PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher Jan. 21 - Jan. 27

Pat Isaac
01-21-2008, 08:20 AM
Good morning everyone,

Very cold here this morning, but it is sunny. Yay....the Patriots won!!
I hauled out my puzzle board yesterday and my new 1500 piece puzzle. I like to do puzzles on late winter afternoons, so no this one is started and set up so I can pick away at it now and then.
I'm off to the studio today to do lots of work as I'm not sure how the week is going.
So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

LJW
01-21-2008, 11:05 AM
It's colder here today, too, and somewhat sunny. I need to go sit in the window and soak some up. I used to do jigsaw puzzles with my Dad - now I mainly do crosswords, with only the occasional on-line jigsaw puzzle, to keep up colour and shape matching skills. They are fun. Jane

Shirl Parker
01-21-2008, 12:47 PM
I like to do jigsaws on the computer.

Shirl

Pat Isaac
01-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Ah, the crosswords...I love to do the big one that is in the sunday paper every week. I, too, have some jigsaw programs on the computer.
We have a large floor to ceiling bay window that overlooks our yard and this is where my puzzle is set up, soaking up the afternoon winter sun.....

Pat

LJW
01-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Sounds wonderful, Pat. Our windows are relatively small, but I can still get enough sun to beat the winter blues. For warmer weather, we have a large screened porch facing south, on the back of house, overlooking the garden. Jane

Pat Isaac
01-21-2008, 05:38 PM
that sounds like an ideal place to be in the summer. Our patio is not screened in, but we enjoy it.

Pat

wabbitt
01-21-2008, 05:40 PM
It was a busy weekend and I had lots of art, as well, so I'm a happy camper. I did a couple new self portraits (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6443821&postcount=20), one in oil pastels and the other in soft pastels. And I did Sketchcrawl #17 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472062) in a local area I've been wanting to visit for 8 years.
It got Mom walking and she was actually feeling good walking back to the car, she had a good pace. She was tired after the walk and laid down but didn't actually get the nap she wanted.

After the two hour walk through the historic district, I did do a bit of gardening in my little patch of front yard, nothing strenuous...just winter pruning of the roses and a little weed whacking of the grass that had grown up through the roses. Then I stood for over 3 hours at the easel doing the self portrait after that. It all felt good yesterday but my back is achy today.

Once I do a puzzle I don't care to do it again. I know some people do...like watching videos/dvd. Mom can't see the point of watching a movie again and again. I got hooked on Sudoku last year on the Bermuda trip...to the exclusion of all the other puzzles I used enjoy...crossword, word find, logic hunts, etc.

Y'alls patio areas sound nice. I want to enclose my patio into a sun room and move my art area in there. Someday maybe.

serenasocean
01-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Hello Everyone :wave:

I've been out of town for several weeks, and I feel like I've missed so much! I hope everyone has been doing well. I was up north in the cold, and now I'm so happy to be back in the warmer south :)

I do like puzzles of any kind. I really like crosswords and logic puzzles. I tend to do them as a way to procrastinate :p

I've been looking around, and I had a question... where do the old stickies go? I tried to look for the November and December OP challenges, but I had no luck. Anybody know where I can find them?

Thanks!

Pat Isaac
01-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Nice to hear from you again. I'd like to be in the warm weather too.
The old stickies are in the oil pastel library. Here is a link.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=394

Pat

LJW
01-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Hi, Serena. I think you were working on an earlier Monthly Challenge - if it's finished, why not post it in a new separate thread so we can see it. Wish I could be in the warm south, too. Jane

AngelaF
01-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Hi everyone, sorry I got lost again -- last holiday entertaining was followed by a bout with a flu bug, a partial root canal and then a tooth extraction. Still pulling double duty on most chores and transportation as my friend recovers from shoulder surgery -- hopefully I can get my days back in the next two to three weeks. I have started organizing the studio room and really hope to be able to work on the January Oil Pastel Challenge this weekend.

I did stop the organizing today to try to attach some pictures of the redo in my posting here, I spent way too long (hours) trying to resize and compress a file of about 15 photos to post as an attachement here -- but could not get it small enough. Some people have put the pastel stroke paintings in one large grid -- but I don't know how to do that -- can anyone tell me how I could post about fifteen pictures in a sequence so I could share some of my interior decorating that consumed me these last six or seven months?

