water girl
02-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Gorgeous! I feel as if I could can walk past that tree in the field, down into the valley until I reach the far away mountains.

binkie
02-03-2008, 01:14 AM
I think it is absolutely gorgeous! I love the colors and the way you rendered the tree.

binkie

Mikki Petersen
02-03-2008, 02:02 AM
It's perfect as it is...show it proudly!

Mikki

PeggyB
02-03-2008, 02:05 AM
All due respect to Peggy here...Paula and Adriana, but I agree with Don. THere is a wonderful quality of mood and light that is so strong in this piece, to me. Sometimes one needs to forsake reality for the feeling or impression of a piece. If you haven't started to put leaves/branch in the tree, I would leave that alone as well.

My two cents, and worth about half that in todays market!:D

:lol: :lol: :lol: I forgot to add that my critique is based upon what my monitor revels. You could be absolutely right Kim. It is difficult to know what another artist wants to portray when one doesn't really know them nor paint with them on a regular basis. As far as I'm concerned, there are no absolutes in art, and each of us must learn to paint from our own perspective.

Peggy

Donna T
02-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Absolutely beautiful! I love the soft lighting and the wonderful sense of distance. Your foreground grasses are as beautiful as the tree and those few touches of wildflowers are just perfect.

Donna

dvantuyl
02-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Thank you, again for the responses. I have the painting setup where I can look at it throughout the day. This is something I do when I have completed something. I let the painting talk to me.

Adriana, and Paula, your ideas and tips are things I had not thought about. This I might not change in the painting this time as somehow it seems to be working, but a great thing to learn and think about.

Thanks Don, Alicia, fiannah, water girl, binkie, and Mikki, so far my talking painting has agreed with you.

Donna, this spot is East of my home about ten miles. Our county runs from the West side of the State where it is green and has alpine trees and mountains, to the East where it is dry and sage bushy. My friend took me around her cattle ranch hoping I, the artist, would record some of her favorite spots. This is a view that she loved; the only problem was the cattle had "eaten out" the grasses. So I had to add the grass back. We get a lot of yarrow, and bachelors button this time of year so it is accurate for the area...

Okay Peggy and Kim. This is such a great discussion! This is a discussion that as an artist we all have continually, or at least I do. The question becomes WHEN DO YOU STOP? All these ideas are great and need to be considered. But we have all gone on and done more and then ruined a painting, or at least I have. My struggle when I worked on this was in part the extreme environment of this place. It is very hot and very dry. I was here in July and had to be driven to this spot by the owner of the ranch and so as I painted I was remembering what it felt like and how high up we were, extreme and yet somehow beautiful. These Oak trees are tenacious.

In the painting I just completed, Kim made a suggestion on the value and intensity of my upright trees. This was a huge flaw in my painting and I had to fix it. Now I am confronted with the question of not wanting to go to far and ruin some of the spontaneity of what I have.

But then again, maybe the painting will talk to me......:music:

klord
02-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Okay Peggy and Kim. This is such a great discussion! This is a discussion that as an artist we all have continually, or at least I do. The question becomes WHEN DO YOU STOP? All these ideas are great and need to be considered. But we have all gone on and done more and then ruined a painting, or at least I have.

But then again, maybe the painting will talk to me......:music:

To stop, or not to stop, that is the question! I, too, will listen to the painting after stopping way earlier than I want to, because by that time all the information is there, the idea, and hopefully the mood, then I let the painting tell me if it needs any adjustments. If I have captured the feeling or mood effectively, then I do not care if all the rest is perfect or correct. Because one can overwork sooooo easily! I know, because I am the queen of losing a great underpainting!

"It is difficult to know what another artist wants to portray when one doesn't really know them nor paint with them on a regular basis. As far as I'm concerned, there are no absolutes in art, and each of us must learn to paint from our own perspective. "

Peggy you are so right here. It is hard to just come out and say what one thinks can improve somebody elses painting without knowing where they are coming from, even if you do paint regularly with them. THis is really a unique place, the WC, allowing the input and being able to take from it what you want. I just posted my first image over at the plein air thread, and have been anticipating comments and second guessing myself, and I really think it takes guts to throw yourself out there like that.

PeggyB
02-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Peggy you are so right here. It is hard to just come out and say what one thinks can improve somebody elses painting without knowing where they are coming from, even if you do paint regularly with them. THis is really a unique place, the WC, allowing the input and being able to take from it what you want.

I just posted my first image over at the plein air thread, and have been anticipating comments and second guessing myself, and I really think it takes guts to throw yourself out there like that.

Indeed it is a unique place, and most certainly a certain amount of being willing to read what others have to say about your work, and not feel as though you've been run over by a truck is helpful! I really like your work Kim - I'll go look at what you've done on the other forum now. Those plein air critics can be brutal! I posted my Oregon Beach scene on the Marine Art channel, and I've found them to be helpful and kind - a lot like the pastel channel. :)

Peggy

dvantuyl
02-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Indeed it is a unique place, and most certainly a certain amount of being willing to read what others have to say about your work, and not feel as though you've been run over by a truck is helpful! I really like your work Kim - I'll go look at what you've done on the other forum now. Those plein air critics can be brutal! I posted my Oregon Beach scene on the Marine Art channel, and I've found them to be helpful and kind - a lot like the pastel channel. :)

Peggy

The whole satisfaction in this job of being an artist is the pursuit of turth and of excellence. Gaining any hope of being excellent requires the ability to look at your own work with a critical eye. That eye needs to be confronted with the truth and that is where you all come in. That is how it works for me. After the hard work on a painting I do not always have the ability of being truthful with myself. Helpful, and kind, but always truthful.