PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into it

prettyinpink
01-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Well I did watercolour a while ago and I kind of stopped, but I have decided to get back into it. My dad told me to check out this site because they give advice that could make you better so here is a pinting I have done and i would like some advice...thanks.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2008/102297-DSC00370.JPG

AmyLC
01-21-2008, 11:24 PM
Welcome! This is a great place to hang out. I've found over the years that I learn alot just by looking at the work other people post in the "Gallery" and reading the critiques they receive. There are some very talented artists here to help.

Your Tink is very cute - well done! Keep painting! One small tip I might give is to think about what other colors might be present in an area. For example the green dress....instead of just using more or less water to intensify the green for shadows, maybe use a little bit of blue in your shadows. Maybe a different color? Play with it a bit and see what you get.

Don't be afraid to mess up - it's only paper and you just may learn something in the process.

Also - this thread might get moved to the Gallery....which is where we post finished w/c work on paper. There's a "studio" where you can post things that aren't done that you'd like advice on. right now you have it posted in the "Plus" section which is finished work on surfaces other than paper, or mixed media with watercolors and something else such as ink, or pastels, etc. Confusing at first - I know. But stick around, you'll get the hang of it.

prettyinpink
01-22-2008, 01:48 AM
Thanks for your advice Amy...yeah I am still working on shading...the dress is a green and a yellow mixed together and i put some darker green for shading. I am just expiramenting at the moment.

Yeah I kind of re-read the discription of the fourm after the fact lol.

Yorky
01-22-2008, 06:14 AM
Welcome to the forum :wave:

This is a fun painting and my advice is paint the things you like while you develop your skills.

Doug

painterbear
01-22-2008, 06:51 AM
Hi Amy,
Welcome to the Watercolor Forum. I'm glad your Dad pointed you in this direction. He is right, you'll get lots of helpful comments here. You can also learn by looking at other people's paintings and adding your comments to their threads. :D

Your little fairy is really sweet looking. I like the expression on her face and her gossamer wings.

Since you are still working on finishing the painting, I've moved it to the Studio. Just keep adding photos as you progress with the painting. When you are done, you can post the finished painting in the Gallery. :D

Check out the links in my signature line for interesting threads that might be helpful in your "studies" to become a watercolorist. ;)

Sylvia

Dougwas
01-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Good start!!! Now let's see some more. You are in good hands here. There are some very helpful, knowledgeable people here who are more than willing to help you out. See, dads do know things!!:D

Dad:heart: