PDA

View Full Version : What time of day do you paint?

Paula Ford
01-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Hi Everybody,

I am curious...what time of day do you paint? I seem to come alive at night. Most of the time I start painting around 9:00 p.m. Haven't a clue why though.

You?

Paula

WC Lee
01-27-2008, 01:26 PM
I paint whenever I get into the mood or whenever inspiration strikes ... can't force it to a specific schedule, it will show in the sketch or painting.

Donna T
01-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Paula, I can't hardly have a coherent thought at 9 PM much less paint! Too late for me. I do best in the mornings after the coffee kicks in and unfortunately I feel creative again about the time I should be making dinner. If only we didn't have to eat... :rolleyes: .

Donna

nana b
01-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Hi Paula, I like to paint some mid morning around 9:30 AM for a couple of hours and then in the afternoon, maybe 3 hrs. I also paint at night but can't really get into it for some reason. Night would be a great time for me too because my husband is an early to rise, early to bed guy. I do spend that time planning the next day's agenda. Some days I don't paint and some days I spend most of the day painting. To make a long story short:D I paint when I'm in the mood!
And I also tend to get in the mood when around mealtime:lol:

nana

Shari
01-27-2008, 02:02 PM
I like to paint in the morning, by afternoon I am ready for a nap. In art class we have demo the first half of the day and start painting around 1:30 in the afternoon. Afternoon painting usually requires a cup of green tea.

K Taylor-Green
01-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Nights have always been my favorite time to do ANYTHING! But I also paint in the afternoons as it fits my schedule better, and only if inspiration is burning.

maw-t
01-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Off and on all day here lately...whenever the mood strikes.. Seems I enjoy it most after the rest of the house is sleeping.. 10:00pm-2am.

Donna A
01-27-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm a "night person" like Paula and Katherine---but my "schedule" would be described more like WC's. When the kids were little, later evening was 'my' time---and the phone didn't ring, nor the doorbell. Ahhh---luxury! Sometimes other "night persons" have been given a 'bad time' labeled as lazy or such since we did not usually roll out of bed by 5 or 5:30 am---but my twins taught me immediately that there really ARE different body clocks. John is STILL a night person and Melanie is STILL a morning person, and that was obvious from the first week---and hasn't changed in nearly 45 years! So we all have out natural times, I believe! :-)

I highly admire those who have a 'regular schedule' to paint---or novelists to write, etc---but I have to paint when it's there 'spilling out of me' and the other times, I'll plan and savor---and go play catch-up with the laundry and such! :-) Great thread, Paula! Take good care, all! Donna ;-}

chewie
01-27-2008, 03:54 PM
ha, i like this thread, as i for some reason feel slightly guilty for liking my night time painting! i feel i should be up wtih the dawn, but yet, that ain't really me--but i had to for some years while milking. and now, up at 6 to get my family off on their days. but i would sleep til 9, bed at around midnight or 1am, i like that best! i almost have this guilty giddy pleasure of when i head to the studio when the family is 'done with me' for the day, i slink off, relieved and smiling knowing i have my studio to ease my stress of the day. ahhh....

Muffin_4377
01-27-2008, 03:55 PM
I am SOOOOOO a nightowl!! I find some of my best work comes outta me between the hrs of 12am - 2am. HUGE "BUT" here though....I rarely get to paint during those hrs anymore. Once my daughter started gr.1, I can no longer keep those kinda hrs. The most fustrating thing is getting the urge to start painting at 9-10pm (and that urge comes EVERY night) and not being able too cause I'll have to be in bed in a hourish....One hr of paintin' just isn't enough for me.

So I've had to switch it up...get up in the morning, deal with getting the family out the door....tidy up the house and get to the easel about about 9am. Then I have pretty much all of the day to paint and chat. Started doing that since the new yr....If I'm gonna paint, I'll have to do it no matter the hour. Been working pretty good for me so far......

HarvestMoon
01-27-2008, 05:10 PM
oh I am for sure a morning person when it comes to painting.... that is unless I get decent lighting in the studio so that I can see at night LOL

DAK723
01-27-2008, 05:20 PM
When I was in college, I used to wake up creatively late in the evening. I spent many hours drawing and painting through the Tonight show and sometimes through the Tomorrow show as well! I think in many ways, I am still most creative at those times, but now I tend to do my artwork on the weekends during natural light hours, usually the afternoon. But I am still more of a night owl and definitely not a morning person.

Don

Colorix
01-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Anytime except mornings. My mornings preferably start around 10 am, or later... Am an rather extreme night-owl, which is annoying, as I crave sunshine. During winter, I basically hibernate, as I get SAD. (Only affects awareness, short-term memory, and attention-span. Does not affect my moods, I'm usually rather positive.)

