PDA

View Full Version : WIP ADVICE Needed PLEASE!

maw-t
01-28-2008, 12:42 AM
Hi yall!
I started this a while ago, and not nearly finished... I goofed again and sketched it on wrong side of paPER, before realizing.. grr. My questions are.. does this work at all comp wise?? Can you tell what the lady is doing? And should I just paint in a plain BG & leave the other people out... Crop or not? Any other help or suggestions ?? Thanks!

WC Lee
01-28-2008, 12:49 AM
nice composition :) ... my preference would be not to crop and leave the other people in the picture, just keep them slightly blurry and maybe a tad darker than the lady in the front. Also, I would make the hair of the middle girl dark to provide contrast. That would be what I would do anyhow, so its probably not the best option :D

Tracer
01-28-2008, 01:25 AM
I'm with W.C. Just ellude to the BG and darken it a bit. The comp is great! Nice job!!

arlenebc
01-28-2008, 05:40 AM
I think this is coming along very nicely. The composition works. I also like it uncropped. I think your main figure would pop more without the others in the background, but they add a lot of interest to the picture. Maybe darkening them and the background as suggested would be just the thing. You have a really nice style to your painting!

Arlene

Colorix
01-28-2008, 05:58 AM
Hi T, oh, definitely the left, larger version, because it tells a story (*with* the other two young ladies :-)

Hm, I would think of losing the door, as the eye and mind would want to wonder through it and see what's in the next room.

I agree with the other posters, let the front lady be the *star* of the show, really blurry background (try to cover most of the paper, I know it is hard on this side of it), and the other ladies clearly there, but much less defined. That 'duck-row' of ladies is so charming, and it'd be rather cool to discover the other two behind the first lady, and she could have most of the texture.

Good luck with the work, it is a very promising start!

maw-t
01-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks yAll for the suggestions!!
I Did some work on this.. I dont know, still not real happy with it, but better... On to the next!

annepropst
01-28-2008, 03:06 PM
The second version is so much better. What paper did you use? I think it is wonderful.

maw-t
01-28-2008, 05:20 PM
thanks.. I used canson Mi Teines(sp).. the rough side by mistake.. I prefer the smooth side. I am about to order some different papers... hopefully will love them.

maw-t
01-28-2008, 05:23 PM
thanks.. I used canson Mi Teines(sp).. the rough side by mistake.. I prefer the smooth side. I am about to order some different papers... hopefully will love them. Oh and I see she has chipmunk cheek.. need to fix that. If anybody sees something else that stands out, please mention :)

AliciaS
01-29-2008, 02:47 PM
I missed this thread too....this is very well done. i really like the first composition the best..I think the eye goes to the doorway because it is a very calm place in the painting...i think if you were to bring the eye back to the woman in front that would help...having alot going on in a painting is great but to bring a resting place in the center of interest will help..i like the colors and you did a great job on the face!!

Jancee
01-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Your change is much better....good work!
Jan

maw-t
01-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Alicia, Thanks for the comments.. I am not sure I know what you mean about bringing the eye back to the lady? How does one go about doing that? I really should study about such things...Thanks again for your comments, they mean alot to me coming from my new mentor:))

maw-t
01-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Hi jancee, Thanks!! and thanks for dropping by :)

arlenebc
01-29-2008, 06:17 PM
I think this turned out really nice. Good job, T!

Arlene

WC Lee
01-29-2008, 06:34 PM
came out nice :) I think sharpening the facial features a bit will give it more of a center of focus.

bruce johnson
01-29-2008, 06:40 PM
I like the composition and the use of light.. I would probably try it again on the other side of the paper.. its a very good painting