PDA

View Full Version : Garage and Shed

woodguy
06-22-2002, 03:20 PM
Can not seem to stay away from the alleys! 15 x 22 140lb HP. As always any and all critue is welcome. Jim

http://jrlarimer.artistnation.com

dspinks
06-22-2002, 03:51 PM
The construction and texture of the piece are excellent. I like the variety of unexpected details such as the slope of the concrete on the right side and the boarded-up window.
Debra

T-Rex
06-22-2002, 06:42 PM
Love the brickwork and that open door, this looks finished to me...quite excellent:) ...Karen

jbrules
06-22-2002, 07:00 PM
bricks boy you need to show us how to do bricks. I have a cottage that my gran use to live in that I want to paint but the daunting of the brinks aaccckk. Not to mention the english greens LOL. great stuff. And Im seriouse, a quick demo on bricks would be appreciated LOL, Jan

surreal
06-22-2002, 07:37 PM
I like everything about it!
It's an excellent painting.
surreal :)

Jprice022
06-22-2002, 07:51 PM
Another good one Woodguy. Besides the bricks the corrugated metal is very good.

John

Fagan
06-22-2002, 08:15 PM
I agree!! Your brickwork is great! I like all of your textures.......another wonderful alley painting!

Little Old Lady
06-22-2002, 08:27 PM
Another great result from your alley prowling. I guess ou are our resident "alley cat".
JoAnn

Sandy1
06-22-2002, 08:53 PM
I agree the brick work is fabulous . Please tell how you did it.

ArthurG
06-22-2002, 09:15 PM
Great work. Superb detail in the brick work and everything else is very effective as well.
Art

Rich Williams
06-22-2002, 10:16 PM
Jim all the others have concentrated on the shed, which is great. The thing that I notice is that you are really improving on your trees and the values in them. These trees have great depth and volume.

Rich

Mason
06-22-2002, 10:52 PM
Seems everyone pretty well covered this. I will throw in the perspective is good also.
Mason

taghera
06-22-2002, 11:15 PM
Very good painting Jim, agree with Rich about your trees, good job. :)

chris 97
06-22-2002, 11:34 PM
always love to see your work. AT LEAST YOU ARE NOT HANGING OUT IN DARK ALLEYS!:)

woodguy
06-23-2002, 05:24 PM
Many thanks to everybody. You comments are always encouraging and I do appreciate them. As far as my technique for I start out very tight and controlled. I paint each brick individually leaving a white mortar line. The colors I used here were Aliz Crimson and B Sienna mixed fairly thin. I paint the bricks randomly, never more than two at a time that are touching. As I mix only a small amount of color at a time this allows me to mix each batch differently. The result is that not all the bricks or areas of brick are the same color. Using sepia india ink and a crow quill pen I begin to ink in shadow lines around the brick. Some odf the mortar I leave white and some is done in different shades of gray. I try to create variation. I end up using lots of glazes of rose madder, r sienna and r umber and different warm and cool grays. And then fianally I use spatter and slatter to add more texture. and a razor blade to scratch out some detail.

jbrules
06-23-2002, 05:54 PM
aahhh your a good stick. Thanks for the quicky, LOL on the brick work I mean. Jan

MALARKEY
06-23-2002, 07:12 PM
Hi Jim, this is another great painting, I like all your work. Thanks for the detailed explanation of how you do the bricks. :D

woodguy
06-23-2002, 08:48 PM
Jan....Thank you ( I am blushing) for the nice response. Jim

Thanks for the nice response, Malarkry. Jim

djstar
06-24-2002, 11:42 AM
I used to live over on Corona, then Logan, and also Ogden.
All of your alleys look so familiar to my part of the Wash Park area.
Your name always hits me.
What neighborhood are most of the gems from?
(What I miss most were the poppys and Lilacs blooming all up and down them in May... sigh... cough)
dj (not close to the flames, but it sure feels like heck)*

woodguy
06-24-2002, 11:49 AM
Thanks for looking, DJ. Most of these alley scenes are from the Baker neighborhood. From Alameda north to Speer, and from Broadway west to Santa Fe. Not really too far from where you have lived. Are you getting alot of smoke in the air? For a few days Denver was completely clouded in smoke. It was hard to breathe. Jim

djstar
06-24-2002, 12:51 PM
She packed up from Yuma and is visiting various related ones.
My Dad is in Littleton and he is having a hard time. Says his eyes are watering constantly.
We are WAY up wind from it but all of the little towns are where my basic client base goes for the Summer.
I know there will be tales in a week or so to tell.

Give my regards to Famous Pizza and My Brother's Bar.
dj*