PDA

View Full Version : HOLY COW! The Best Pastels on the Planet- made by the Nicest (& most Humorous) Folks

HarvestMoon
01-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Holy Cow! The Generosity of Great American Art Works in this extremely challenging economic time is overwhelming.....

A HUGE Thank You and big Hugs to Bob Strohsahl of Great American ART WORKS for the fantastic support for the annual Llano Fine Arts Guild co-op’s juried Art Show! In keeping with Bob’s odd sense of humor he has issued us the ‘Holy Cow’ award, which will entitle the winner of the pastel category to any one of the 78 color assortments…. Which is worth $299.!!! (see all the 78 color assortments here….)

http://greatpastels.com/products.html (http://greatpastels.com/products.html)

I truly do believe that Great American (the inventor of amazing colors like Dead Head, Burnt Reynolds, Dragon’s Blood, Church Mouse, Surfangel, and (my favorites) Cindy Winkle and Perry Winkle) are indeed the best pastels on the planet- those of you who know me know I have tried them all…..

And those of you who know me know that I am very big on SUPPORTING folks who support WetCanvas and the local artist community….. so I will come right out and say it- even the best pastels on the planet cannot stay in business and continue to come out with new products if people don’t continue to buy their products….so PLEASE join me in telling your friends about these terrific pastels….and think about buying some for your favorite artist (like yourself)!!!

Remember our Wet Canvas sponsor Dick Blick has Great American pastels here:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz219/25/

Thank you again Bob!!! I know you must be bombarded by such requests, and cannot possibly respond to all of them, but we do sincerely thank you!!!

Deborah Secor
01-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Yep, I agree. Best pastels and really good guy... :thumbsup: ...plus I personally like to be amused by color names as I shop!

Deborah

HarvestMoon
01-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Deborah- I first bought the SW set of 78 (love that navajo color) and it has been love (and laughter at the names) ever since....I was truly thunderstruck.... I was asking for around a $50. retail value donation....my jaw is still on the floor...and I am inspired to get out the pastels again after my journey into watercolors.... I now (finally) have room to put out - drumroll please- everyone's 'to die for' set - THE FULL MONTE......

I have been itching for the floral set that Jerry's has.... wish Blick's had more of their pastels... they have the best price by far- esp. with shipping added- but not a huge selection.... and the smaller sets are more affordable too... everytime I paint on my porch the bees get so CONFUSED by the colors and try to eat the paper/ pastels/ etc.... wonder if Bob can come up with a Killer Bee (Floral) collection LOL....

annepropst
01-26-2008, 10:50 AM
So true that we should support those that support us...so thats all the excuse I need to go buy more pastels. I will support them and the gnp today!

HarvestMoon
01-26-2008, 11:34 AM
aye- gotta agree with that.... this is why my card stays maxed out- balances out my hubby who never spends money.... someone has to do it... here is a picture of my beautiful set... which I have now moved to a wonderful Heilman box...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2008/90309-pastel-set-GA.jpg

Deborah Secor
01-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Go for it, Anne. This should assuage my guilt at spending money on art supplies, right? I mean, it's a patriotic act to buy pastels. I like it...

Deborah

annepropst
01-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Absolutely, all of us at WC should buy more pastels to keep the recession at bay!!! Lets go shopping!!

Donna A
01-26-2008, 08:26 PM
LOL!!! Yes---Let's all go shopping for more pastels!!! We all "need" excuses to buy more materials, don't we??? Arrr arrr arrr! :-) And could we start a whole new set of definitions for "need" when it comes to our colors---or what!!!???!!! :-)

I have always adored Bob's names for his colors. His grand sense of humor, sassy wit and creative energy just sing out with these wonderful names! Hooray, Bob! Donna ;-}

HarvestMoon
01-26-2008, 08:45 PM
ok- lets make a list of great pastel names in case Bob run's out....

Ro-tel (like the tomatoes- with a bit of green for the peppers)
Godiva Chocolate
Muddy Buddy (my giant dog)

for our needs? hmm.....

A Burning Need to Swipe (the credit card) at something....
Because getting a package from UPS is the next best thing to Christmas....
Seeing beautiful fresh new pastels is almost better than... you know what....

Donna A
01-26-2008, 09:06 PM
ok- lets make a list of great pastel names in case Bob run's out....

Ro-tel (like the tomatoes- with a bit of green for the peppers)
Godiva Chocolate
Muddy Buddy (my giant dog)

for our needs? hmm.....

• A Burning Need to Swipe (the credit card) at something....
• Because getting a package from UPS is the next best thing to Christmas....
• Seeing beautiful fresh new pastels is almost better than... you know what....
LOL, Linda! You've gotten us off to a great start! :-)

OK---I don't think I can come up to Bob's great standards on color names---but for NEED---- Ohhhh, yeah! :-) How about:

• Cuz all my other pastels got a little bit dirty....
• Because I hadn't bought any new pastels in days and days (substitute "weeks and weeks" if you are somewhat saner)....
• Oppps. I thought I was ordering milk, eggs and bread. My mistake. Ohhhh well....

We're just scratching the surface! Donna ;-}

HarvestMoon
01-27-2008, 11:20 AM
• Cuz all my other pastels got a little bit dirty....
• Because I hadn't bought any new pastels in days and days (substitute "weeks and weeks" if you are somewhat saner)....
• Oppps. I thought I was ordering milk, eggs and bread. My mistake. Ohhhh well....