During the SAD winter, I try to spend the day in daylight, taking walks and such. I start painting when the sun goes down, around 3 pm... Hubby makes dinner, bless his soul. I've got strong good lights in my work-room, which helps beating the SADness. I try to stop for the day at dinner, but then I end up at the computer and WC until way too late... :-)

Other times of the year I may start painting at 8, 9, or 10 pm. I go for 2-3 hours, then I need to rest. Or I paint outdoors. Or traipse around the countryside, taking pics with my digital camera, stocking up for winter.

To those who rise bright and early and moralize over my hours I usually respond: If I sleep 8 hours, and work 8 hours, what difference does it make which hours I do it? Is it more moral to wake up at 5 am after 8 hours sleep and then work for 8 hours? Don't think so! Better to get most work done when *I* am bright and shiny, around 10 pm to around 2 am. (Sorry, bit of a peeve to me, as Mother Dearest was an early riser and had moral views on it. Gotta get over it, it has been too many decades since I left her home.)

Oh, I can sit down to paint at any time, if I don't get into the *flow* within 10 minutes, then I know it is useless, but that rarely happens. I usually get immersed in paint (no pun intended) pretty quickly. Inspiration kick-starts, don't have to wait for it.

If only a day was 26 to 28 hours long instead of the measly 24! Then we night-owls would do hootingly well. ;-)

bluefish
01-27-2008, 07:27 PM
definitely a A.M. person - a few years back I would most times be painting in my studio at 5 or 5:30 am - since I'm at the ocean front, it's light @ 4;30 or so in May/June so the day starts early - can get a lot of painting done before breakfast - only paint at night on very rare occasions - use that time for framing, ordering materials, etc and playing on WC!:thumbsup:

reisa
01-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi All! I'm a night owl! I guess I am really really a night owl! No10pm-2am for me, I like 11pm-4am best :)
Spent years people telling me I was lazy, like Charlie said, until I realized, hey I work just as hard! Just at different times! I like to do things when I want to do them, that means 'NO SUNRISES!!!!!!' I sleep through those;)
Reisa:) :) :)

Goewyn
01-27-2008, 10:05 PM
I am definately a nightowl. If it weren't for the day job, I would be painting 9 pm - 4 am. As a teacher, when we get the long 2-3 week vacations, I always end up falling back to that schedule.

-- Linda

Deborah Secor
01-27-2008, 10:09 PM
I'll paint any time I can get to the easel for as long as no one needs me to do something else. I love to paint at night but I usually find that color work is best done in actual daylight, so I often write at night. I don't need the light for that, just battery life. I sit in bed and write or do research. Occasionally I do drawings or tweak my photos in PS at night, too.

Considering so many are nightowls I'm surprised more people don't hang out here at night... Actually maybe that's a good thing. You're at the easel instead, I guess!

Deborah

GhettoDaveyHavok
01-27-2008, 10:26 PM
I do it at any time. But mainly, I am doing it at night when people aren't really awake. This is so that I don't get too much distraction, or having to come out and get a glass of water for my dad, or my little brother barging in through the door to annoy me. I mainly start painting around midnight. I also do it at night because I can lock my door without people trying to come in since people are asleep, and I can be naked when I do not feel like being in my clothes.

fiannah
01-27-2008, 10:36 PM
I used to be a night owl till i moved back to the east coast, now i find myself getting up early, not crack of dawn early, but around 7 or 8 am and by the time i shower, eat, check email, ready news, it is 9 or 10 and i find that to be a good time to paint for me. I cant seem to get in the mood to paint in the evenings anymore.

Dot Hoffman
01-28-2008, 11:37 AM
I paint in the afternoons. Mornings are often taken up with appointments and "must-do's" (grocery shopping, laundry, hair cut, chiropractor, etc.). Today for example, our floor guy is re-sanding our hardwood kitchen floor and putting on another coat of poly, so doing anything all day is pretty much out of the question. He IS letting me stay home until it gets time to put the poly on -- nice of him :)!! Things like that come up all too frequently and interfere with studio time. I can't paint at night -- I'm a morning person, and simply can't stay focused at night. I always paint on Friday afternoons at art clinic, for the comraderie more than anything else.

I'm really enjoying this thread. It's fun to see how everyone else fits painting into their schedules :)

purpleheather
01-28-2008, 11:37 AM
I like mornings when I'm fresh and the natural light is available. My brain isn't cluttered yet.
Nights I use for things I don't need natural light for - study, reading, poetry, visiting. My evenings are so busy :(

Anne

Paula Ford
01-28-2008, 01:44 PM
WOW, it's so interesting seeing all the different times all of you paint.

I work full time (plus tons of overtime) and normally it's Saturday night by the time I get rested enough to paint. By Sunday night I'm raring to go!! Unfortunately, the laundry needs to be done and house needs to be cleaned and the week is about to begin all over again. It would be so nice to have a part time job that pays as much as my full time job.....of course, that's never going to happen.

