PDA

View Full Version : sculpy gnome figurine w/butterfly

bluedaisy
01-18-2008, 06:20 PM
I was wanting to do something in sculpey again - so I surfed around and found a gnome I liked. The image was from a description of the history of gnomes, so I really don't know where it came from originally. Anyway, my little guy is about 5 inches tall painted with acrylics. I've shown the armature, sculpey layer,final product, and original picture. Enjoy.:cat:He'll be gracing my garden after several layers of clear coat.

Dueck
01-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Totally sweet. Gnomes are highly hilarious - great fun!

What material are you sculpting with? Plaster of Paris? I hadn't thought to use an aluminum foil skeleton for that... That said, I haven't had de noyv to sculpt nothin' (not enough cuh-ourage).

bluedaisy
01-20-2008, 08:53 PM
I actually used Sculpey. You can buy it nearly anywhere - got mine at Wal-Mart. It can be left out forever without drying out so I can work on a project for a long time without worrying about putting it away. I've always seen armature used in anything over about 1/2inch because sculpey has to be baked in the oven to harden - and anything too thick won't harden. Not to mention armature gives it so much more stability when forming features. I used wire to hold the foil "balls" together and wire for the arms and legs so they were somewhat positionable until I cooked him.:)

draw_thru
01-20-2008, 09:11 PM
He has such charm and personality. You should be mass-producing these things. They're fantastic. I want one!!

Awesome job!

Tayara82
01-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Aw, Bluedaisy, he's really charming. You did an awesome job with the features. Nice work there, really. I'm sure he'll make for a really nifty addition to your garden. Will you be making more of these little guys?

bluedaisy
01-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Hehe, thanks Tayara. I'm thinking about doing more - My Mom is convinced she could "ebay" them for me, and production went faster than I expected. If I do more they will be completely original! It makes me uncomfortable to work from someone else's work - even if I'm not selling it.:rolleyes:

Tayara82
01-21-2008, 06:02 PM
*grins*

Hey, how about pixies and stuff instead of actual gnomes?

bluedaisy
01-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Well, so I spoke without really doing any research. P.S. - my Mom always encourages me to sell what I make - regardless of what it is. They say love is blind.:rolleyes: If I were to pick something to sell gnomes seem easy because they have a following. They are also easier to produce because their appendages are generally stubby not long and graceful. The basis for their faces also is easier to repeat - not as delicate, and they basically have no neck because it's covered by a beard. Then again, I only did one, and I like doing something different every time, and I've been told that people like for an artist to have a theme - something they can identify as "characteristic" of the artist. I am chameleon.:p And I like it that way. I learn a lot of different things.:)

bluemoonstar
01-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Very nice job sculpting & painting! He's very charming.

Sherry F.
01-24-2008, 06:37 AM
I collected the Enesco (tm) gnomes by Rien P. (sorry about the spelling) for a while and your fellow easily has more expression and individuality. I want to lean closer to hear what he is about to say. I love the ears! Excellent job!

digistyle
01-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Its nice to see work that just says "FUN!"