PDA

View Full Version : WIP - no title, just cows and cowboys.

NC-artist
01-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi everybody!!

A little background.....

i've never painted horses or cattle before much less anyone on horseback so any feedback would be appreciated. i do not thoroughly plan my paintings on canvas instead i have an idea and do a halfway quick sketch ontop the canvas and "play" with the figures directly. hopefully that'll explain alot :)

My biggest question is on leg placement on a moving horse. Is this horse's leg action believeable or should i change the leg positions.

right now 2 legs are in motion on the same side (something isn't feeling right about it but i'm not sure), one rear leg is down, the front leg in the foreground i can't decide what to do with it. initially it was down but now i'm wondering what to do with it.

there are was one horse gait animation i found on the net but it didn't have this slow walk/trot gait i'm looking for. i also have several southwest mags but i haven't found the leg positions that i'm looking for.

this sounds silly i know but i need a little help from someone with a bit of horsesense LOL!

thanks for any help you can offer.

lyn

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/ncgoldfish/r.jpg

16" x 20"

coyote
01-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Do a search for Muybridge. He did a photo analysis of horse gaits way back in the 19th century.

NC-artist
01-23-2008, 08:57 PM
thank-you :)

NC-artist
01-23-2008, 08:59 PM
that's the one i have saved.........not quite what i need though.

appreciate you taking a moment to answer. :)

NC-artist
01-23-2008, 09:03 PM
that's the one i have saved.........not quite what i need though, the gait's too fast.

appreciate you taking a moment to answer. :)

paintergrl
01-23-2008, 10:22 PM
This one looks like it is going to turn out great. I can already see the depth that you have captured.

I'd help you out if I could.....but that horse-sense is one thing that I am sorely lacking in myself!!!.lol..

Amber

Trilby
01-23-2008, 10:54 PM
for a first cow and horse effort this is really very good. I especially like the cattle and the rear horseman. The walking gaite is a diagonal gait. so as the horses left front leg is reaching the ground, its right rear leg begins to come forward and the animal is balanced on the other two legs for a milisecond. as the rear right leg reaches the ground the front right leg begins to reach out and as it reaches the ground the rear left leg begins its forward reach. You might go to the book store or library and take a look at how to draw horses. Most will give a good dipiction of the 4 to 5 gaits. That's the only reason I can write the above, because I'm not a horse person and struggle with drawing them. your lead cow depicts the walking gait perfectly. Your front horse appears to be standing still for a moment in the water and looks fine doing that.
TJ

NC-artist
01-24-2008, 10:27 AM
thank-you Trilby and paintergrl.

i'd already searched a few days to find just what i needed and i tried changing some seach terms, tried a couple more times and finally found what i was looking for.

Trilby, i was an inch of way of going to the local library ;).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2008/123635-image.gif

it's a just a simple walk :clap:! i'm going to just put the pic i found here in case it helps anyone else.

thanks again!

Hoss_Lass
01-25-2008, 08:19 AM
I think you've got a nice composition going here, and if it was up to me, on your lead horse/rider, what you could do is put the horse into what looks like a slow canter/lope. From looking at the head/neck position the horse is going to be in a lifting, think "rocking up" as in a rocking horse motion. So a simple change of the front legs could save you a lot of extra work. Move the leg that is straight down into a bent and lifting position just enough that the lower leg angle is just in front of the other bent leg and just above the ground. (Hope this is clearer than mud! :confused: )

Iaartist
01-25-2008, 09:40 AM
My eyes first went to the first horse then back to the cows and to the back ground horse. I think that you have it set up just perfect.

Your confo on the horse is pretty good, although most stock or working horses are a little more thick or stout. Theay have very heavy mucsle in their chest area, If its a quarter horse. Maybe its not.
If you look up working cow horse, you will see many photo's of these horses.

I think you off to a great start.

NC-artist
01-25-2008, 11:10 AM
I think you've got a nice composition going here, and if it was up to me, on your lead horse/rider, what you could do is put the horse into what looks like a slow canter/lope. From looking at the head/neck position the horse is going to be in a lifting, think "rocking up" as in a rocking horse motion. So a simple change of the front legs could save you a lot of extra work. Move the leg that is straight down into a bent and lifting position just enough that the lower leg angle is just in front of the other bent leg and just above the ground. (Hope this is clearer than mud! :confused: )

Oh i'm loving (and appreciate) the great feedback i'm getting - THANK-YOU!! Very helpful!

Between you, Trilby and Laartist i believe i'll can get a successful painting out of this!

frottis
02-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Lyn- It looks to me like the horse is knee deep in water, but the level where the legs intersect the waters surface is right at the shore line. If that's the case, there would be a ledge and a shadow to indicate it, or put some water surface behind the legs . Also, unless the water is perfectly still you shouldn't be able to see the legs, undistorted and the cast shadow at the horses feet. There should be some rippling and reflection to indicate the waters surface. I hope this doesn't sound too negative. It's a good concept! The distant rider, mountains, and cattle is very successfull. Look forward to seeing the finish-Mark:thumbsup: