PDA

View Full Version : Hot Glass Artists!

Laura Brito
06-23-2002, 12:41 AM
I am posting your picture here!

Your beads are really neat and interesting! You are on the right track definetly!

Thanks for joining us! I am so happy!

Laura

Carol Saker
06-23-2002, 02:38 AM
I am another Glass Bead maker/collector making a debut on this website. Thanks Laura for the new venue. There are so many talented glass artists out there and I hope they join us here too.
:cat: Carol

paintfool
06-23-2002, 03:07 AM
You're welcome Harold. :) I find this whole art form fascinating! Hope to see everyone posting theirs.

DraigAthar
06-23-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by keiki
It's sort of funny, but I started getting polymer clay for the kids to use and picked it up after they moved out and left me with a few pounds of clay.

Keep creating! I agree, Laura, that younger minds seem to be able to create 3D sculptures with ease. Amy's sculptures seemed to come to life in her hands, even at 10 or 12 years of age.

Heh, Mom I always thought you got us the sculpey because you were tired of finding melted oil-base modeling clay on the car seats. ;)

Do you still have Bumbles, one of my oldest polymer clay sculptures? I think I shed little polymer clay sculptures everywhere as I grew up. :)

Laura and Lluvia, your beads are just incredible, I don't think I could ever work in glass, it's just so far beyond me. I love to look at your stuff, though, so please keep posting!!!

Amy

Mike E etc
06-23-2002, 05:51 PM
Thanks Laura! I have seen more of what I like here in a few minutes than a weeks worth of looking elsewhere. Of the forums I visit this one is right up my ally. I may get so caught up with looking at all the great work here that I may never get any more of my work done. Love the pictures and the chance to interact with other artist whose body of work is in other areas.
Most the work I do at the torch are marbles and some millefiori work. I did take some time a few weeks ago to try my hand at some critter beads. I pulled this one out of my junk box, a crack in a leg or two.
My site has a few links to useful help and suppliers to lampworkers
Mike E, lets see if I got all this right, E

glassandfire (http://www.glassandfire.com/)

artbabe21
06-23-2002, 06:11 PM
Welcome to WC, Mike! Glad you found your way here and know you will enjoy the many forums. Like you I really enjoy being able to actually 'talk' to other artists and share ideas, etc.

Your bead is gorgeous, however your link did not come up. Got an error message, perhaps it's busy.
Cathleen~ :D

Ann*S
06-23-2002, 06:26 PM
I am so thrilled with everything about this site. I've never seen so much information that I want and need in one place. I think the potential for glass interest is phenominal...
Here are a few of my favorite beads...glass people have seen these...

Mike E etc
06-23-2002, 06:37 PM
Well, glad you liked the bead Cathleen, the flower could have been placed better and made better, but I do like the idea. It is made with soft glass.
If my site link does not work just copy and past glassandfire.com into the address bar. WC will be featured on my home page.
Mike, Laura kept this secret too long, E

Modesto
06-23-2002, 06:48 PM
Laura, wow 75 minutes! After 45 minutes I need to step back for awhile. Maybe in time I will be able to hang in there longer and start to achieve your detail.

Laura Brito
06-23-2002, 06:55 PM
artbabe21
My daughter is so special! Today is her Birthday! hehe, but after carrying her I should be the one having the party! She is 20 today! I am so happy with her!

b2beads
hehe Your beads are really wonderful! you have my compliments! We just have been doing it a little longer and like almost anything practice practice and practice! Shoot I even practice in my sleep! hehe

Mike E etc
This is the MOST Wondeful Site! I am SOOOOO Impressed too! That is why I used it for a while before I recommended it, I wanted to get a real feel for it and be a participant in some form to see how it felt. It FEELS so good! Please tell anyone you know to try it out! Before long we might have a glass area!

I am so happy you are all here! I have a little surprsie for everyone, but it will be probably about a week before it is here...I am writing a large article on the studio and tools we use! I already submitted my article on Sunscreen and our Skin for Wetcanvas! I also added pictures which were lacking in my old version of the article! Anyone else who wants to contribute an article should go to the Article Publisher here! It is really fantastic like everything here!

:clap:

Laura Doing the happy dance....

Laura Brito
06-23-2002, 06:57 PM
Harold

Someone just asked me how long was the longest bead I have done, they told me they had taken up to 2 hours! OMG! hehe

75 minutes is about all I can do.

Laura :D

KarenU
06-23-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Laura Brito
....I have a little surprsie for everyone, but it will be probably about a week before it is here...I am writing a large article on the studio and tools we use! ......

Laura....can't wait to see the article!!! I'm so glad you and your friends have found a place here at Wet Canvas!