We're just scratching the surface! Donna ;-}

oh- I love the dirty one... add to that...

* because my pastels are broken, chipped, or mixed up
* my cat knocked them to the cement floor, and you know what happens then
* I tried to carry them in a badly built box so they got crushed, fell out, etc. (note this is also a great excuse for a great box like the Heilman...)
* because I probably won't get anything from Santa
* I need 3 sets (of everything)- one for a replacement set, one to use, one for the 'to go' box....(and perhaps my very favorite)...
* some of these may someday be discontinued, and I will still have some!!!

HarvestMoon
01-27-2008, 11:29 AM
oh, I thought of a new one- and it is just for Great American....

* most of my GA's except the Richard McDaniel set I bought from DICK BLICK are ROUND and now they are SQUARE.... I need to buy more to have the new cool Square ones that won't roll off the table!!!

* we need to get dick blick to carry the full line of GA's.... because they only have 4 of the sets not the OPEN STOCK..... grrrrr....

* because they are having a big SALE for 15% off at db's right now (another favorite excuse)...

annepropst
01-27-2008, 11:46 AM
How about, because they don't cause weight gain and are cheaper than Godiva!

HarvestMoon
01-27-2008, 01:08 PM
How about, because they don't cause weight gain and are cheaper than Godiva!

good one...that goes with...

* because if we spend all our food money on pastels, we CAN'T gain weight!! :clap:

* because the Wallis paper ate them....:evil:

* because we have NOT spent thousands of dollars over the years on designer clothes and plastic surgery !!! :rolleyes:

Donna A
01-29-2008, 03:28 PM
:lol: Ohhh, Linda! I love your great REASONS!!! And Anne added a couple of wonderful ones, too! :-) Every pastel painter needs to be supplied with these great thoughts so that they will just roll off their tongue "as needed"---whether when debating with one's self---or with a spouse, etc. :-)

Our moms and grandmoms used to go out an buy a new hat when they needed a bit of new excitement in their life!

We go out an buy more colors!!! :-) Great vitamins for the spirit!

Take good care! Donna ;-}

HarvestMoon
01-29-2008, 03:52 PM
there you go Donna-

because of all the money I have saved by NOT buying HATS...

and because my cat keeps clicking the mouse on the ads on wetcanvas....things just magically drop in the shopping cart....I never should have given the cats their own credit cards.... it could explain the pizza with mouse toppings that are getting delivered here...

annepropst
01-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Vitamins for the spirit!!! Donna, that is a line I will use for sure. OK guys, I just bought my portrait box of Great Americans and feel the vitamins working already.

Donna A
01-29-2008, 05:07 PM
there you go Donna-

because of all the money I have saved by NOT buying HATS...

and because my cat keeps clicking the mouse on the ads on wetcanvas....things just magically drop in the shopping cart....I never should have given the cats their own credit cards.... it could explain the pizza with mouse toppings that are getting delivered here...

LOL, Linda! THOSE cats!!! :cat: :cat: I know!!! My two little rascals---what can i say! Each with their own typing techniques---and one can NEVER tell what they will be up to! :-) And once those pastels arrive---what can we do but simply put them to work! :-) Sending them back would just be too much of a bother! :-) And might even hurt the cats' feelings. Couldn't do THAT! :-)

Vitamins for the spirit!!! Donna, that is a line I will use for sure. OK guys, I just bought my portrait box of Great Americans and feel the vitamins working already.

Ahhhh, Anne! :-) How very wise to keep up your 'nutritional' well-being, especially during the winter months! :-) Now---you're just going to have to go do your excercises!!! Moving that arm up and down and across and back and forth! Those walks back and forth to the easel as you survey your work from the distance. :-) Who needs to bother with the gym! :-) You're going to be a grand ball of fire! Whatever will the rest of us do to keep up with you??? OHHHH, OHHHH I know! We can just go order.... :-) LOL! Have great fun with your new 'vitamins!' Yea! Linda, get those cats busy again! We've got to keep up with the vitaminized Anne! :-) Donna ;-}

HarvestMoon
02-07-2008, 08:37 PM
oh, you would not believe my cats.... I am going to do a mosaic project out of the stuff they have broken...but they do love the computer the best

IdahoHat
02-07-2008, 09:27 PM
This has been THE most entertaining thread I've come across in a lo-o-ong time! Let's see, which one of those reasons will work best in my situation? Hmm-m-m.

Oh, tell us about the Holy Cow Contest.

IdahoHat
02-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Still waiting to hear more about the Holy Cow contest.

HarvestMoon
02-11-2008, 09:29 PM
oh- sorry - it is the March annual show at the Llano Fine Arts Guild Gallery (Texas).... they do not have a website... but you can call (325) 247-4839 and get info on how to enter.... but mainly you drop off your paintings March 28 with $10. per painting... they are judged the 29th... you can pick them up the afternoon of the 30th....if you are in Llano it is a couple of blocks from THE BRIDGE....

IdahoHat
02-17-2008, 01:42 AM
O-oo-o-oh. Well, as a Texas girl now in Idaho, I don't think I can drop any off in time. I AM going to be in Texas in June, but in Dallas area. I have lived all over Texas and still love it even though I chose to retire in the mountains. It 's been a very long time since I've been in the Llano area. Thanks for the info, though.