PDA

View Full Version : Bead Pics - Let's Try This Again...

b2beads
06-23-2002, 12:04 AM
OK, I'm supposed to be a computer geek by day....posting a picture should NOT be beyond my capabilities!:D So, this is a test...

These are some of my favorite beads to make (if the pic actually posts...) my WildCats. Leopards, tigers - all made out of moretti glass on a white base with black stripes/spots then cased in lt., med., or dk. topaz.

Beth (B2)

Modesto
06-23-2002, 12:49 AM
Do you have any blown-up pics of the Tiger Striped beads that you can post?

Laura Brito
06-23-2002, 12:57 AM
Yea a close up! Yippe! Nice beads!

Laura

b2beads
06-23-2002, 01:21 AM
Hi, Harold. Here is a pic that's a little bigger, but the detail still isn't great. I'll take some close-ups tomorrow and post later.

B2

b2beads
06-23-2002, 01:23 AM
Laura - those are beautiful. I've just been experimenting with boro, but I still feel like I'm making beads in the dark. Just haven't adjusted to the darker glasses/shield. Need more light in my studio, probably. B2

artbabe21
06-23-2002, 12:10 PM
B2--what gorgeous beads!!!!!!!!! Awesome! You made them?
That's something I always wanted to do but my 'art dance card' is quite full. If I don't zero in on a few things only I end up doing a little of nothing!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing the pics!
Cathleen~:D

b2beads
06-23-2002, 02:07 PM
Hi Cathleen--yep, I made the beads. I started making beads in January. It's quite addictive. I'm "self-taught", but have had a ton of advice from other wonderful glass artists.

Here is another favorite style I love to make. These are for a bracelet collaboration project - which will use wire wrapping and sort of "ethnic" styling. I'll post the finished piece as soon as I receive it!

B2

artbabe21
06-23-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by b2beads
Hi Cathleen--yep, I made the beads. I started making beads in January. It's quite addictive. I'm "self-taught", but have had a ton of advice from other wonderful glass artists.

ONLY SINCE JANUARY?????????? OMG, you are so talented!!!! It's good to know that there is much shared from other glass artists.
Have you tried anything besides beads? I bought a small glass vase an art fair and it's mesmorizing to look at all the swirls of color. I am assuming this is an expensive art form to get started in? How would you compare it to someone beginning say oil painting if you consider all the equipment one has to buy for that?
thanks for sharing even more gorgeous beads!!!!!!!
Cathleen~:clap:

craftylady
06-23-2002, 03:39 PM
How did you post the picture? I have been trying it just wont work for me... Not sure what i'm doing wrong:confused:

b2beads
06-23-2002, 04:39 PM
My guess is you're doing it right, just the file is too big. Has to be under 100KB. In the attach file box below, browse to your file, make sure it's not 100KB or over and then "submit reply" - if you do preview, you will have to reattach the file I think - hmm, let me try that.

Yep, DON'T do preview, or if you do, you'll need to reattach pic.

Good luck. B2

Modesto
06-23-2002, 07:01 PM
B2 your tigers are too kewl, love that color combo.

Laura Brito
06-23-2002, 07:06 PM
Tigers are so cool!

The cost of lampworking can vary, it just depends on how much you want to do with it. I make my living doing beads, really I do. My husband & I work together and that is all we do is this. My daughter too! She makes her living doing this. BUT I have mega bucks in my studio. You can start off with about 300.00 with a torch called a hot head, I never tried one myself and they are noisy somewhat, and the fuel is not that inexpensive for it. But lots of people make al iving with a hot head!

What I have is a really big torch (4 of them in total we have) and I produce my own oxygen so I don't have to go exchange tanks (heavy and it does get expensive eventually). So I would say I have about 40,000 in my studio. But we are really into it! hehe

I would say with a 1,000 you can really set up a nice place to do beads and small sculptures. Let me know if you want more info. I am writing an article about the studio and I may put in some price ideas for people as well.

Good Luck!:p

b2beads
06-23-2002, 08:20 PM
I did start out on a hothead, and while there are many pros and cons, I'm really glad I started out that way. Minimal investment, no big tanks to intimidate. Pretty much you can get everything you need in a kit (often at Stain Glass shops or e-vendors such as Frantz Art Glass or Arrow Springs). Pick up a 1 lb. cannister of MAPP gas and away you go. The kits even have the "starter" how-to book with it in most cases. In the long run, those 1 lb. MAPP cannisters will become a pain, but you can move up to bulk propylene with minimal expense/adjustment.