Modesto
06-23-2002, 08:17 PM
Hello DraigAthar,

I found your work in the "Structured Critiques Form" and was EXTREMELY impressed with your skill and works. I think your "Sleepy Hollow Cemetery" and "Deluge" will end up in a private collection or, museum treasured by all who have the pleasure. If it is not permitted or acceptable here, please e-mail me and give an idea of what you charge for such work?

candygrrl
06-23-2002, 08:53 PM
My first post here too, this is a very cool site! I'm also a beadmaker from the ISGB board. I think this is a great idea and hopefully we will get lots of folks here to explore ideas. Since everyone is posting pictures of work, my contribution (hopefully) is below.

Lluvia, on your tiny frogs, what method do you use? I ask because I have corina's booklet, but I am having a hard time using really thin stringer as she recommends. Tomorrow I'm going to try all the parts using same size stringer and see if that works better for me.

Nice to meet everyone and I look forward to discussions of great uncensored madness :D

Candace

Nonie
06-23-2002, 11:02 PM
Love it LLuvia! What a lovely setup you and your family have going for you. You are fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

generationsglass
06-24-2002, 08:44 AM
Well I finally got around to posting here after checking out a lot of the other threads. This is a great ART group! Thans Laura for turning us onto this one!

This is my first post here and wanted to tell a little about myself. I've been working with boro for about 3.5 yrs. Just recently started playing with soft glass and beads. I've made a few mandrel made beads but mainly make tube blown beads out of boro. I mainly make pipes to pay the bills and pay for my addiction to glass lampworking so I can experiment and all. Here is a pic of one of my tube blown beads(I have also been trying to find one of my goblet pics to post but they seem to be lost somewhere in cyberspace).

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/generationsglass/RBDichroBead.jpg

Not sure if it is showing up as a pic or not?!?

Mike E etc
06-24-2002, 11:06 AM
Kristian, your going to have to start a new thread with a brief description as to how to make the insideout bead. I like the design, it works well as a bead.
Here is the image of Kristian's bead.
Mike, in a rush, E

Laura Brito
06-24-2002, 02:58 PM
Kristian,

You should go to the article publisher and write an article for us here! It would be wonderful! You can use pictures and everything! It would be really great to have other articles besides my own <grin> (mine should be published soon here!)

Thanks for joining us! It is wonderful to see you here!

Mike E etc....you could write a nice article too! (hint hint hint! hehe)

Laura

james.bishop
06-24-2002, 03:52 PM
What an explosion of colour... of glass beads... and of new WC members! :eek: :p

Welcome to WetCanvas! all of you!! :D Very glad to have you on board!

Keep on posting! Your beads, and your photos, are gorgerous :)

-James

Laura Brito
06-24-2002, 06:32 PM
Thank you for the nice welcome James! We are truely happy to be here, it feels like home already!

Laura:clap:

Modesto
06-25-2002, 06:53 AM
Hello James,

Yes, thank you very much!
Careful, it's addictive:}

generationsglass
06-25-2002, 09:23 AM
Thanks Mike for posting that Pic.

Mike and Laura, I would be glad to do that! I'm working on some I/O beads next week and will try to get some pics of the process(finally got a decent digi cam) while I'm doing them.

craftylady
06-25-2002, 11:04 AM
Ok this might be a dumb question but can someone tell me what glass you can use with a hothead? I use morretti. The store I purchase from has maybe 20 colors. So I don't really know what is out there. Like I have heard people say bullseye, Pyrex, Boro and Czech? Please help not sure what can and cant be used. Ok I have glasses just not sure what kind I do have it all came in a kit I bought. Was told the glasses will work for this type torch. I guess I should have asked more questions. But I was new did not know to ask questions. Hind sight is 20/20.... Thanks Laurie

generationsglass
06-25-2002, 11:21 AM
Really the only glass you can't use with a hothead is borosilicate(pyrex, schott/duran, kimble, simax, etc.) You should be able to use pretty much all softglass, soda lime and leaded. Leaded softglass may cause problems with reducing though.

More than likely the glasses that came with your kit are dydimiums. They are basically just for eliminating the soda flare that comes off of the glass when it is worked in the flame. You should check out www.auralens.com for more information on safety glasses and which type of glass you can safely work with each.

Frantz Art Glass has a great selection of Morretti(Mike Frantz is the largest importer of Morretti in the US). Their address is www.frantzbead.com.

BlackDotMags
06-25-2002, 12:11 PM
Hey, James...
Just wanted to thank you so very much for your sig line. Now you've got me singing the "Lumberjack Song" all day! LOL!!

Hehehe,
Mags :)

BlackDotMags
06-25-2002, 12:33 PM
Hey, James...
Just wanted to thank you so very much for your sig line. Now you've got me singing the "Lumberjack Song" all day! LOL!!

Hehehe,

james.bishop
06-25-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by BlackDotMags
Hey, James...

Hehehe,
:p :D hee hee :D :p ".... leaping from tree to tree, as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia..."

