PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations - Pastel Pencils?!

Chikaminx
02-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi everyone :) Am just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on which brand of pastel pencils I should buy? I use Rembrandt and Sennelier soft pastels, and really need some good quality pastel pencils to use on the finer details. I do have a coloured conte stick set, but am keen to find out which pencils might be worth investing in as well?

Following is a list of those I am aware of:

Conte
Derwent
Faber-Castell Pitt
General's
Koh-I-Noor
Stabilo CarbOthello
Cretacolor

I would be really greatful if anyone could give me some advice / recommendations on this one, as my husband has forbidden me from buying one of each to compare :rolleyes:

bchlvr
02-02-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm not an expert at all...but I really like the Faber-Castell Pitt. The colors are stronger than the Derwent that I also have.

Gail V
02-02-2008, 11:47 AM
I use the CarbOthello pencils - I really like these - they are easy to sharpen - and there is a good color selection.

chewie
02-02-2008, 12:05 PM
i use both of the already mentioned ones, but i am finding more that i rather sharpen a hard faber stick and use that instead.

Merethe T
02-02-2008, 12:12 PM
I use Faber Castells, Carbothellos and Bruynzeel - all easy to sharpen, nice colors and soft. Faber sticks work well too!

Merethe

*Marina*
02-02-2008, 12:20 PM
I have the Stabilo CarboThello but find they don't have enough colour strength. Prefer to use the FC Polychromos square sticks.

Deborah Secor
02-02-2008, 01:03 PM
I recently received some of the Koh-I-Noor Gioconda pastel pencils, and I really like them. They're very soft, more like PASTEL than others. I was looking at the tin of Carb-Othellos I have and it says colored charcoal on it, which is often what 'pastel pencils' are made of, while the Giocondas are soft pastel.

I have the Cretacolors, too, and they're soft. I don't know what they're actually made of.

I guess a lot depends on what you want to do with them, accenting pastel paintings or making pastel drawings solely using the pencils. I don't use them for lines, as some people do, I simply use them for glazing colors, so I want very soft pencils.

Deborah

Seveer
02-02-2008, 01:40 PM
I have both Dewerts and Rembrandts and I have to say I like the Dewerts the best...I have a very hard time sharping the Rembrandts and they seem to break very easily (sometimes I get carried away though....lol). The Dewerts have a very nice feel to me.

MarieMeyer
02-03-2008, 11:30 AM
The General's are terrible - very poor adhesion. Avoid them at all costs.

The Contes don't adhere very well to Wallis.

The Koh-i-Noor are the best bang-for-buck - they are good but not great, but very very inexpensive.

I like all of the other others.

Derwent has the biggest selection.

MarieMeyer
02-03-2008, 11:34 AM
I have both Dewerts and Rembrandts and I have to say I like the Dewerts the best...I have a very hard time sharping the Rembrandts and they seem to break very easily (sometimes I get carried away though....lol). The Dewerts have a very nice feel to me.

There is a Rembrandt pastel pencil?? Where did you find them??

KOP
02-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Creteacolor- trust me, great pigmentation, great adhesion too

BruceF
02-04-2008, 12:02 AM
There is a Rembrandt pastel pencil?? Where did you find them??
Talens, the makers of Rembrandt pastels, makes VanGogh pastel pencils. I haven't tried them, but here's the product sheet:
http://www.talens.com/uploads/products/9775...0_F_GBR.pdf

Chikaminx
02-04-2008, 06:31 AM
Wow! Thank you so much everyone, you've given me some great feedback based on active working history with pastel pencils, which is exactly what I was hoping for :thumbsup:

It's not easy making a decision on which materials to buy when you haven't tried any of them, and unfortunately for me in this instance I have to pay for my product and have it ordered in before I can try it :rolleyes:

ElsieH
02-05-2008, 11:06 AM
:wave:
I love my Koh-I-Noor Gioconda pastel pencils! :heart: I have Cretacolors, too, and they are good. But, there is just something about how the Koh-I-Noor go onto the Wallis that I like. They make a nice line where I need it.
I agree on the Generals. I had a set and they just had mixed quality in the pastel smoothness and strength. Also, they kept breaking even with a light touch.

HarvestMoon
02-05-2008, 12:17 PM
I like the Derwent ones, and Brenezel (sp?)...

thollis
02-05-2008, 01:22 PM
I have carbothellos and they break often!