PDA

View Full Version : self-portrait (with beard!) yuk

triumph
01-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi gang! this is another attempt at a portrait and i severely overworked the paper surface with scrubbing out some bad color decisions-hence the beard. also the shadowing on the hand/jaw side is too lame and the jaw appears too big! Here I am beard and all, pretty good likeness after all that! 1/2 sheet Arches. Susie

Deanie Frato
01-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Hi Susie, I don't see a beard, but what I do see is a great face and eyes. I think the hand and paint brush are also wonderful. Keep it up Arches paper can take it.

WC Gipsy
01-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Hey Susie, I like the skin tone. Currently trying a self portrait myself and I look like my liver's packed it in, I'm all yellowish! I like your pose and your eyes. :)

mgthorvaldsen
01-18-2008, 07:44 PM
:wave: HI! Susie, pretty darn good! didn't notice the beard...we are so hard on ourselves sometimes, like that reflective pose with paintbrush. regards, Marianne

Emme2
01-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Okay, Susie, so there are parts you're not crazy about (and no, I don't see
a beard). What about all the cool parts??!!! Love your hand with the brush,
the shadow in your sleeve, your hair, your eyes, and the shirt!

I think you have way more good going on here than not good! And self-
portraits are a bear to do NO matter what you look like or how good your
reference materials might be! So give your self and your self portrait a pat
on the back! Celebrate the good stuff!!
~ Emme

hpthecat
01-20-2008, 11:44 AM
I don't see the "beard" either. If this is a "pretty good likeness"--you are a pretty lady! Bravo!

triumph
01-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Trust me the paper can take no more scrubbing or the dreaded hole will appear!
Thanks for your praises, but if you had it in your hands-the tiny fibers of the paper does indeed look like the also dreaded five-o'clock shadow! So I'll put it on the pile (which grows higher each week) and try to use a lighter hand/color. Where my liver hasn't packed it in yet (workin on it) I wonder what it means to be too pink/purple? It's my favorite shirt and I added the CJ Dreamcatcher brush at the last minute! XXOO for saying I'm pretty!! Susie

mimitabby
01-21-2008, 02:00 PM
I love the way you did your hair. to make the beard recede (I can't see it)
darken up the rest of the face a bit. nice work, keep painting.

jaytee
01-23-2008, 12:06 AM
Love the colours, love the pose.... how about bringing a whisp of hair down between the hand and the large jaw line ??? Or is the paper already too bobbly for that ??

CharM
01-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Ok... first things first...

Take a brown paper lunch bag (or grocery bag) and gently rub the surface of it over the scrubbed surface of your wc paper, using a circular motion. Keep at this until the fuzz has all but disappeared. The brown paper will *sand* off the fuzz and lightly polish your paper surface without disturbing your paint.

Ok...

While your skin tones appear to be a little on the red side, this is really a good portrait!!! I just love the perspective... and your hair... and your Mona Lisa smirk...

For your next portrait... work up your skin tones and colour choices in a little chart BEFORE you begin laying down washes... trust me when I tell you that this exercise, consuming all of 10 minutes of your time, will save untold amounts of frustration!!! :)

I REALLY look forward to your next portrait!!!

WC Gipsy
01-23-2008, 01:14 AM
For your next portrait... work up your skin tones and colour choices in a little chart BEFORE you begin laying down washes... trust me when I tell you that this exercise, consuming all of 10 minutes of your time, will save untold amounts of frustration!

Sensible advice. Please remind me to follow it before I attempt *my* next portrait ;)

Ms. Gee
01-23-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm not a portrait painter so I really appreciate a fine painting like yours. I love the hair, background and eyes. Your brush idea is pretty cool. I'm glad you posted this and I think it's wonderful! Keep going. Try it again if you're not happy with it. We learn something with every painting! :clap: :clap:

Grace

triumph
01-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Char, you are amazing-brown paper bag trick, eh? Skin tone is really red, but as i corrected for that, it became more purple as time went on. Good idea about trials first with color selection. Love to add some of my hair/mane to cover it, but i'm too far gone. Yup, it's a smirk. Thanks to all for more great advice. Susie