PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

BlackDotMags
06-24-2002, 01:00 PM
Hi, everyone!
I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mag Alef, and I'm a glass bead artist. I've been working in this field for about 4 years, starting first as a hobbyist, and now it is my full-time business.

I am so impressed with this website! There's a lot of great information and discussions here. No matter what media one works in, there's much to be shared and gained through interaction with other artists, and that's why I'm here. :)

Mags
www.blackdotdesigns.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Laura Brito
06-24-2002, 02:12 PM
Welcome Maggie! I am so glad you made it here too!

Show us some of your beads! <grin>

Laura

b2beads
06-24-2002, 05:38 PM
Woo hoo, the Magster's here! Got that Major yet????

B2 (who's just competitive enough to now be motivated to set hers up an give it a try! :D )

Nonie
06-24-2002, 07:37 PM
Hi Mags,
Nice to meet you! I have only been making beads for weeks and everyone here is sooooo helpful. I plan to learn a great deal here. Great forum! Glad you joined.:D

Lara
06-24-2002, 10:06 PM
Hi Mag - I see you are over here from ISGB. I took a look at your web site, which I haven't seen before. I liked it very much.

L:cat:

Modesto
06-25-2002, 07:35 AM
Hello Mag,

I welcome you, your feelings about Art and, your talent!

Mike E etc
06-25-2002, 07:48 AM
Hi Mags,
I do beleive it is against the rules :cool: not to post a picture here;) , so let's see some.
Mike, I wana pic., E

glassandfire.com

Modesto
06-25-2002, 08:14 AM
Hello Mike E,

Your name, work and site have been suggested to me for reference many times. "The Master of Marbles"

I will consider any of your contributions of great value!

JustjoGA
06-25-2002, 08:26 AM
I am happy to see all this beautiful glass bead and decorative glass art work.... You should have your own media designation in the list!! (Scott???)

BlackDotMags
06-25-2002, 11:24 AM
Wow! What a nice welcome you all have given to me! Thank you! :)

Okay, since Mike E. asked for a pic...
I've been working on a series called "Duality of Man". It's an old theme, with a twist: it's in glass! LOL!
I love symbolism and hidden messages, so go ahead and read into this one...tell me what you see. ;)

(Hint: the bright dots swirling around the top are representative of abstract thought; the flowers are representative of nature & earthliness. I can't quite capture the layering effects here, but the flowers are two layers up from the abstract area - not on the same plane at all.)

Mags
~~~~~

Laura Brito
06-25-2002, 02:49 PM
JustjoGA

We have asked for our own area (well I have), and Scott told me to come here with my friends and once there is the need they will make us one (we don't want to crowd you guys out at all, but it looks like we are sorta taking over this area (sorry)!! hehe

I think they will give it to us soon, after all I have submitted one article, Generationsglass is going to submit one as well, and I am working on another one, with 3 of them, plus all the new people I have gotten to come over here, I think it will be very soon!

I can't wait, it will be really fun! and probably a relief to all of you oldtimers here <grin>

Thank you all for being so generous, we all appreciate it greatly.

Laura:p

Lara
06-25-2002, 02:58 PM
Thanks Laura:

Our own area will be so much easier to look through.

L

Mike E etc
06-25-2002, 04:54 PM
Mags, that is an art bead. I like the smooth clean look done with great skill. Should I say, the bead sets my mind wandering... If the rest of the series is this cool... it is a winner. :clap:
Mike, not a writer, E

craftylady
06-26-2002, 09:34 AM
Mags welcome! I love this sight it is so informative. I love the bead you posted. Keep up the eye-candy it is the inspiration I need as a newbie. Thanks to you all. Laurie

BlackDotMags
06-26-2002, 09:49 PM
Thank you, Mike & Laurie for your nice compliments on my bead! :)

Mags
~~~~~

Ann*S
06-27-2002, 01:13 AM
Mags,
The bead is beautiful, and very interesting. Perfect besides.
ann

AriadneArts
06-27-2002, 03:10 PM
Just a beautiful bead, Mags.

Laura, you'll probably HAVE to crowd this forum in order to create the "need" for your own. Since you're all so new here, I'm sure Scott wants to wait and see if this is a lasting thing before going to the trouble to create another forum. I certainly hope it is going to last. I'm enjoying your work very much, and I have a sneaking suspicion I'm not alone among the other WC artists. :D

macbeth7
07-02-2002, 11:54 PM
Wow, Mags...a wonderful work of art, that bead is! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Beth

hotglass
07-03-2002, 08:03 PM
:clap: Nice to see the gang from the Bead Society here.

Ed

b2beads
07-03-2002, 09:53 PM
Welcome, Ed!

B2 :D

mlou
07-05-2002, 01:03 AM
Mags,
First, thank you for the warm welcome you sent:) I really love the bead you have used under your name, whatever you call that-can you tell this message board is a little intimidating? What has become of that one???
mlou

BlackDotMags
07-05-2002, 02:42 AM
Mlou,
Hehehe, that's my talisman. It's the bead I wear almost all the time. It gets me a lot of strange, squinty looks from people (not that I am *trying* to get these weird looks!) LOL!

I made it my talisman because this bead was a turning point for my work. Up until then, I made a lot of beads that looked like other peoples' styles. I was learning my craft by imitation, the way most new beadmakers/artists do. Yes, I was learning techniques, but none of them were really *mine*...until this bead. It even contains my signature black dot (which is a whole, 'nother story in itself).

It's a bead only it's "mother" could love...weird, gangly, slightly wonky, but I love it anyway! :)

Thanks for asking :)
Mags