Sometimes at the beginning of the week, up to Wednesday night, I get to paint for a little while, but by Thursday I'm pretty tired.

Paula

David Patterson
01-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Hi Everybody,

I seem to come alive at night. Most of the time I start painting around 9:00 p.m. Haven't a clue why though.Paula

Maybe that's because you were once bitten by a Count!:evil:

I usually paint at night on week nights...and in the afternoons on the weekends.

David

P.S. - Paula sleeps in a coffen, and you'll never see her outside without her sunglasses!:cool:

Paula Ford
01-28-2008, 04:19 PM
LOL....you're a nut David!!

Doodlebug1967
01-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Paula, LOVE this thread. I thought I was the only night-owl...at least in my circles I guess. I'm not alone here though! I much prefer painting at night. I could start around 8 or 9 pm and it'd be 2 am before I realized it. Of course, that was before I got married and work was less than 9 miles away the next day. When I married I moved an hour away and spend a good deal of my day driving to and from work with little energy at the end of the day. I'm a night owl for sure...that will never change physiologically, but do require the 8 hours for good rest. With the long work commute that means going to bed when I'd normally prefer painting (frown). But on the good side of all that I have a wonderfully supportive husband of my artwork and he wants me to paint any time and every time I can....he knows I'm happier when I'm dusty!

I think we nighttime painters like it because it's quiet and we are completely in our own world with no outside distractions (telemarketers, children, friends calling, etc.)

Ronda

Merriel
02-01-2008, 05:23 PM
I paint in the morning. Usually start about 9:00 and quit about 1:00. 3 hrs or so, and if I'm not painting I'm straightening up the studio or going through my art mags that I subscribe too or do something related to art. then I have the afternoon with hubby to go places and shop and then I can read in the pm.

Happy painting, whatever time you choose.

merriel

Steff
02-01-2008, 06:59 PM
OK I'll join in. I do not have good lighting in my house, so if I am working with colors, daylight hours are a must. I wake up early(not by choice), but by the time the kids are in school and the dogs are walked, etc. it is around 9-10 before I can start on my artwork. By about 4 the light is already getting too dim to continue. I never paint straight through, but break it up with errands, etc.

ColorOfMagic
02-04-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm retired and my time is my own, however, as a general rule, if something needs doing it doesn't get done unless it's in the morning.

Paula Ford
02-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Paula, LOVE this thread. I thought I was the only night-owl...at least in my circles I guess. I'm not alone here though! I much prefer painting at night. I could start around 8 or 9 pm and it'd be 2 am before I realized it. Of course, that was before I got married and work was less than 9 miles away the next day. When I married I moved an hour away and spend a good deal of my day driving to and from work with little energy at the end of the day. I'm a night owl for sure...that will never change physiologically, but do require the 8 hours for good rest. With the long work commute that means going to bed when I'd normally prefer painting (frown). But on the good side of all that I have a wonderfully supportive husband of my artwork and he wants me to paint any time and every time I can....he knows I'm happier when I'm dusty!

I think we nighttime painters like it because it's quiet and we are completely in our own world with no outside distractions (telemarketers, children, friends calling, etc.)

Ronda

Hi Ronda, I could have written the exact same thing about myself! (Except I've never had kids, and don't answer my home phone :D )

For those of you who listen to music while you paint, try the "Soundscapes" music channel on tv, it's really beautiful to listen too when the brain is on the right :)

Paula

Pat Isaac
02-04-2008, 04:19 PM
I am definitely a morning person. I like to get to the studio as early as possible. It is easier in the summer as the mornings are lighter. By mid aft. I am done and I never paint at night.....can't think by then.....:lol:

Pat

dobber
02-05-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm definitely a night owl. I'll paint well into the morning hours on a weekend but I have to limit myself during the week. If I paint too late I have trouble going to sleep which makes my getting up for my bill paynig job difficult.

Dobber

IdahoHat
02-06-2008, 02:16 PM
:wave: Hello all of you Night Owls! During the winter I usually begin after lunch and, on Paint With a Friend, we begin around 10 AM. Sometimes, when I begin after lunch I keep going until bedtime (whenever that is.) HOWEVER, when I paint late, I cannot sleep when I go to bed - in my mind I'm still working on that eye or figuring out how to work that shadow OR plan pictures in my mind. OH MY, then I roll around in the bed keeping my husband awake. So, painting too late is a problem for my sleep cycle (I'm all about keeping healthy.)

IN THE SUMMER, we do plein air and try to get out as early as possible depending on how far we are going to drive. Living in this area, we will never exhaust the possiblities and we try to paint all day, just breaking for lunch or stretch our legs.

So - other than that I paint when it, as Donna says "comes spilling out of me." :lol: