PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted! WIP

TessDB
01-29-2008, 07:56 AM
:wave: Hi, all!

Haven't been around here very much... been trying to wrap my poor math-challenged brain around tessellations (with a name like Tess, it was bound to happen! :lol: ) But in my fumbling with the tessellations, I hit on a design that expanded itself into a piece I'm working up as an example/template for my website (no, not done yet. yes, still working on it. really. honest. :rolleyes: )

The center design isn't a true tessellation (didn't mirror one of the sides right. grrr. but it was a happy accident!). Unfortunately, I'm stuck. I can't decide which is better-- option A or B. Both work really well, and I may end up doing both just for giggles, but I'd really love to see if some extra eyes have a preference...

At this point, the design is still on multiple sheets of sketch paper. These are just rough versions pasted together in photoshop. So if anyone sees something that *doesn't* work for them, please let me know!

Thanks for looking!
Tess

GoldenArt
01-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Tess, I agree both are very interesting but i like the second one the best. I must admit I had to really look to see the differences but after finding them it was easy for me to pick the one I liked the best. Such interesting work. Can't wait to see them develope. I am sure you will complete them both. Rick

marie_d
01-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Tess, lots of work in both designs, but I think I prefer the second option. The pattern seems to swirl around the inner circle better.

fawnridge-art
01-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Tess, I am agreeing with the others, the second one. Here is why- (and this will help anyone who can't see the differences very well). Bring up both images and quickly click between the two back and forth. You will see the movement of the two areas that are different.
As I said, movement is the key. In the first one, the area seems at rest while the second image, that area is in movement, with a lot of energy. :)

TessDB
01-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks Rick, Marie, & Kathy! :wave:

I've been leaning toward the 2nd one, too. But I also tend to overload these, not giving the viewer a good place to let their eyes rest & ... um ... absorb (not quite the right word, but close) the whole thing.

Hubby likes the first one 'cause it holds still. And then (maddening man) likes the 2nd one 'cause it swirls. And (truly frustrating man) refuses to say which is better. Arrrgh!

Still need to figure out what word I'm doing (leaning toward "kindle" as in: kindle a spark) & what style/font I'll use... Stay tuned!

Tess

piper2
01-30-2008, 04:29 PM
I definitely like the second better! I think use the action of the second and then play with a limited palette, maybe just one complementary color that really sings.

TessDB
01-31-2008, 07:12 AM
Thanks, Maggie!

Limited pallet. hmmm. Well *that's* gonna take some thought. Here I'd planned to take my new coloursofts out for a run. Guess this is one of those "just because you *can* use every pencil in the box doesn't mean you *should*" moments. :lol:

Tess

TessDB
02-02-2008, 07:31 AM
So I finally decided on doing version two. And because I couldn't figure out a better word to use, I'm going with "kindle". I realized I didn't mention this before-- the design is 8x10.

Still trying to work out what's happening with the color. I like the idea of a limited palette, I just can't quite get my brain to wrap around how to limit it on this one. I'm thinking I'll save that for the next one, which is going to be pretty big. And it's a *true* tessellation! Woo-hoo! :D

All C&C, questions, etc. are encouraged!
Thanks for looking!

Tess

marie_d
02-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi Tess, love the style of font used, it looks like the word 'kindle' is written in flames. To me the inner circle design and the style of font used is portraying 'fire'......would you therefore be using hot colours?

TessDB
02-03-2008, 07:00 AM
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking-- playing with it in photoshop, seeing if what works in my head works (relatively) well outside of it. :D

Hope to really get started on the color today...
Thanks for looking!
Tess

TessDB
02-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Ok-- not a lot of color happening yet. I've x-posted a more detailed wip over in the cp forum. If you want to follow along, you can find the thread here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475481).

I'm doing this on drafting film (totally addicted to the stuff), and so far I've only worked on the back. 1st image is with a white backing, 2nd is with black.

Still pacing & muttering & trying to figure out what color goes where. I am going to try to limit my color choices, but it's not going to be *nearly* as limited as Maggie suggested (next one! promise!)

all c&c etc very happily accepted!