I did take some pictures today to be ready to post some seasonally appropriate subjects for the February Oil Pastel challenge. I will be sending you a some pictures for your review and approval yet tonight, Pat.

Have missed you all and will really work on getting back here more regularly. Angela

Pat Isaac
01-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Nice to see you hear again, Angela. So sorry you were ill with the flu bug...no fun.
Would love to see your redo. I copied what one person said about putting all the images together. They did it for one of the pastel strokes.
I saved each original image to a folder using your names as the file name, then I changed my view to thumbnail with it four images wide. Using print-screen I was able to paste the screen into photoshop.. crop and post. 15 minutes I promise. It's a treat to see them all.

I don't know if this helps. Someone else did it a different way, but I haven't found that yet. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

Pat

LJW
01-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Angela, sorry to hear about the flu and tooth problems - no fun, that's for sure. I'd love to see your before and after photos. I've never tried to do the 'gallery' type display, so I'm not much help there. Glad to hear you will have some time for painting. Jane

AngelaF
01-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Hi Pat and Jane. Thanks for looking for the post, Pat. I have a low version of photoshop as a trial, but have never used it. I messed around with it and was able to print a contact sheet and then scan it for posting here. I think it will be too small to see very well now, but will try it now. I am attaching a few pictures of the redone great room, before and then after with some trailing miscellaneous images of the redo. The before shows the horrendous clutter that had accumulated:eek: :eek: . The afters show it almost done this past week, just a vent hood and some hardware to do yet. I tried to make a place for everything. No mud room, but that is what the amoire and bench are for now, as well as a new computer/office area -- I am going to be tough with "a place for everything". Am still unpacking things and trying to maintain the motto. Hope you can see it. Thanks for your interest and support.

I also attached a file of separate picture, it took five.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2008/84584-Great_Room_Redo.jpg

AngelaF
01-24-2008, 02:18 PM
I am trying a few more attachements of some of the pictures on the contact sheet. Couldn't get it to work yesterday.

Pat Isaac
01-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks for all the pictures, Angela. Looks as if you did a lot of work and you should be happy with your accomplishments. I put your images in photoshop and enlarged them so I could see them better.

Pat

LJW
01-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Angela, thanks for adding the larger versions. Everything looks great, beautiful floors, new appliances in the kitchen - looks like you added a new pantry cupboard as well. Your faux log treatment looks really cool - great job. I hope you'll show us a picture of your studio, too, when you get it set up. Jane

wabbitt
01-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Great job, Angela, and it's great to hear from you again even though we knew you were busy. Glad you're over the flu & tooth problems. Beautiful house & great improvements.

AngelaF
01-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Thank you Pat, Jane and Julie. I got new appliances -- washer and dryer, refrig, stove and dishwasher. I have a year of no payments and interest to pay off the kitchen appliances. I exceeded my buddget by about 10% myself, but by 25% with the money the first floor installer stole.

Julie, I thought I saw earlier where you had asked about the parrot -- she still is here -- the cage is too the left of the tv -- you can see it in shadows of the first batch of large pictures. She was a rescue -- never had one before -- I wouldn't do it again if I could do it over -- she loves my friend, hates me, my friend loves her -- so as long as she doesn't destroy anything, she is staying as far as I can see. I think she would make a good pet for someone who doesn't have any other pets, but she is a bit much for this household. She does give us a good laugh here and there, though.

I will post the studio, Jane, when it is just a little more oraganized.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Angela

Pat Isaac
01-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Somehow, I missed the larger pictures, but now I saw them. Your whole redo looks wonderful, love that new kitchen. That is a rather large birdcage, but fits well where it is.
It would be nice if you could get your floor money back.

Pat

wabbitt
01-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Yeh, I saw the huge parrot cage in the before picture and spotted it later near the window and removed the question :) The parrot I had was just like that, too. He loved my ex-husband even though I did all the cleaning, bathing, feeding, & vet appts.

I just got back from the art store with 21 new sticks of holbeins :clap: We had crits & grades for our self-portraits this week and teacher is encouraging me to bring in pastels. I think I'll go with oilies over softies.

LJW
01-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Julie, have fun with those new colours. I'm glad the teacher approves your using OPs for your self-portraits. Jane

Pat Isaac
01-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Good for you Julie. I think your OP portraits are coming along great.

Pat