Did I mention I grew up in British Columbia? True! :D

-James

Ann*S
06-25-2002, 05:04 PM
Are we all walking around saying we really wanted to be lumberjacks!!??

b2beads
06-25-2002, 06:42 PM
I could repeat my post about finding myself torching and singing some geeky song like "It's a small world after all" or "she'll be coming 'round the mountain when she comes" and then everyone will be stuck with THOSE stupid songs in their heads. Heh, heh, heh. B2

Modesto
06-26-2002, 12:13 AM
Work in progress...maybe some will enjoy seeing the newbie learning.} Does anyone have experience with blowing small xmas balls like this? I'm having problems with determing the amount of glass to add to my gather so that I will end up with less overlaping after blowing.

Tks B2, and the edit button is very KEWL.

b2beads
06-26-2002, 12:27 AM
Hey, looks great Harold! I'd really like to try some small blown beads sometime - so much to try, so little time... B2

mlou
06-26-2002, 01:55 AM
Hello Everyone! I followed Laura"s magic thread and I have to say WOW! This board has such personality....I think I will stay.

I am Mary Lou and a self-taught newbie, making beads and a little fusing for exactly one year! All the work I see is really grand, I hope I can add something to the community but am soo glad to find an easy going place with like minds.

That's all for now, I wanted to get the first nerve-racking post out of the way:)

Mary Lou

Carol Saker
06-26-2002, 02:23 AM
Nice to see all of the glass folks here - this is exciting. I haven't torched in awhile, but here are some of my favorite beginner beads.

karenjh
06-26-2002, 10:03 AM
Both you and your daughter make beautiful glass beads. I don't make them, but love buying them! I paint and draw though. Saw this thread and because I love them so much thought I'd take a look. I am very impressed with your work. I have been to NUMEROUS juried art shows and I don't think anything I have seen at these places (or at the good artsy type stores) are as cool as what you two have done.

orchidlover6
06-26-2002, 11:33 AM
laura - just discovered this thread.
I am in awe of your glasswork.
It's brilliant :clap: :clap:

AriadneArts
06-26-2002, 06:23 PM
OMG WHERE HAVE I BEEN? I've only looked through three pages and had to post some comments.

FIRST: Welcome all of you glass artists!

SECOND: I'm AFRAID of you folks. :D I'm afraid because I become sooooo fascinated when I see this process. This is terrible, I can't remember his name, but I've seen a few films of him at work -- he does Venetian techniques, large pieces and he wears an eye patch. He's marvelous!

I'm afraid because I feel in grave danger of being drawn in to your web (pardon the pun) and suddenly finding myself with torch in hand, attempting to fabricate a bead or something! :D Oh, I'm sure I'd be lost then. So little time, so much to explore. I'm soooooo happy you've joined WC and look forward to seeing more of your beautiful work, Laura and LLuvia and the rest of you.

Pardon me, now, while I return to the beginning of this thread to read it through (thoroughly). :D

ORCHID! THE GLASS TEMPTRESSES ARE HEEEERE!

KarenU
06-26-2002, 06:28 PM
Eileen....first...that would be Dale Chihuly...one of my all time favorite glass artists!!!!

Second...I too am fascinated with this...do ya think with a little tinkering on our jewelry torches we could give it a try!!?!??! :D :evil:

AriadneArts
06-26-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by KarenU
Eileen....first...that would be Dale Chihuly...one of my all time favorite glass artists!!!!

Second...I too am fascinated with this...do ya think with a little tinkering on our jewelry torches we could give it a try!!?!??! :D :evil:

Girl, you have read my mind! :D

AriadneArts
06-26-2002, 06:55 PM
Karen, thanks for the name. Yes, Dale Chihuly. Marvelous artist!

WE'VE BEEN INVADED! This is the kind of invasion everyone should have--a beautiful invasion of friendly artists, passionate about their art and full to the brim with exploding creativity! MORE, MORE.......:D :clap: :clap: :clap:

b2beads
06-26-2002, 08:25 PM
You guys are TOO funny :D Yes, you should fear for your lives - this is HIGHLY addicting. I just started in January of this year and I can't remember life BEFORE I had a torch & oxygen concentrator in my "kitchen" (only thing I can cook is glass...), and tanks of propane outside the window.

I'm certainly not the torch expert - I'm sure others will chime in - but you don't want to use anything that uses acetylene. Propane, MAPP or Propylene torches are best. If you've got an O2 & propane setup, you're on the right path! There are some torches that don't require O2, but they are made specifically to pull in their own O2 so they burn hotter. There's a torch called the Hothead, which is what I started on, and it's very easy to get setup and going. I highly recommend this addiction to anyone!!!

Here's a pendant I made a few months ago. The larger bead is a hollow bead and both are made of transparent amethyst with stringer decoration using the Evil Devitrifying Purple.

B2

candygrrl
06-26-2002, 08:36 PM
Hey Beth,

Where did ya get that chain your pendant is on? I've been looking for a wholesale source of chains that would look good with my pendants, but it seems like I could get better prices than what Rio Grande has... Anyone else can chime in if they have a source as well! :D

Candace

b2beads
06-26-2002, 08:42 PM
Candace - you'll have to check with John Olsen - it came with one of his wonderful inside-out beads I won on eBay. It's the type that you can actually slide a single bead over. I know someone listed the source on ISGB once, but I can't remember it - it wasn't Rio Grande. If I think of it/find it, I'll let you know.

B2

KarenU
06-26-2002, 08:44 PM
Thanks Eileen for getting me started on this tangent!!! Not that you fabulous glass bead artists didn't have something to do with it as well!! :D

Okay I have a torch called "The Little Torch" by Smith Equipment. It's a Propane/O2 setup. Here is a pic of the box:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2002/LittleTorch.jpg

My question is....can I use this torch to make beads, or do I need some other kind of equipment. It does say on the box that it softens or melts metals, glass and even ceramics. It also says it makes a thread thin flame up to 6300 degrees. I have only used this torch for soldering in my jewelry work. What do you all think?

Also, for annealing the beads, what specifically do you all use? Is a kiln required?

BlackDotMags
06-26-2002, 09:04 PM
Hi, Karen!
Sorry, the "Little Torch" is waaay too small for beadmaking. I have one of these torches for soldering, too, but my torch for glass work is a surface mix torch (the oxy & propane are mixed on the torch's surface, rather than inside the torch tip) with a 3/4" diameter flame that comes out. There are lots of torches available that are made for glass work. If ya want, I can point you in the direction of some manufacturers or suppliers. :)

Yes, we do use a kiln for annealing, as most soft glasses need temps of around 950-1000 Fahrenheit to remove the thermal stresses in the glass from our working it.

(thinking of how she loves that wee little Smith torchie) :cat:

b2beads
06-26-2002, 09:04 PM
Hi Karen - I have a feeling the pinpoint flame may be too narrow - but I'm guessing. The fuel and the temp are right. Whatever torch you use will need to be secured to the work surface, as you'll need both hands - one for the "mandrel" and one for the glass rods.

There are several online tutorials on glass beadmaking - if I can remember them, I'll post them.

For annealing, yes, ultimately you need a kiln/bead annealer. You can easily find a table top one that runs on 110. You can temporarily "anneal" small beads in a ceramic fiber blanket or in vermiculite. But, they still cool down too fast that way to really be considered annealed. However, you can "batch" anneal beads if necessary - even a local stained glass shop may also teach/supply lampwork (a.k.a. glass beadmaking) and have a kiln that you could use on site to batch anneal.

I'll see what other info I can dig up and post links later. Others will chime in, I'm sure. There's nothing a lampworker likes more than explaining what they do - unless, of course, it's showing off our work...

That little torch looks exactly like what I need for my chainmaking interest...

B2 (Who believes you can never have too many tools...)

b2beads
06-26-2002, 09:07 PM
Mags - I wanna grow up to be you someday! She torches, she solders, she sandblasts, she leaps tall buildings in a single bound (with kids in tow...) If only I could be so organized (read: less of a chronic procrastinator...) :cat: B2:D

PS - For some great color inspiration, check out the "encaustic postcard" thread and the "pastel vs. crayon" thread also on this forum. Great colors - and I want to make beads reflective of that abstract owl...

BlackDotMags
06-26-2002, 09:35 PM
Hi, Beth! :)

Listen, hon, I can't agree with your use of the term "anneal" when referrig to fiber blankets or vermiculite. All these do is to slow down a bit the rate of cooling of the glass, so it's less likely to break immediately from thermal shock.

Karen, true "annealing" is acheived by holding the glass at a temperature range that allows the molecules in the glass to reorganize themselves into their most stable structure, without being so hot as to cause the glass to liquify and distort. When we melt glass and the air is rapidly cooling it into a bead shape, it's molecules don't have a chance to become a crystalline-like latticework. Think of them as being "frozen" too quickly to adjust themselves well. While it may look like it has no defects, the glass is actually full of microscopic stress cracks, just waiting to eventually crack some more, until our eyes finally see it (or the piece splits in two!).

The annealing process removes these inherent structural stresses in the piece, and when done correctly by slowly cooling the glass back to room temperature, assures that it remains stress-free as it cools down.

I know some people use the vermifulite or ceramic blankets to cool their work, and then anneal a whole batch of beads all at once. Personally, I'm of the mindset that beads ought to be put into a hot kiln right as they come off the torch. I believe it's less stressful to the pieces, and there's less risk that all your hard work spent making a bead will be lost to rapid-cooling breakage.

