PDA

View Full Version : Hot Glass

Modesto
06-23-2002, 07:15 PM
O.K. Cheryl...I'll attempt to post a few pics, maybe I'll get some good advice from others and improve my work.

I haven't shown my work before because I feel it's not of the quality that I'm aiming for. Anyway, feel free to give advice +or-, I'm sure it will help.

Modesto
06-23-2002, 07:17 PM
Oh, taking clear pics isn't as easy as I thought.

Modesto
06-23-2002, 07:19 PM
My wife likes this one so, last pic for now.

craftylady
06-23-2002, 08:37 PM
I think you have done a great job.. I also like the one your wife likes. Have a great beadin day:) Laurie

Modesto
06-23-2002, 09:56 PM
Thank you for the encouragement craftylady!

b2beads
06-23-2002, 10:25 PM
Hey Harold - nice work. And the bottom one gives me a really great idea...whenever I make complex twisties, the end of the twistie (that isn't fully twisted, etc.) is my favorite part of the whole thing - the colors are so gorgeous. But I usually waste them (could make frit, but too lazy). You're great bead gave me an idea how to use them. Here's a pic of one of the "ends" I'm talking about (and this isn't even one of the prettier ones, as the purple reduced.) All I'd have to do is wrap the thin end around a mandrel and shape a bit... Hmm, I've got lot's of these little guys sitting around (though I'll have to preheat carefully...)

Did you do the hemp work, too?

B2

craftylady
06-23-2002, 10:25 PM
Harold how long have you been making beads? Seems to me your time is also limited. I can hardly do it with two how do you do it with 4? My youngest is very attached to me so I don dare go into the studio(garage) with out him... Or any where else for that matter. So nap time is the only time. Would love to see more of your beads. What manderal size did you use on the 2nd bead? not real sure how to do the loop thing. Nice talking to people with so much knowledge. Laurie :clap:

Laura Brito
06-24-2002, 01:48 AM
Hi Harold!

Those yellow beads look really interesting! What are they? Moretti I assume, but how is the necklace put together, I couldn't tell real well with my computer!

You are doing pretty good!

Laura

Laura Brito
06-24-2002, 01:52 AM
b2beads

Oh I forgot to mention, I use my latticino ends to make pendants, you take the end, attach a punty to the narrow end. Then I go to the fat end, add clear, shape if round in a marble mold or just naturally (because glass retracts it always wants to be round) and then I punty up that end once I am done with it, then with the other punty on the narrow end I heat up the narrow part slowly, form a loop and remove the punty, then I take the tweesers and flash heat them, grasp the loop and remove the other punty, fire polish the larger rounded end and pop it in the kiln.

They come out pretty lovely!

Laura

Ann*S
06-24-2002, 02:50 AM
Harold,
These are all really nice...very very good looking beads..
ann

Modesto
06-24-2002, 03:52 AM
Hey B2,

Thanks for the words.
Re:"gives me a really great idea"
Kewl, that's a payoff I didn't expect.

Re:"Did you do the hemp work, too?"
Yes but, I think hemp with a wax coating (1mm) would be better...just haven't found a good "high quality" supplier.
Any suggestions?

Hey craftylady,

Re:"how long have you been making beads? "
Off and on for about 4 months, I also spend time learning how to blow. I'm about ready to add slumping and fusing to my lesson plan.

Re:"I can hardly do it with two how do you do it with 4?"
I have 3 and it's really hard at times but, I'm willing to trade sleep for the pleasure.

Re:"What manderal size did you use on the 2nd bead?"
I didn't use a mandrel, I used a glass punty (a lot like Laura describes above with her pendants) and, I let gravity and heat form the loop.

That's a question I have....what makes a item fall into the category of bead or pendant? Some have told me "if it has a hole and is worn/strung...it's a bead. I'm a bit confused by this.

Re:"Nice talking to people with so much knowledge."
I try to learn from everyone I communicate with, it is easier when we are birds of a feather and without censor.

Hey Laura,

Re:"What are they? Moretti I assume"
Yes Moretti Med. Lemon Yellow, with a Aventurine Gold and clear twist. I know the Aventurine Gold doesn't show well in the photo.{

Re:"but how is the necklace put together"
Hemp with SS Bali beads and clasp. The crimps are SS wire that I hand wrapped...I couldn't find and crimps SS that were the correct size I needed.

