PDA

View Full Version : poppyseed oil medium

hblenkle
06-21-2002, 11:06 AM
has anyone used grumbacher's poppyseed oil medium? it attracted my attention at the art supply store, because it is crystal clear with no color at all. is cracking a concern with poppyseed oil medium? don't some light colored paints from various paint companies use poppyseed oil? in the jerry's catalog the blockx ad states "All of the 84 colors are made from the purest pigments and poppy seed oil."
it just seems like a nice idea to use clear additives in oil painting and let the pigment do all the coloring. i don't know if the little dab of medium usually used makes that much difference if it is pale yellow or brown.

Einion
06-22-2002, 05:45 AM
Poppy is widely regarded as the poorest of the "big three" drying oils. Most sources indicate that it is most prone to wrinkling and subsequent cracking and it is a slow drier too. Its colour (or lack of it) when liquid is no indicator of how it might yellow over time, linseed and walnut are both apparently superior in this regard too.

Einion

cobalt fingers
06-22-2002, 02:14 PM
I'd like to hear more about the oils with some sources mentioned. I understand they each have problems.

Scott Methvin
06-22-2002, 07:00 PM
Poppyseed oil is the oil that most gives a "buttery" quality to oil paint. This is highly desired by some painters. Personally, I could care less.

Of the big three (as Enion says) it dries the slowest and ages the least plastic. Walnut 's better and good linseed is king.

Poppyseed costs the least of the three.

Don't believe all you read about clear, non yellowing oils in paint maker ads. They all yellow. There's much more to it than just yellowing anyways.

hblenkle
06-23-2002, 02:08 PM
well, i guess that sort of convinces me that i should not buy blockx paints. they use poppyseed oil. glad i did not spend all that money to end up having them sit in a drawer.