PDA

View Full Version : buterflies

Ceci
01-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Im sorry I dont post much here, you people are great, but I kind of post mostly in the zoo even though all my work in the last year has been in pastels.
These are my 3 buterflies. The one Im having problems is my last one, Its not nearly finished, have not put in the anthens ( thats what we call them i spanish) because Im not so sure of the background.
Would love to have some C&C from pastelist. BTW, thanks to ril, at least I know the monarch is from Queen B because I wrote it down.
So here it goes:
All are done in soft pastels ( mostly ) on La Carte ( my first try on it an like the way senneliers stick to it) all are 6X8 ". small for what I work on. Some pits for details.
I think this one is done, but as I said before please do coment. On the final pic I did blur a bit the bg.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2008/93988-mariposa_2_en_la_carte.JPG

This is my second, havent done much on the bg. I think its too late to put a flower or something.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2008/93988-mariosa_2.JPG

And the third one a Monarch is the one which im not so sure of the bg. I think the flower is ok, but since im not sure about the bg i havent finished the details on legs, etc.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2008/93988-mariposa_2_sin_rerminar.JPG
This last one is not nearly finished, only the flower.
Sorry about these bad pics, my dg is not at all good.

Thanks for looking.
Ceci

AliciaS
01-31-2008, 10:12 AM
I love the colors in these..my favorite is the middle butterfly..beautiful!

breuschle
01-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Very pretty, I love butterflies! I really like the sharpness you were able to achieve with the monarch, very nice work. Maybe it's because you have deeper values? Darker darks I mean. Please post here in soft pastels more often!:)

Mikki Petersen
01-31-2008, 11:39 AM
I think what I admire most in your butterfly paintings is your handling of the backgrounds. Each is subtle, enhances the subject and makes appealing use of the negative space. The butterflies have great realism and detail.

Mikki

chewie
01-31-2008, 11:47 AM
i very much like your backgrounds! the second one esp. altho the butterfly does look like it needs a landing spot. i really love the colors and the way you've blurred the b/g in #2. and the butterflies are done very well--it would be neat to mat/frame these all the same, and hang them closely together, a series. keep going!

Merriel
01-31-2008, 11:56 AM
I agree with Chewie. They are lovely, especially #2. The bg are very nice and enhance the butterflies.

merriel

klord
01-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi,

Lovely work here. I agree with Barbara with adding darker values in the background. Maybe take your darker blue color and run in horizontally behind the butterfly, allowing for the other colors to show through that you have used in the background, but richening up the color behind will help create that jewel toned effect. One other thing here, in the third image you have used what seems to be some earthier tones in the background which may be taking away from the clean color that the other backgrounds have. Maybe incorporate the pinks turqoise and blues and punch up the intensity on the orange part of the wing.

Just my two cents.... great job on these three paintings. I, too, would love to see more of your work!

Kim

Ceci
01-31-2008, 12:37 PM
OH, thanks sooo much to all. The third is not finished but it does have too many bg colors as I was not too sure of it. The butterfly is not yet near finished. I like my strong colors, thats why I posted here to see your reaction. Thats just my way of painting. I plan on matting the smaller ones together and do a few more of the bigger ones, ( middle one ) and matting them together. Has anyone any ideas. ??
Also, I have posted some in the animal and wildlife, mamals , birds, but would love some coments from the pastelist as they are all pastels. You only have to go to my name and see post started by ceci. There are a few which I like, but just one that i have to start over again, its a heron, maybe too strong colors.
thanks for looking. I find that if you dont x post you dont get feedback from the different forums. I dont x post because i dont like bothering so many people, already think this is a huge community.
Ceci

Willemke
01-31-2008, 02:13 PM
Lovely butterflies, I think you did a very good job.

binkie
01-31-2008, 03:02 PM
Beautiful butterflies.

binkie

Gail V
01-31-2008, 10:33 PM
I really like ALL of your paintings!! What a great subject to paint - great colors! Beautiful!

Ceci
02-01-2008, 02:21 AM
Thanks Willemke,Binkie and Gail, sure appreciate nice comments.
Ceci

Merethe T
02-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Nice work Ceci, great colors - especially the first one! Nice detail work too.
Have you concidered doing a green background for the last? Going darker, and using greens, and pump up the orange in the wing might pop the butterfly even more. Just my two cents, will be interesting to see what you decide! (Remember to post the finished piece... ;) )

Merethe

Ceci
02-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks Merethe for your suggestion, ill do that, if it dosent work, its only a piece of paper, or not ?. This buterfly is not yet finished because i was not happy with th background.
By the way, I have some black sanded paper I want to use, I know that you use it but I have never tried it. Any suggestions ?
thanks
Ceci