When I started making beads several years ago, I went the cheap ceramic blanket route, and lost many (most!) of my beads. It was so sad. I hate to see that happen to anyone else. :(

My $.02 worth,

BlackDotMags
06-26-2002, 09:40 PM
ROTFLMAO!! OMG, Beth, you think I'm ~organized~?!? NOT!!! :p

I saw the kewl "encaustic postcard" thread...what awesome stuff! I have no idea what that is, but I wish I could get my glass to look like that when it's done!

Hopefully tomorrow my mondo new torch will be here. Woohoo!Then watch-out, world...I'ma gonna make 5 lb. beads!! LOL!

AriadneArts
06-26-2002, 09:43 PM
Thanks Eileen for getting me started on this tangent!!! Not that you fabulous glass bead artists didn't have something to do with it as well!! :D

Okay I have a torch called "The Little Torch" by Smith Equipment. It's a Propane/O2 setup. Here is a pic of the box:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2002/LittleTorch.jpg

Karen, I have the very same torch. WoooooHooooo! We're off and running. :D

AriadneArts
06-26-2002, 09:49 PM
Karen, I just read through, after excitedly posting my prior response to you. Okay, looks like a different torch setup and a kiln......hmmmmmmmmmm. Lemme figure out how I can hide THESE from my husband. :D

Ann*S
06-26-2002, 09:50 PM
Beth....
Great pendant..I like it A LOT!!
True this is a terrible addiction. I don't know of anyone who has ever tried to make a bead who has not become hopelessly afflicted.
Does anyone have time to actually cook anymore? I may have to join flylady.com...scary.
My new hollow...not perfectly round but very close.
ann

AriadneArts
06-26-2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Ann*S
Beth....

My new hollow...not perfectly round but very close.
ann

Only too gorgeous, AnnS!

AriadneArts
06-26-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by b2beads
Mags - I wanna grow up to be you someday! She torches, she solders, she sandblasts, she leaps tall buildings in a single bound (with kids in tow...) If only I could be so organized (read: less of a chronic procrastinator...) :cat: B2:D

PS - For some great color inspiration, check out the "encaustic postcard" thread and the "pastel vs. crayon" thread also on this forum. Great colors - and I want to make beads reflective of that abstract owl...

You may also want to check out the Online Pastels Postcard Project thread in the Pastel Forum. Especially the oil pastel work if you're looking for intense color.

BTW your pendant is gorgeous.

AriadneArts
06-26-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Harold
Work in progress...maybe some will enjoy seeing the newbie learning.} Does anyone have experience with blowing small xmas balls like this? I'm having problems with determing the amount of glass to add to my gather so that I will end up with less overlaping after blowing.

Harold, the Christmas ball looks gorgeous.

Mike E etc
06-26-2002, 09:56 PM
Second...I too am fascinated with this...do ya think with a little tinkering on our jewelry torches we could give it a try!!?!??!
Keep those tiny torches ready, They come in handy when assembling tiny lampworked components together for encasement in paperweights and other artglass items.
Mike, tacking it together, E

AriadneArts
06-26-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Carol Saker
Nice to see all of the glass folks here - this is exciting. I haven't torched in awhile, but here are some of my favorite beginner beads.

Beautiful work!

AriadneArts
06-26-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by candygrrl
Here's another example of my beady work, heh!

I love these beads, Candygrrl.

AriadneArts
06-26-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Mike E etc

Here is the image of Kristian's bead.
Mike, in a rush, E

Marvelous bead, Kristian.

AriadneArts
06-26-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Lara
Hi all, here from ISGB forum. Laura, thanks for mentioning this wonderful site. All your beads have been so wonderful.

I'm going to try to post a picture, have been having problems with this, have tried at least 3 times.

Be nice.

Lara

Beautiful bead, Lara.

AriadneArts
06-26-2002, 10:06 PM
Here is a picture of a bead that my daughter made last week, her work is just fabulous! She really gets great coloring in her beads and they are so special (even if I wasn't her Mom I would say that hehe)

There is a big community and I am hoping they will start participating here with our art as well!

Thanks! for the welcome!

Laura

Laura, both your daughter's work and yours are awesome! Can't wait to see more. :clap:

Ann*S
06-26-2002, 10:07 PM
Mags,
you really do seem organized...Unlike me...I do have my doubts about you since we all have the same birthday(how could you be!?). You put on a VERY good show of being all together. I have to go see the encaustic postcard thread...something i've always wanted to do(encaustic). I do own one large one of Michael Barringer's.
Oh Harold...love the Christmas ball ....I want to do that too! Not enough time in the day!
ann

b2beads
06-26-2002, 10:15 PM
Mags - you are absolutely right. I put "anneal" in quotes for that exact reason - but didn't want to do information overload...OK, I was really just being imprecise & lazy...:eek:

But that does raise a question. If you look on Lucio Bubacco's site it says "His large free standing sculpture, worked hot and annealed during the process, is unique in lampworking made from flexible Murano soda glass canes, not less-breakable Pyrex."