Of course, in under 2 months I'd moved up to a bigger torch.....but, for me, the hothead was the way to start!

B2

candygrrl
06-23-2002, 09:15 PM
Beth!

I love those pale coral beads!! What base color is that? (Coral, maybe :P) It looks like you're using silvered stringer also, right? I wish I had taken some pics of my recent work, but it all got purchased before I had a chance, guess that's good, right? :)

On the topic of making a living at beadmaking, I think it's great that your family is successful at it, Laura. I recently lost my job (my boss was angry that I had to go on maternity leave early so the day I came back they told me "I wasn't a good fit." This after working there a year and a half before the leave. They also gave me 2 months severance pay and 6 months insurance. They don't usually do that for poor job performance, eh?) and I -really- want to try and make this into an income producing endeavor. I'm not sure where to start, as I'm not really interested in doing art fairs and such. I want to market my work to boutiques and galleries, but I'm not sure how to do that. I would welcome any suggestions! Should I send letters with photographs of my work and call to follow up? The market here is pretty much untapped as far as glass beads go, but I need some tips on the technique of selling yourself. I didn't have much call for that in my previous job :D

Candace

Nonie
06-23-2002, 09:49 PM
Ahhh ...these are great! I am such a newbie but I work at it everyday. I can only imagine making beads like this in the future.:clap:

Nonie
06-23-2002, 10:10 PM
B2

What an inspiration you are! I cannot believe you have only been at the torch since January. Absolutely amazing! You are a natural.

Don't you love this site Laura directed us to?
Thank you Laura:clap: :clap:

b2beads
06-23-2002, 10:36 PM
Hi Nonie - Welcome. Pretty cool forum. Thanks for the compliment. The first couple months (maybe first 4) that I was making beads, I had a really great situation in that I could actually make beads everyday if I wanted (and often did), and could work 4, 6, 8 hours at a shot (downside is "beadbutt"...) I really think that helped me get some of the basics down. Now I don't get to the torch near as often as I'd like, and I notice after a few days it definitely takes some "warm up" time :D

Candace - wish I had some words of advice for you... I, too, would like to start to explore local venues, but just have not had the time. I did have someone tell me that you can send slides and a letter to galleries - didn't have to go in person. But I have no idea if the "personal" touch would be better or not. I suspect when I get around to making a concentrated effort, at least for the local shops, I'll do the "in person" method (with pics to leave.)

My area also is a major untapped area. Don't know if there is much buying interest, but there certainly aren't a lot of glass beadmakers locally - at least that I've found so far!

Good luck (the job situation stinks, but I'm finding out lately that those types of unfair scenarios are becoming commonplace...)

B2

b2beads
06-23-2002, 10:41 PM
Opps, forgot to tell you what was in the coral bead twistie... I think (I've done multiple variations on these guys) it was a complex twistie with coral, ivory, silvered ivory and some powder pink. The powder pink I'm not positive on...but some slightly more pink rod (that isn't too hard to strike - I struggle with tongue pink, so I'm sure it wasn't that...)

I use the "fin" method of making complex twisties and I've found I need to go "easy" on the silvered ivory or it will overwhelm the whole thing and drown out the colors - a little bit goes a long way!

Hey, Nonie - how long have you been torching? How 'bout you Candace?

B2

candygrrl
06-24-2002, 03:04 PM
That's a cool idea to put the silvered ivory in a twistie! I will have to give it a try...

As far as the job thing, yeah it sucked. But I'm trying to look at it in a positive way. I was actually dreading going back to the daily office grind and wishing I could make a go of it on my own. Then *POOF* I got my wish :D

Anyway, I've been making beads for about 4 years. I took a class at the Museum of Art and fell so much in love that I bought a kit on the spot. At first I had a hothead torch out on the patio. Living in Alabama limited the times I could work due to the heat. So for the first year and a half, my practice was sporatic. Then I took a class with Sylvie Landsdowne, and kicked up my skills. I decided I had to have a minor torch, but I was still working outside. HOT!!! I barely got one session in a week then. :crying:

After much pleading, my hubby set up my studio inside and I love it!! So, for the past year, I have been doing it much more often. I plan to go to the Gathering this year and hopefully test out some torches. I need an upgrade!! Anyone else planning to go to the Gathering?

