PDA

View Full Version : First Landscape In Pastels

maw-t
01-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi.. I think I see the sky is too bright?? no telling what else... but C & Cs would be greatly appreciated ! Oh 9 x11 senns on canson...

mrking
01-20-2008, 04:41 PM
yeah, the sky blue looks a bit bright when you compare it to the blue in the reflection on the water. The way the clouds and trees frame the sky, my eyes are drawn up there a lot of the time.

Lovely foreground I have to say. Nice.

JohnnyRed
01-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Yes, the sky is too bright. a change of blues should see it off, though. This shouldn't be a big problem.

I do like the shadows on the distant hills :)

I've scrolled down, so the sky isn't seen, and the paths do lead in the eye to the yachts. It is subtle, but thre - nicely done.

I can't interpret the white amongst the left-hand tree, though.

For a first landscape in pastels, it's very good!!

Deborah Secor
01-20-2008, 05:35 PM
T, I live in bright sky country, so don't take my word for it, but I like the bright blue and white, and for my 2 cents, darkening the ground a bit will make it work...

Look at it in grayscale:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2008/23609-t2.jpg

I darkened your ground plane to medium-light:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2008/23609-t.jpg

Now see this version in grayscale:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2008/23609-t3.jpg

It's not a huge jump, but the medium-light of the land plane is what makes the sky look 'right'. The general rules of the four values of daytime landscapes go this way: the light of the sky, the medium-light of the land, the medium-dark of the mountains, and the dark of the trees.

Deborah

Colorix
01-20-2008, 06:16 PM
I love the many soft warm colours in this, it is very pretty! And great for a first landscape. Now, blues 'misbehave' when scanned or photographed, so they may well look way brighter on screen. Did you use a turqoise blue for the patch of sky between the cloud and the pink over the hill? I've recently discovered that it, blue-green/green-blue (turquoise) pops towards the viewer rather aggressively. You may be able to fix it as easily as by changing to a more pure blue blue.

Lovely warmth and atmosphere in you painting. Beautiful crisp foliage!

bchlvr
01-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Perfect colors...beautiful!

maw-t
01-20-2008, 08:19 PM
thanks yall !!.. It was fun to do a landscape :))
.. I got the image from WDE. I reworked a bit.. not sure if it helped .. but I darkend the ground a little and tried to fix the area in tree that was hard to read... also tried to tone sky down a tiny bit. Yall are great to have. Deb That really helps me see.. YOUR grey scale reads alot better! Thanks for the trouble & time!! I will try to get a new pic up tommorrow with the changes..

Donna T
01-20-2008, 08:34 PM
First landscape? You did a really nice job!

Donna

WC Lee
01-20-2008, 08:44 PM
great job with your first landscape :)

maw-t
01-21-2008, 01:22 AM
Well, I did get a pic of changes.. and actually the colors are _very_ close to painting. Is this better.. worse?? It is just practice so please, comments & crits welcome..

amandanator
01-21-2008, 01:30 AM
T, I like both versions! The first version gave me a sense of midday, the second version to me feels more like late afternoon/early evening. Both are beautiful. I really love the clouds in the #2!

Mandy

*Violet*
01-21-2008, 02:06 AM
better !! ... and if this is your practice piece, can't wait to see more of your work !!

Farfallina
01-21-2008, 04:51 AM
I love this - both versions though I really loved the first one. Great depth! Well done!

CJMonty
01-21-2008, 05:27 AM
I really like both of them, well done.

Keep Dusty
Love Carolynn :):):heart::heart:

Geoff
01-21-2008, 05:34 AM
A 'dreamy' piece - for a first landscape - wow....