(Link: http://www.luciobubacco.com/curriculum.asp)

Of course, the topic (or some may call it oxymoron) of "flame annealing" has been much debated on ISGB. Granted, the way most of us (OK, at least ME) "flame anneal" it's NOT annealing, but I've got to assume true flame annealing is possible if one is skilled enough (a.k.a. lucio bubacco)? How else would he be able to keep those enormous sculpture pieces made out of soft glass from cracking? Does he use his torch to "mimic" an annealing cycle??? When I read that, I really was dying to take his class in Italy and find out. (Also, after seeing some of his work on his site, the beads on Renee's necklace looked like Teletubbies - as far as "explicit" content is concerned... Amazing work, but I'd rather explain what the beads on Renee's necklace were, than to have a 5 year old ask me "what's that swan doing to that lady?")

Well, got a little off topic. Ceramic fiber blankets or vermiculite are used to prevent cracking until you can properly anneal your beads - in a kiln. :D

B2

b2beads
06-26-2002, 10:25 PM
Oh, geez Ann - I forgot! All three of us have the same b'day. Phhhht - no way are EITHER of you organized then!!! LOL. We all probably have that trait of "appearing" organized to total strangers...heh, heh.

But, seriously, I think it would be hard to divide up time between kids and torch. (But, heck, kids have been raising themselves for years; go for the torch....JUST KIDDING!!! No "how selfish of YOU to not protect MY kids" comments like the big JT flap...)

Ann, love that hollow. My EDP hollow was made several months ago and I've since "lost" my ability to make hollows...well, at least it FEELS that way.

Now, I need to get OFF the computer and get ON the torch...

B2

BlackDotMags
06-26-2002, 11:04 PM
Beth,
I'm not intimately familiar with Bubacco's work, but as I read the commentary on his site, I didn't see where it said "flame annealed". It just said it was worked hot and annealed in the process (process being the whole thing, from first melt in the torch, to taking it out of a warm kiln?). I just don't know.

I'v heard of the elusive "flame annealing" used to describe a slow, slow cooling of the piece in the flame. I've also heard it used interchangeably with the term "flame polishing", which as you know, just means the whole piece is evenly heated before popping it into the kiln.

I can tell you that I watched Doug Remschneider make a wonderful goblet/sculpture out of Effetre, that stood about 7-8" high, and had lots of appendages and add-on parts. When it didn't break during the couple hours he worked on it, I was astonished, and asked him what the secret was. He told me that my beads would break if allowed them to cool to room temp because of the COE of the steel mandrel, but that glass alone could be manipulated to be quite stable until it could be properly kiln-annealed.

Also that day, he blew out a little amphora with thin curlicued handles, which he gave to me right off the steel blow tube. It happily lived in my purse for a few weeks, until I remembered I needed to anneal it.

Glass is so kewl. :)

Mags

b2beads
06-26-2002, 11:44 PM
OK, if glass is more stable OFF the mandrel (which I can believe), then why do the ends of my complex twisties "pop" and blow apart after I set them down? The ends are generally not a LOT bigger than a regular rod (but somewhat). Now, when I use a pyrex punty, that makes sense - different COE... I guess it's just a matter of cooling too fast. When Doug worked with multiple components, did he keep them warm inbetween creation and use? Like on a hot plate or anything? Did he cool the pieces slower than they would otherwise cool at room temp?

I may have interpreted the comment about Lucio's work wrong, but I took it to mean in the CREATION process, not annealed as a final separate step. I guess I made that assumption because that comment would not show the uniqueness of his work if he simply worked hot, then put it in the kiln to anneal - it would sort of be an "obvious" point.

Maybe I'll do a little research and see what I can find out - could require a trip to Italy... B2

Ann*S
06-26-2002, 11:53 PM
I believe someone mentioned in a thread that he(Bubacco) doesn't kiln anneal....I'll see if I can find it.
ann

Ann*S
06-27-2002, 12:05 AM
Hi guys...
I don't know if I can cut and copy on here..but it's from Deb and Mike Crowley's post
Re: Flameworking conference
mike and deb crowley <[email protected]> -- Monday, 7 January 2002, at 1:17 a.m.

O yeh and he makes all this stuff without it going into an annealer for days it will blow your mind.
He must be amazing!
Ann

AriadneArts
06-27-2002, 12:10 AM
Thanks, MikeE.

AriadneArts
06-27-2002, 12:14 AM

Keep those tiny torches ready, They come in handy when assembling tiny lampworked components together for encasement in paperweights and other artglass items.

Sorry, MikeE. Here's the context for the prior post.