Re:"You are doing pretty good!"
Thanks! I know...practice, practice, practice.

Hey Ann,

Re:"These are all really nice...very very good looking beads.. "
Thank you! In time I might gain the skill to put my exact vision into practice and find bliss.

Modesto
06-24-2002, 04:15 AM
Hey Laura,

You are also very talented with wire! What type and gauge did you use in your beautiful pendant?

craftylady
06-24-2002, 08:40 AM
Can you guys tell me what a punty is? Never heard of that. Thanks, Laurie

b2beads
06-24-2002, 11:28 AM
A punty is basically a "handle" out of glass. You attach a rod to a place on your work so that you can hold the piece and work on the other areas. That's how most non-blown, non-mandrel work is done.

I use them a lot when making complex twisties; once I make a "blob" which will become the complex twistie, I create a "maria" on the open end, which is adding extra "plain" glass at the end of the large blob of glass that you're about to twist, as you know there will be "waste" at each end after twisting. Once I add that "waste" glass, I usually take a clear pyrex rod (my twistie is moretti), heat both the end of the blob and the end of the pyrex rod and attach the pyrex to the end of the blob. (sticking straight out.)

Once that "sets up", I turn it around and burn off the "original" rod I used as the base of the blob of glass for the twistie, add another maria to that end, and add a pyrex punty to that end as well. The benefit is now your "handles" are made of "hard" glass that melts at higher temperatures. This prevents the problem of accidentally melting through your handles while trying to get the whole "blob" molten and ready to pull and twist.

Clear as mud? B2:D

craftylady
06-24-2002, 01:49 PM
Wow that was a hand full of info I had never heard before. I will have to try and find that glass to use as a punty. Thank you so much. Laurie:clap:

Modesto
06-24-2002, 02:43 PM
New terms can make it seem that we are talking in code...
the links below helped me, maybe they will help you too.

http://www.wheatonsci.com/html/GlassTerms.html
http://www.ecu.edu/chem/glassblowing/gb.htm
http://www.glassonline.com/dictionary/index.html

Laura Brito
06-24-2002, 02:52 PM
Harold! Great links! I am so happy to posted these as I am writing an article for the Wetcanvas and I am thrilled to be able to use this resource!

Thank you
Laura

b2beads
06-24-2002, 05:35 PM
:D You can, by the way, use REGULAR glass as a punty, too. You just need to be a bit more careful not to melt off the handle. But any glass works! Forgot to mention that... B2

Modesto
06-24-2002, 05:53 PM
Off Hand Glass Blowers use a large steel rod as a punty, I have tried (unsuccessful) to use a small Stainless Steel rod as I've read that this can be done too.

Nonie
06-25-2002, 09:19 PM
Thank you kindly Harold! This information is so helpful for a newbie like me.:cool:

Glassy79
06-27-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Harold
Off Hand Glass Blowers use a large steel rod as a punty, I have tried (unsuccessful) to use a small Stainless Steel rod as I've read that this can be done too. :D
It can be done harold. you just have to keep trying! What do I have to do? come down there to FL and show you everything? Ya just have to try harder.

Richard

Modesto
06-28-2002, 05:51 AM
Oh I know what you really want is a place to torch while visiting Disney:D

paskon
07-25-2002, 10:56 PM
You can buy specially-made punty handles...I bought some from Arrow Springs, and I imagine that Frantz sells them too.

Actually I have extra, since I ordered 6, and ended up with 6 pairs! They cost $6 each. They are very nice, about 8" long and about 5/8" thick, with a tapered end for attaching to the twistie or whatever.

Let me know if you want any, or you could just call Arrow Springs.

-Patti

Lori Robbins
07-26-2002, 12:43 AM
Harold I really like your beads and your hemp work. Sometimes I find using a waxed linen can make the macramé easier, and a whole lot less hairy. Not to mention it comes in lots of colors. I use it to make key chains with my beads. Looks like aged leather after it's done.

Richard, come on down, just let me know when so I can crash y'alls party.

Ivyleaf
08-01-2002, 01:46 AM
Harold,
I like what I've seen of your beads so far, they are way cool!

:) :) :)
Ivy

JodiPrice
08-01-2002, 02:14 AM
Harold,

I love the bracelet and the beads they are both great and definetly worthy to show off!

I have never tried a pendant, yours is definetly cool!!

Keep up the great work!