Laura Brito
06-24-2002, 03:25 PM
Candygrrl

Well the way we have done it is the following.

We have always run our own businesses, we really do not like to work for anyone else and havn't for the last 15 years. My husband and I then to have ups and downs finacially so you have to plan for those. You really get back what you put into something.

We started with lampworking as a hobby, mainly for my daughter whom I home schooled, we were all interested in it though. At the time I was running a very large bulletin board service (before the internet) in my home. The internet was coming along and my BBS was not making bills anymore so we decided to do other things, go to auctions, estate sales, make necklaces from our beads and that worked for us, we started going to Tucson to the Gem Show to buy more products, then decided to move to Tucson from Missouri instead of traveling twice a year to the show. We got alot more serious about our lampworking and we diversified even more. I now sell Lampwork Beads, some Lampwork Jewelry, Gemstone Jewelry of all types, Artifacts that I can find all over the world, I teach lampworking, I write articles on occasion (haven't made money doing that yet), and I also paint, and plan on selling paintings I do as well (when I feel they have merit). We also sell books at half.com. I also sell used items when I can get a good deal on something, and we are planning to buy large groups of things like metalworking tools when someone dies or gets out of the craft and other things that I know. Knowing what you are selling is most important. Oh and I am also a photographer (amateur I guess) but I do sell the rights to pictures on occasion to different people who want to use my pictures. So I guess you could say I am a jack of all trades...<grin> I love it! Being Diversified is really the key, I made the mistake these last few months of relying to heavily on my lampworking, then summer came and the bottom dropped out of my sales, so that hurt big time for alittle while until I got back on track with my other things.

Hope that helps! Diversify is pretty much the thing I recommend.

Laura

craftylady
06-24-2002, 04:40 PM
candygrrl
where are you at in Birmingham? Who did you take your first class from? You can e-mail me if you would like. I am about 1 hour and 30 min. from you if you are central located in Birmingham. I wish I could make the gathering this year. Maybe next year. I was wanting to go to the Nashville show but we are going to Disney world. Laurie

candygrrl
06-24-2002, 10:38 PM
craftylady

I live south of B'ham in Pelham (about 30 min from downtown) My first class at the Museum was with Deanna Griffin-Dove. I also took one at Naked Art with Rita Robinson much later as I was getting back into it, just as a networking thing really.

I am thinking of going to the Nashville show. Does anyone know how much it costs to go for the day? Are there enough lampworking vendors to make it worthwhile to drive 2 hours?

craftylady
06-25-2002, 10:15 AM
candygrrl

You can find out who will be there at this web site. WWW.artglassshow.com I was told this show is about stained glass with some lampwork. But Arts glass house , Frantz, And paragon will be there. Just a few i know of. Also here is a # 1-888-866-2472. Hope this helps. I also took my first class with Rita. The only class I have had so far.

Carol Saker
06-30-2002, 03:56 PM
B2,

I feel like one of Pavlov's dogs when I look at those coral beads! They remind me of the smoked salmon cream cheese I get at the bagel store. They are just luscious!:cat:

b2beads
06-30-2002, 04:15 PM
What until you see some of last night's beads. No pics yet, but they have that marble effect in slightly different colors. Tried out tongue pink - another striking color - and ivory, silvered ivory (the usual suspects) and some transparent green (which you really can't see...) I'll post later.

Got some crackle beads in the kiln now... Some good, some bad.

Thanks, Carol!

B2

b2beads
06-30-2002, 10:40 PM
Hey, Carol - I posted last night's beads in their own thread, but here is a "stone" bead just for you :D

I WILL get your "contest" bead out to you - I promise! I'm really behind on my beads... But catching up! Spent at least 5 hours last night on the torch and 7 hours today (so far!)

B2 :cat:

Carol Saker
07-01-2002, 12:10 AM
OOOH Beth! You are such a sweetie! Thank you for the eye candy. :) Hey, did I really win a bead!? Somebody pinch me! I'm off to the new post to see your next yummy creations.

Carol :cat: