PDA

View Full Version : Still Life - Red 2

ejtupi
01-22-2008, 06:44 PM
I tried taking about 50 pictures of this, but the sculpted paint / impasto sections catch some light no matter how I do it. I had to tone down the contrast a little, but still ended up with a bit of glare.... Hopefully you can make this out clearly enough, though.

16 X 20, acrylic on canvas

Thanks for any comments or critiques.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2008/114249-Still_life_-_red_2.jpg

Lynxes123
01-22-2008, 10:22 PM
This is really a gorgeous and very unique painting and makes me think of a crimson seashell! What wonderful 3-d depth and some areas look translucent! :clap: :thumbsup:

Wilsonart
01-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Really different,,,I like that.:thumbsup:
Awesome texture,,,color.
Love how the yellow comes through only in places.

ThreeWolves
01-23-2008, 01:38 AM
He's something out of alice in wonderland. I especially like the big cupcake in the upper left. Love the peice.

ejtupi
01-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Thank you, everyone. Believe it or not, this image was really the product of when I found a moose spine that some hunters had left after field butchering one they had shot. Fortunately it was a cold day and I was able to wrap it in a tarp and take it home and look at it. There seemed to be something in the shape that I kept seeing in my mind. Sorry if that seems gruesome, but it's not really - there's an organic feel to the skeleton of any animal, including that of a human - a life used to be part of it, and it a part of a life. Probably why I could never imagine myself shooting an animal.

Which is why I call this a still life.

Graceforme
01-24-2008, 11:12 PM
I love it! The colors are incredible! The texture is amazing!
What a great idea to use something like a "moose spine" to inspire you!:)