Thx again.

Laura Brito
06-27-2002, 01:33 AM
Ann*s - Does anyone have time to actually cook anymore

Cook glass you mean! I can find time for that! hehe

Laura

Kimberly Affleck
06-27-2002, 04:46 AM
Laura, Thanks for turning us on to this forum! I am posting for the first time and will try to attach a photo (I'm am very computer challenged). I have been making beads for four years and have a 17 year old son who is also a lampworker. I work in soft glass primarily, while my son is working in boro. This has been a wonderful thread with all of the photos! I hope my bead measures up. I will apologize for the photo now. I am just learning my digital camera and have a long way to go!

Mike E etc
06-27-2002, 07:14 AM
I hope my bead measures up. I will apologize for the photo now.
Hi Kimberly,
The bead is very nice indeed! I will trade you my $100.00 intel vid cam. Your photo looks good. A little tweaking of the lighting and they will be great too. WC is cool, come back soon. There is a photography section I have not even gotten to yet, to my shame.
Mike E

Laura Brito
06-27-2002, 08:45 AM
Oh Kimberly! Yummy bead, you sound like me and my daughter here! She is 20 now and has been doing this since 13! She does such amazing work too! she is Blue_rain_glass on ebay. That frog bead I posted of hers was bought real fast by someone who saw the picture heheh, lucky person! I knew it wouldn't last, I have been trying to nab one for a while and they just get nabbed....hehe

Laura

Ann*S
06-27-2002, 09:41 AM
Kimberly,
Wonderful, wonderful bead! Love it...
Welcome...
This place has so many interesting things .....interesting, so interesting.
ann

BlackDotMags
06-27-2002, 10:02 AM
Hi, Kim! Glad to see you here!!

I love the colors in that bead. It reminds me of the effect from those oily easter egg paints that float on top of water. You dunk it in, and bring up a beautiful swirly- colored egg. :)

Mag :)

Lara
06-27-2002, 10:17 AM
Hi Kim, nice to "see" you here.

Lara

KarenU
06-27-2002, 11:10 AM
blackdotmags and b2beads.....thanks so much for the info on the Little Torch, and all the other processes in general.....actually I'm breathing a sigh of relief to know that I don't immediately have the ability to get up and running with this!!! :D I have so many projects on the burners right now!!

I think what I'll do is look for a good beginners class in my area and try that first!

Thanks again!

craftylady
06-27-2002, 11:15 AM
Welcome Kim The bead looks great. Love to see more.

AriadneArts
06-27-2002, 11:33 AM
I'm breathing a sigh of relief to know that I don't immediately have the ability to get up and running with this!!! :D I have so many projects on the burners right now!!

Thanks again!

Me too, Karen! Whew! Reason I didn't see this thread right away is I've been sooooo busy in the Photo Forum. Trying to learn everything about my new Nikon 995 in one day--you know how it is. :D BTW, I received a Photography Merit Badge yesterday. Guess I'm making SOME progress. ;)

AriadneArts
06-27-2002, 11:37 AM

There is a photography section I have not even gotten to yet, to my shame.
Mike E

I recommend the photography forum. There's an excellent, friendly group of photographers who are very willing to help. Also some beautiful work over there.

KarenU
06-27-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by AriadneArts
....BTW, I received a Photography Merit Badge yesterday. Guess I'm making SOME progress. ;)

Sheesh girl!!!! You are making ALOT of progress!! Don't ya just love that new camera!!

b2beads
06-27-2002, 02:10 PM
Geez, this WetCanvas thing already has me dragging out my pastels again, pulling out my sketchbook and pencils, finding a good use for my iron (which gets NO use as designed - like my kitchen...) and now my 35mm... Very dangerous.

Keep in mind, photography is a very complimentary/necessary skill for the beadmaker - so it'll all compliment your "future" addiction :D

Beth

Laura Brito
06-27-2002, 02:31 PM
I'm doing pastels! too! Love them!

I'll show you mine if you show me yours hehe!

Laura

AriadneArts
06-27-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by b2beads
Geez, this WetCanvas thing already has me dragging out my pastels again, pulling out my sketchbook and pencils, finding a good use for my iron (which gets NO use as designed - like my kitchen...) and now my 35mm... Very dangerous.

Keep in mind, photography is a very complimentary/necessary skill for the beadmaker - so it'll all compliment your "future" addiction :D

Beth

Beth, EVERYTHING will compliment your "future." :D I recommend the ONLINE PASTELS POSTCARD project to get your feet wet (or wet again) in pastels. Laura Brito has already done one wonderful pastel for that project. Check it out.

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46381

AriadneArts
06-27-2002, 03:00 PM

Sheesh girl!!!! You are making ALOT of progress!! Don't ya just love that new camera!!

Thanks, Karen. And yes I do!

b2beads
06-27-2002, 03:30 PM
I think I will sign up for the pastel postcard project - but I think I want to try oil pastels this time. I'm also participating in the Barcelona project and planning some beads using the Barcelona reference photos as inspiration.

I'm also thinking of a joint glass/other media project. I'm trying to come up with a "theme" and then artists can submit their work based on the theme and glass artists can work straight from the theme or "pair up" with on of the submitted works and do beads/marbles, etc. based on that work.

Still in the thinking stage. Kind of liked Mags "Duality of Man" theme, but thought we could do a "Duality of Woman" one. Or something along the lines of the harley/masculine bead theme. Still thinking.

Beth

Modesto
06-28-2002, 06:31 AM
Thanks B2, Eileen, and Ann*S but, it's not ready for the tree yet:(

RE:"so much to try, so little time... B2"

It's my biggest hurdle too:eek:
I love your pendant!

Glassy79
06-28-2002, 08:31 AM

Mike is right about that little torch. I have one also. it's great when making very small flowers and fusing them together. The larger torch will just melt them away. Use that torch for the first time with Loren Stump.

Richard

Glassy79
06-28-2002, 08:33 AM

Harold, your doing just fine. I don't see anything at all wrong with that xmas ball. now how you have to do is learn to apply that to your marbles.

Richard

Glassy79
06-28-2002, 08:39 AM
Laura, wow 75 minutes! After 45 minutes I need to step back for awhile. Maybe in time I will be able to hang in there longer and start to achieve your detail.

Harold, I spend anywhere from an hour to 2 1/2 hours at the torch none stop. most of the marbles I make take close to an hour. I have a friend in maine that spends close to 3 hours on some of his marbles. His name is Nick bartlet. I think you may have seen some of his work.
Richard

Glassy79
06-28-2002, 08:40 AM
Thanks B2, Eileen, and Ann*S but, it's not ready for the tree yet:(

RE:"so much to try, so little time... B2"

It's my biggest hurdle too:eek:
I love your pendant!

Harold, but it is ready for a tree. put it on a bad looking tree, and it will look just great.

Richard

Modesto
06-28-2002, 09:02 AM
Hey Richard,

RE:"I don't see anything at all wrong with that xmas ball. "

It is not round, has unwanted ridges, twisted colors not proportionate and the walls are too thin.
Whew, I feel better now!

Kimberly Affleck
06-28-2002, 10:01 AM
Oh Kimberly! Yummy bead, you sound like me and my daughter here! She is 20 now and has been doing this since 13! She does such amazing work too! she is Blue_rain_glass on ebay. That frog bead I posted of hers was bought real fast by someone who saw the picture heheh, lucky person! I knew it wouldn't last, I have been trying to nab one for a while and they just get nabbed....hehe

Laura

Laura, I know exactly what you mean! All of Adrian's best beads go as gifts to his friends or we sell them on Ebay! He doesn't have the name recogition on Ebay yet that he deserves, but I keep telling him that it will come! Here is a photo of some of his beads currently on ebay:

Carol Saker
06-28-2002, 01:46 PM
Eileen, you are a sweetie! Thanks for the compliment on my "newbie beads". :angel:

PS I am the lucky (soon to be) owner of LLuvia's frog bead! Thanks Laura for hooking me up with her! That tab bead you posted is super scrumptious! :D

Elankat
06-28-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by AriadneArts
[B]SECOND: I'm AFRAID of you folks. :D I'm afraid because I become sooooo fascinated when I see this process. This is terrible, I can't remember his name, but I've seen a few films of him at work -- he does Venetian techniques, large pieces and he wears an eye patch. He's marvelous!

He also gives interviews while sitting naked in the bath tub. :eek: Sorry, but I think I have a dissenting opinion on Chihuly. He isnt' marvelous. The glassblowers working under him who actually DO THE BLOWING are marvelous. Don't get me wrong. He's been great for glass with his exhibitions and glass education with Pilchuck. He's also got a great artistic vision. However, he doesn't blow the glass anymore. He hasn't since 1976. He lacks the depth of perception due to his eye injury.

llis
06-28-2002, 08:19 PM
Good evening all,

If you are reading this post, you will notice that it's the last one in this thread. I've closed it so that if anyone has another question or work to show, they can start a new one.

One reason to start a new thread would be to ask a question. Then you can put a title to your new thread that will let folks know what help you are needing or that you have a new glass work to show.

Everyone will want to help you, or tell you what they think about your work and it will be so much easier to find answers to your questions or see those compliments on your work if new threads are started each time new work or new ideas are introduced.

Soon moderators will be assigned to this forum to help you, but until then, please do feel free to get intouch with any moderator if you have a question. We love it that you are here and many of us have tried glass work before and have so many questions.... I know I do. I can't wait to try my hand again. You all have really inspired me... your work is beautiful!