PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher Jan. 28 - Feb. 3

Pat Isaac
01-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Good morning everyone,

Wintry morning here with snow cover again, but only a few inches. Very windy.
Looking forward to spending a day at my studio. I also need to help finalize the plans for our group show and opening this week.

So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

LJW
01-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Enjoy your day, Pat. The sun is shining here so I'm going to sit in the window and read for a bit. I'm trying to decide what subject to work on next. I bought an Ergo Rest Arm Rest (with vertical extension pole) to give forearm support when using my easel for larger paintings. I tried it on an oil and it works well. Now I need to try it with my OPs. Jane

Pat Isaac
01-28-2008, 03:47 PM
It warmed up nicely today above freezing and the wind has died down. I am about finished with what I am working on and hope to be after tomorrow as I have no other studio time this week.
I hope the arm rest works for you, Jane.
What are you reading?

Pat

Paulafv
01-28-2008, 08:07 PM
After snowing all day yesterday, from morning to night, but blowing away and nothing but an inch or two, I was happy to be up and out to get ink for the printer, lost my way among the roads around Ikea, a gigantic store to go to my favorite grocery store on my way home. I knew I was going in the right direction, just didn't know which road would take me there. Worked out as it always does.

Think Jane is on her way to becoming a very serious oil pastelist, but we miss her at WDE, and remember, fun is the best part of art...as it is with all of life.
Why else?

Paula

LJW
01-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Paula, I check in to the WDE to see everyone's work each weekend, but I want to take more time on my own photos for a while. Don't worry, I'll be back. It's always fun and it's great to get so much positive feedback - good for the artistic ego. Jane

Bars
01-31-2008, 04:02 AM
:wave: Hi folks, have off the net for a while. Computer problems, good to be back. I have just finished a painting of the alpine gardens on Mt Ruapehu, in the spring. Mostly soft pastels with a touch of acrylic to enhance the water fall.
My granddaughter Sopie, is in hospital recovering from emergency surgery. She is in the process of having plastic surgery and got a nasty infection in the site. Poor wee soul she is only 10, very worrying. Bars

Pat Isaac
01-31-2008, 06:27 AM
Hi Bars, glad you're back. Computers can be such a problem sometimes. So sorry to hear about your granddaughter. How worrisome, do hope she id feeling fine soon.
I'll be away for most of the day helping with our group show.

Pat

LJW
01-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Glad to see you're back, Bars. So sorry to hear about your grand-daughter. Hope she recovers soon.

Pat, good luck with your group show. Jane

wabbitt
01-31-2008, 02:42 PM
Hi everyone, I just dropped in to get some commenting in as I'm soon going into lurk mode until I leave Sunday for Hong Kong. It's looking like showers everyday until Wednesday, I'm hoping it's not constant rain or too cold. I'm also hoping their recent snow induced travel problems clear up by the time I get there. I was up last night past midnight ironing and packing, so I have time to change my mind or adjust. Now I'm down to deciding on which sketchbooks to take along (yes, plural). Unfortunately I've long given up on travelling with OPs...they're just too heavy and bulky for the limited time I could give them. My travelling partner (Mom) just doesn't know the meaning or concept of "leisure."

Pat Isaac
01-31-2008, 03:43 PM
How exciting for you, Julie. Are you taking a camera? We'll be anxiously awaiting your travel notes. How long are you going for? I hope you do have some decent weather and have a great time.

Pat

LJW
01-31-2008, 04:00 PM
I hope you have a wonderful trip and the weather cooperates. Take lots of photos. Jane

Pat Isaac
01-31-2008, 04:03 PM
Forgot to mention that the set up for our group show went well today. All the work arrived and the curator will hang it tonight. Tomorrow we will label it and set up for the opening tomorrow night. Rain is expected, but that is certainly better than snow!

Pat

Peiwend
02-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi everyone. I'm back after three days without electricity, water or heat. We had freezing rain and the power went out Monday night. After that we had alternating rain, freezing temperatures, fog and a wind storm. Yesterday, we finally had clear weather and the power came back last night. It REALLY felt good as the temperature outside was -12 degrees C. or 10.4 degrees F. Prince Edward Island has a population of 130,000 and 22,000 households were without electricity and it was especially difficult around here for the dairy farmers.

___________________________Wendell

Pat Isaac
02-01-2008, 01:26 PM
How awful, Wendell. Glad that the power is restored now and it must be especially hard to have that happen in the winter months. Do you have a wood stove?

Pat

Scarefishcrow
02-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Don't kn ow about Julie, but I'm packing my camera when we head to the Isle de Mujeres just of Cancun later this month!! Hopefully I can trap some of the sun and warmth to use back here in Wisconsin since it decided to turn cold and snowy!!!

Now since I've retired, I'm converting my upstairs home office (with its huge north facing picture window sliding doors) into a studio and moving my vast (while admittedly sadly underutilized up until now) collection of art supplies and books up from the basement. (Well, the books aren't really underutilized but the rest has been).

Guess I better get online and get some of that great paper y'all always talk about if I'm going to really do this Feb challenge thing. If you're gonna make a fool of yourself, then I say do it in the best possible style and with the proper tools!!!!