Tess

TessDB
02-11-2008, 05:56 PM
My apologies to anyone trying to follow the wip in this forum. I've been posting really detailed updates over in cp, and every time I'm at a spot where it's reasonable to post here, WC crashes! Argh!

So without further delay...

Here ya go! Still quite a bit to do... need to punch up the outline around the lettering, figure out what color I'm doing the knotwork bars on the edge, and some brightening/intensifying/fiddling *all* over the place on this.

All c&c happily accepted!

Tess

CPM
02-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Tess, This looks awesome. I like the blue shadow/highlights in the knot around "Kindle". The center star/spiral is awesome too. Keep the updates coming. I love to see how you develop these pieces:clap: - Chris

scribblet
02-13-2008, 07:16 AM
Wow - no crits. here, it's awesome.

TessDB
02-13-2008, 07:42 AM
Thank you, Chris & Scriblett!

The blue knotwork behind the lettering? Yeah. It's giving me fits. It's overwhelmed the lettering and making the knotwork over the sunset/sunrise fade inside the square look unfinished (grrr. kinda thought I was *done* with that part!)

Hope to have a substantial update today!

Thanks for looking~

Tess

marie_d
02-14-2008, 05:25 AM
Hi Tess, I'm still here keeping up with you. Went over to the cp forum to follow you from start to finish, it's coming on lovely. Really informative WIP , and I have picked up loads of info from this about drafting film and how to use it.
Regards the bottom section with the 'kindle' I know you havn't decided how to follow through on it yet with the colouring but I think if you go with option three you could darken the background, add a touch of orange to the knotwork highlights, and lighten the centres of the lettering with white (but not too much as to lose the warm smouldery fire look).
And my reasons for this choice, the darker bgd will push forward the lettering, the orange in the knotwork would appear to be reflection (glow) from the lettering (fire). At the end of the day it's your choice, but maybe others suggestions might help you a little to make your decision.
Beautiful work.......:thumbsup: :clap:

TessDB
02-14-2008, 06:48 AM
Thank you, Marie! :wave:

I'm thinking along the same lines as what to do around the lettering...

And so everyone else will know what we're talking about, I should probably post some images, eh? To keep stuff fair ('cause I've been kinda, um, randomly :evil: about values and looking at your work in greyscale and other annoying things) I posted it in greyscale, too. And discovered that the area around the lettering needs some help...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2008/46497-02.13detail.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2008/46497-02.13GDetail.jpg

I want the lettering to be brighter than the knotwork, and right now it's kinda getting lost. So the choices to deal with that are:

1) tone down the highlights of the knotwork
2) try to brighten the lettering from the *back*
3) a combo of options 1 & 2 along with darkening the background.

I'm doing test swatches and my usual pacing & muttering routine, so stay tuned... :cool:

all c&c, suggestions, etc. most definitely welcome!
Tess

TessDB
02-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Ok-- kinda in a panic state. Could really use some extra eyes and opinions now...

I deepened/intensified the fade on the inner square & tried to give the knotwork on top of it some, ah, oomph. And then I started to panic. I've only done (goofed?) one section of the knotwork so what I'm posting is a mock up thanks to photoshop. So did I go too far? Not far enough? Is it working? Not working? Love to hear what some other folks are thinking!

Tess

TessDB
02-22-2008, 05:45 PM
So finally getting around to updating this... Took a quick trip out of town last weekend to visit my folks, got back home, and then got whalloped by the flu. ick. All I can say? Wash Your Hands. The Germs Are Out To Get Us!!! :lol:

I'm hoping to (finally!!!) be done in the next few days.

All c&c most happily accepted! :wave:

Tess

TessDB
02-24-2008, 12:29 PM
I think (maybe? really? not so sure) it's done! I'm letting it rest for a bit while I make up my mind.

Love to hear if anyone sees something I should do before I proclaim it done!

Front & back scans, as well as a greyscale. Still not happy with the area around the lettering, but I've taken it pretty much as far as the film will allow. Sigh.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2008/46497-02.24front.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2008/46497-02.24back.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2008/46497-02.24fgrey.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Tess