PDA

View Full Version : Marsh Scene...new underpainting technique!

Karen Margulis
02-02-2008, 08:50 AM
I discovered a new underpainting technique today much to my alarm. I wish someone was here to see my face when I sprayed my painting with window cleaner...yes you read that right! Let me explain. I started this marsh painting last night and it was originally all red and bright orange. It is based on one of my Creighton Island plein air pieces but I was trying to change the colors. I hated it! I am not one to give up easily so I decided I would spray it with fixative and try a different color scheme. I picked up what I thought was my can of fixative and sprayed my painting very liberally. It didn't look right though....it seemed too wet. Then I realized I had picked up a can of window cleaner!!! I read the ingredients...water and alcohol...oh that might be good I thought...so I took my finger and smeared the pastel and waited for it to dry. I got a nice underpainting to put my lighter colors on top. Maybe I'll try window cleaner again!:D
Karen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2008/53551-marsh_wc.jpg

Terry Wynn
02-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Hi, Karen, what a gorgeous result. Good thing we don't have hair spray sitting around :lol:

I do think this is lovely.

Terry

Donna T
02-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Thant's funny, Karen! I've been misting my underpaintings with alcohol and love the results. I dry-brush the pastel into the paper first then give it a mist of alcohol. I used to use a brush dipped in alcohol but it can leave some smeary looking sections and too much alcohol can make Wallis paper kind of gummy; I guess it must begin to dissolve the adhesive in the paper. Your painting turned out beautifully! It probably won't be long now until someone develops an alcohol spray made specifically for pastels.

Donna

Bill Foehringer
02-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Wonderful results! I like the look of pastel and watercolor combinations. This has that look. The two media, even accidentally lol, work well together. I suppose that the serendipity inherent in both media are synergistic.
Cool :cool: :thumbsup: :clap: BillF

Todd Flaming
02-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Karen,
Awesome painting! Don't you just love those little mishaps that turn out to be a positive thing. Well done!
Todd

Karen Margulis
02-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Thank you Todd,Bill, Donna & Tery. I appreciate your comments.
Donna...This was an aerosol can of window cleaner and the spray was just right ...nice even coverage! lol

karen

bchlvr
02-02-2008, 10:38 AM
You sure got excellent results...turned out a beautiful painting and the colors are gorgeous!

Paula Ford
02-02-2008, 11:43 AM
LOL....I think I'll try it too Karen!!! WOW, I love this painting!! Gorgeous!

Paula

David Patterson
02-02-2008, 12:04 PM
I can see it now on the shopping channels..."KEM's Wonder Underpainting Spray...prepare your paintings as you clean your windows" :lol:

Pretty cool Karen! :)

David

Merriel
02-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Just beautiful. Nice accident.

merriel

Karen Margulis
02-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks everyone!
David...too funny! I think I'll bring my new underpainting spray to class this weeks for laughs!

karen

Merethe T
02-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Lol, you had me laugh, luckily your accident has a good ending - the painting is beautiful! Wonderful colors!!

Merethe

IdahoHat
02-02-2008, 01:02 PM
So lovely! But, when you do things like picking up the wrong can reminds me of things I have begun doing after age 60.:lol:

PeggyB
02-02-2008, 01:23 PM
What a happy accident Karen. This finished very nicely for you.

Now what I'm wondering is if KEM's Wonder Underpainting Spray will also keep the glass clean once the painting is framed! :lol:

Peggy

Adriana Meiss
02-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Hi Karen,
Even though I do not post that often, I'm always looking forward to seeing your paintings. This is just gorgeous!
Adriana

binkie
02-03-2008, 01:22 AM
Great accident! It's beautiful.

binkie

Mikki Petersen
02-03-2008, 01:51 AM
Happy accidents are a wonderful thing...this is a gorgeous save!

Mikki

cal studio
02-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Wonderful!!!! This has great moodiness to it.
Cathleen