:music: :music: Bill

Pat Isaac
02-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Absolutely, with style.....Sounds like it's going to be a great studio space and Cancun is certainly a good place to be this month.
At least the big storm we are having right now is wet and not white. I do hope it doesn't deter too many people from coming to the opening of our group show this evening. Lots of wine and food....

Pat

wabbitt
02-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Hi-ya, I'm still around...though I'm getting crazier by the minute and I'll really need this vacation by the end of the day. Yes, I take two cameras, actually. An older digital point-n-shoot and a digital SLR for more creative shots, which is the reason I can't carry more art supplies than I can fit in my camera bag...though I am seriously considering just a few sticks. Thank heavens I don't have to worry about film any more.

What colors would you bring if you were limited to say 4 sticks? I sketch everything (or try to) from still life to buildings, to people & landscapes.

I had a good drawing night last night in class with the new (to me) Holbein OP's, so I am encouraged. However, it was a "cold" night (but not as cold as Wendell's night) and I found that the OP's clumped on the bristol vellum when I tried to blend with my fingers. They worked better on the toothier Canson.

Pat Isaac
02-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Well, I'm a big fan of the primaries, Julie, plus white. That should give you almost any color you want.

Pat

LJW
02-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Wendell, my sympathy with the lack of power. We're getting freezing rain right now, with more snow to come. It's a reminder of the ice storm of ten years ago when we were without power for a couple of days in the city and farmers out here where we live now had to go without for a couple of weeks. Generator sales were very high, and the then owner of our house installed wiring for a generator, so although we don't have one, we could buy and use one if necessary.

Bill, sounds like you'll have a wonderful studio. No excuses now - get out those art supplies and get painting! You'll never improve if you don't paint. Have a great time in Cancun.

Julie, I'd take a dark and a light blue, red, and a dark and a light yellow and white. That gives you all the colours and a good value range.

How did your show go, Pat?

Jane

Scarefishcrow
02-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Jane,
Thanks for the encouragement! You know, this is about the friendliest place on the internet I've ever found! Sort of like sitting in front of a warm fire on a winter day, sipping hot cider and chatting with (disembodied) friends!

:) Bill

bluefish
02-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Pat

Can you say "GO GIANTS" ? :lol: :evil:

Bars
02-02-2008, 02:52 AM
:cat: This is definitley a year of extremes. In my part of the world we usually have a short and not very hot summer. This year we are having a drought of all things. The heat is a bit of a shock,:confused: am enjoying it though. I have not done another oil painting just yet, but have completed a sp painting. you will find it under the heading of New Participant. in sp studio. if anyone would like to take a look Bars:wave:

Pat Isaac
02-02-2008, 08:13 AM
GIANTS, oh you mean like Goliath??? Who are they anyway?:lol: :lol:
PATS from Pat....:thumbsup:

Pat Isaac
02-02-2008, 08:16 AM
There always seems to be extremes of weather around the world. Hope the drought ends soon, but I do love the summer. I took a look at your SP painting .....nice movement in it.

Pat

Peiwend
02-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Sorry I didn't get back to you all sooner but I've been trying to get caught up on painting that was interrupted by the blackout.

Pat, no I don't have a wood stove. I have an oil furnace as well as electrical heating in my upstairs studio. A lot of the electricity on PEI comes from huge windmills. Five years ago, when I put in a new foundation under my one hundred and fifty year old house, a large new well insulated room with lots of big windows was added to the southwest back of the house. The sun really helps in heating the house. Fortunately, last year when I had the house reshingled, I also had a lot of new insulation put in.

Jane, I remember that ice storm well. It happened after my move from Montreal to PEI. I'm now looking for some good oil or kerosene lamps so that I could at least keep working if the power goes out. Due to the cost, a generator is not an option right now. The worst thing is the feeling of isolation and helplessness. During the blackout an ice dam built up on the roof and water leaked into the studio. Fortunately it was on the oil paintings.

Oh Bars, if only we could exchange weather for just one day!

Hope you are all well...

__________________________Wendell

LJW
02-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Wow, Wendell, a leak in your studio. Yikes! I hope nothing was affected. We really are dependent on electricity. It's funny how things go. When we lived in the city, we didn't have a fireplace and I wished when the power was out that we had one, as cold was a major problem. When we moved out here to the country, we bought a house with a BIS unit which can heat up the living room really well. BUT, when you are on a well, if you don't have power, you don't have running water. Plus, we live in an area with a high water table, and we need to pump out the sump in spring and fall or the basement will flood. When the power goes out, we get several inches there, so we can't use the basement for storage. So neither situation is ideal. I wish solar power was a lot less expensive so it could be used as a backup. Jane

Pat Isaac
02-03-2008, 02:13 PM
:eek: Water in the studio. How scary. I do hope everything is okay. We often don't realize how dependent we are on utilities until we lose them. We had a bad hurricane here in '85 and lost our power for a week. The biggest problem was refrigeration as we have natural gas for cooking, hot water and other things. We had a large freezer full of our garden produce, which my son-in-law fortunately took to his store freezer.(the produce not the freezer)
Sun is great for heating..

Pat

Scarefishcrow
02-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Wendell,

I hope you get your power back soon!!!! Sounds like you could use the little emergency flashlight I got for Christmas with rechargable batteries you can charge up with a little hand crank if there's no power!! Only sounds like you could use a big one with someone to crank it!! Good luck.

Bill