PDA

View Full Version : woman corn vendor

Lazink
01-21-2008, 05:08 PM
This is a painting that I am working on. I have been working on it for several months. Holidays were thrown in there. The left side of the photo is inaccurate, the paper is a little curled so there is a bit of distortion.

I like what I have done so far. There is a pile of corn kernels at her feet and I must add some ears of corn on the ground was well. I just was wanting to share this because its all I've been working on.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2008/57900-unfinished_woman.jpg

Yorky
01-22-2008, 05:55 AM
This is looking good Larry.

Check the width of her forearms the left seems narrower than the right.

Doug

painterbear
01-22-2008, 06:25 AM
Larry,
This is an interesting subject and the composition looks good.

Good work on the the wall and the doorway, the lady's skirt and top are nicely painted as well. I love her fedora hat and its cast shadow (you might want to list a little of the color there, it is very dark compared to the rest of the values in the painting).

Adding the corn ears will finish the story you are telling in this painting.

Sylvia

hpthecat
01-22-2008, 11:30 AM
I saw this last night while I was stealing a moment at work. :) Don't tell the boss. :)

I couldn't believe this painting was up to 40 views and NOBODY said anything, especially when this is such a nice painting. I notice you are in Michigan...I am assuming this painting is inspired by the Amercan Southwest or Mexico. IMO, you are doing a wonderful job so far of capturing that CULTURE.

I am overall impressed, but especially intrigued by the stone walls and her skirt. I TOTALLY AGREE with Sylvia though, adding the corn ears will further tell the story. Please do post us the update :).

HarvestMoon
01-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Larry- this is absolutely fantastic!!!! wowie zowie- you ARE ready to quit the day job and paint full time!!!!

Lazink
01-22-2008, 11:56 AM
thank you All for your kind coments. I haven't checked the forearms but I think the biceps on the left arm is a bit bigger.

This painting is from an old postcard from Peru. The colors are my favorite type the warm earths.

I know that the cast shadow under the hat is different that the others, I will darken those yet. I have added some corn last night. I'll update the photo later this week.

Thanks Doug, Sylvia, Linda and HPthecat.

artdreamer1
01-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Cool--really like this one! Can't wait to see the big finish--love the color in this!

Michele

Brian Barnes
01-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Looking really good! :thumbsup: Love the colours. Can't wait to see the finish.

Not sure how her legs are positioned. Find that part a bit confusing but not a big deal.

BrianB

Lazink
01-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Well Brian
I think her left leg is up and her knee is behind her hands, the right leg is laying down but the dress hides the hint of the knee. I tried yesterday to improve the hint of the right knee. I'll see if I can't improve the other.

Brian Barnes
01-22-2008, 04:01 PM
That's what I thought. Perhaps it would be better to have her left knee come up higher and in front of her shirt a little. I tried it in PS and it helped. Like I said .... no big deal if you leave it though.

BrianB

olliewood0702
01-22-2008, 04:11 PM
The only thing bothering me was her legs too. It is hard to imagine that her right leg would be at that angle on the ground. She could be much more flexible than me though!! :D I really think this palette is wonderful for this painting. Wonderful stonework....just REALLY well done. Adding the ears of corn definitely will tell us the story!! Great job Larry!

Peggy SCx
01-22-2008, 09:05 PM
I like what you've done; I like how the colors work well together and fit the subject. Nice gesture.

jaytee
01-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Looking very good... at first I thought she was dozing off.. in that slumped position ..... so the corn cobs, especially the one in her hand (I think?) will be an important adjunct... and also help explain the knee position perhaps :)

Looking forward to seeing some more brushstrokes :)

Lazink
01-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Here is an updated photo of the painting. I darkened the inside of the doorway. I first had used violet and cobalt blue and finally I used ivory black. I like the deep color. Well you can see she has been hard at work. All the kernals at her feet and still some corn left to do.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2008/57900-woman_in_door002.JPG

Ms. Gee
01-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi Larry,

I'm so glad I didn't miss this! I like your finish. The corn cobs are painted very well. I especially like the folds in her skirt.

I think this may be ready for posting in the gallery. :clap: :clap:
Grace

jaytee
01-23-2008, 10:31 PM
great......... no doubts now :)

Yorky
01-24-2008, 03:41 AM
Looking great Larry - your best yet :clap:

Doug

Brian Barnes
01-24-2008, 04:07 AM
Looks great! No problem with her legs now. Cobs and kernals worked out really well too! :thumbsup:

BrianB

painterbear
01-24-2008, 04:53 AM
Oh, her poor thumb cleaning all those corn cobs.

This looks great, Larry. Your revisions have all added power to the final picture.

Sylvia

lyn lynch
01-24-2008, 07:24 AM
Very nice!! Obviously Peruvian. See the work of Victor Martinez from Peru. He is in California and does scenes like this. Perhaps it's his influence, but I would like to see a bit of pattern in her skirt, or shirt, or something.

Well done!!! Love to see you dedicate more time to your drawing/watercolors.

mgthorvaldsen
01-24-2008, 09:49 AM
:wave: Hi! Larry, this is coming to life with your changes, much more vibrant, Regards, Marianne

dcglovier
01-24-2008, 09:54 AM
This is very nice. I like the value and color contrasts. The impression of bright sun on your subject with shadows behind is excellent. I like this very much.
Doris

Scene Chaser
01-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Larry, very warm and southwestern. Excellent use of texture.
Bill

Lazink
01-24-2008, 11:12 PM
thank you all I really enjoyed doing this one. thanks for the great comments. I'll enter this in the next area art show probably in august.

hpthecat
01-26-2008, 10:23 AM
BRAVO! I finally made it back.

This is great, you gave this absolutely everything it needed. I knew you had a winner here. I didn't know what advice to give you, but I instinctively knew you had a winner! Will you put it in any shows?

Lazink
01-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Maryann
yes I'll enter this in the next spring art show. It will probably be around april. Now i have to start on the second entry. I can enter two per show. whats next. hmmm