PDA

View Full Version : wip. harbour

iroquois
01-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Hi folks, started this just before christmas, from a post card, cant find the card now. This is Lunenburg harbour NS there was a few boats but I decided to just put one in. arches 140 7x10. davinci.cotman. several paints. I think it would make a nice painting but now I'm lost as to what to do. advice would be appreciated. I'd like to put couple people, birds. James J.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2008/87072-waiting.jpg

Yorky
01-27-2008, 05:34 AM
Lovely colourful scene James. Would look even better with stronger colours.

You could add seaguls with flicks of white gouache over a dark background.

Doug

painterbear
01-27-2008, 07:09 AM
James,
This is a nice scene that you could work up into a lovely painting.

First, decide what you want the COI to be. If it is the boat, you could make it a little more colorful and put someone on board looking toward the shore.

I'm not sure what those two long poles near the boat are. If they are masts, they look much too long since they go off the top of the page, you could shorten them. If not masts, you could probably just leave them out of the painting altogether.

You might add some people on the shore looking out toward the boat as well. This would also add to the COI because living things in a painting (people, animals) always attract the viewer's eye.

Finally, check your values to make sure you have lights, mediums, and darks and decide where your light is coming into the picture so you can add strong shadows here and there to define the shapes.

Sylvia

iroquois
01-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Heres another I just started using a white boat. Boats masts are 6' - 7' and sometimes quite abit longer on some boats. But, should I shorten them a bit? James J.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2008/87072-2.jpg

painterbear
01-27-2008, 10:02 AM
James,
How long is the boat? If the mast you have there is 6'-7' long, that makes the boat look like it is only about 6' long at the most. Are those proportions correct?

I like where you ae going with the colors on this one. :thumbsup:

Sylvia

iroquois
01-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Sorry Silvia I should have said masts are longer than the boat, my boat is 25' long, my mast is 30'. Anyway will get to work on the darks.

laudesan
01-29-2008, 03:18 AM
You have some really good advice..

Do look in the wet canvas Reference Image Library though for copyright free ref pics of boats. There are thousands in there..:)

Cheers JJ

painterbear
01-29-2008, 05:59 AM
Sorry Silvia I should have said masts are longer than the boat, my boat is 25' long, my mast is 30'. Anyway will get to work on the darks.

Ah, then the proportions make sense. Anyone who is familiar with boats would probably know that. :rolleyes: Obviously, I'm not one who has spent much time around them. :cat:

What's the name of your boat? We used to live near a marina in Wisconsin and would go to the lake just to see the water sometimes. I got a kick out of the creative names on some of the boats that were docked in the marina.

Sylvia

iroquois
01-29-2008, 06:15 AM
Hi Sylvia, boat name is "JimmyLee" Jimmy my grandson, Leeanne my granddaughter.

painterbear
01-29-2008, 06:57 AM
What a nice Granddad you are, bet the little grands love the boat being named after them.

Sylvia

iroquois
02-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi folks, I think I'm finished on this one. I used bic wite-out pen for the terbulance the boat is making and the flag and bird at the roof to the right. I'm trying to depict a boat coming into harbour and picking up the mooring buoy, thats why the water terbulance .I left the bg quite blury,mg little more definition and the fg boat being the CI. What do you think? I mentioned this before about the pdf format showing better than the jpeg format, then it may be my computer... c&c..James J.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2008/87072-Sunday,_February_03,_2008.jpg

Yorky
02-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Nicely done James. I would advise getting a tube of white gouache for adding those highlights.

Doug

iroquois
02-03-2008, 06:53 PM
oops! Doug, little while ago you mentioned I think "Zantec " wite out as a fair tool for putting in whites that one has forgotten to leave in the paper. I could'nt find Zantec or Pantec, whatever. I have white gouache but did'nt like using it, maybe I'm not doing it right. Anyway, the next boat work I'm doing here I will use gouache, but after that I will try and remember to plan my leaving white paper. Thanks James J

iroquois
02-03-2008, 06:55 PM
The next boat I mentioned is the white one here.

Yorky
02-03-2008, 07:09 PM
The normal way is to use masking fluid James to preserve the whites, but gouache is quite acceptable for small areas such a seagulls.

Check out the 20 FAQ link in my signature for information.

Doug

painterbear
02-03-2008, 10:35 PM
James,
Another way to add whites is to scratch them out with the tip of an x-acto knife or razor. Just be careful where you place them because once added they are very difficult to cover up. You can see where I used this message on the highlights of the grapes in the painting in my signature line (click on the title to see the larger version in the thread).

It looks cleaner and sharper tha using white gouache. I use a white watercolor paint called Luma White by Daler-Rowney. It covers color nicely.

Sylvia