PDA

View Full Version : No more lurking! An intro, and a completed work.

stormfin
01-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Hi all,

I have promised myself to stop casually browsing on WetCanvas and get involved in 2008. This is my first post to serve as an introduction and to post a sample of my work. Since I have been working mostly in pastels lately, I think I'll call this part of the forum home for now and get to know some folks.

I've been trying to develop an artistic vision based on nostalgia, Americana, the open road, vintage urban scenes, old cars, that sort of thing. I grew up on Route 66 in Springfield Missouri, and my heart still pines for my childhood days with my Dad and uncle traveling the old roads and avoiding the Interstates. I don't live there anymore, and I've found that my art serves as great way to express all those leftover memories while allowing me to "go back home".

Here's my first serious work in pastel in this subject; it is the last remaining Marsh Rainbow Arch bridge on Route 66, located in Baxter Springs, Kansas:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2008/89996-MarshBridge.jpg

I did this bridge because of a great memory that started there. We were headed into Baxter Springs for an old car swap meet and show, and I lost a fan belt in my 64 Buick Skylark the moment I reached the entry to the bridge. We limped into downtown Baxter Springs and bought a fan belt at some cozy little ma and pa auto parts store, which I put on right there in the street, after we had hamburgers at some little local spot next door. I have tons of memories and stories like that looking for a way out.

Diana_pastels
01-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Stormfin, welcome! Thank you for sharing this painting - it is wonderful. I love the glow of the bridge. Looks like evening when the sun is starting to set with lovely colors flowing onto the bridge. And wonderful stories to go along with it! Terrific!
Diana

Susan Jenkins
01-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Welcome Stormfin,

And way to go on your first post! I remember when all I did was look admiringly at all of the beautiful works of art on here... (probably a couple of years ago). I remember being so nervous about my first post... (which was no where as good as yours!)

What I found is such a warm and welcoming group of friends! I don't know if all of the other forums are the same, but the pastel folk are just some of the greatest people!

I think my greatest learning tool has been.... looking, looking, and more looking at the work of others... and then practice and experimentation. It sounds like your already doing that. And from the looks of it you have got an incredible talent!

You have a great sense of composition in this... and I love your choice of colors for the shadows. Keep painting and I look forward to more gorgeous pieces from you in the future. Oh yea.... and keep painting from your heart... that's where the best works come from!!

:) nice to meet you!
Susan

Geoff
01-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi Randy, welcome to WetCanvas.
I don't normally post in this forum, but often drop by to see how things are going.

I like your colourful palette, it gives the feeling of a very hot sunset with all those warm colours and slightly cool parts of the sky and foliage to set them off.

David Patterson
01-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Wonderful painting Randy! Welcome to the dusty side.

David

maw-t
01-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi & welcome! I am fairly new here also.. I love your painting.. but most especially enjoyed the story behind it. Memories are woderful to paint. Keep it up!!

water girl
01-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Welcome Stormfin! Don't be nervous! The first time I posted, I couldn't figure out how to post a new thread, so I posted my painting in Desiree's thread!!:lol: :lol: :lol:
I can appreciate your nostalgia theme, and I think that your style suits it well. That warm sunshine on the bridge reflects the warm feelings we have for the past. Well done!

IdahoHat
01-18-2008, 01:17 PM
:wave: elcome to the "Softies" and "Dusties", Stormfin. Your work is really interesting and full of strong color. Wonderful. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Colorix
01-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Hi Stormfin, Randy is it? Welcome to the dust-forum. Wow, that is what I call an entrance! Love your colours, that bridge is highly heated iron, it glows! And your story is great, it makes it all so lovely personal. Print out the story and attach it to the back of the painting, or something, it certainly increases the impact.

What size is it? It's on Canson, isn't it? Do you prefer the 'right' side?

Deborah Secor
01-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Nice contrast and use of color, Randy. Love the low light and the dark sky behind it. Very effective and nostalgic, like looking back...

Route 66 is two blocks north of my house, at least the part that goes through New Mexico! I have a friend, Tom, who owns a great burger joint called The 66 Diner (http://www.cart66pf.org/66caravan/roadlog14.htm)! The neon at night is inspiring to me, and I really mean to paint it one of these days.

Welcome to the dust! :D
Deborah

Merethe T
01-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Welcome to the dusty side! Glad to see you found your way over here...

Lovely work! Wonderful colors and contrasts, and I really like the atmosphere in the scene...love the story behind the painting too, I hope we get to see more of your work! :)

Merethe

Orchidacea
01-18-2008, 05:48 PM
I lurked for years, too. Glad you decided to come out of the shadows! Lovely work--looking forward to more.

K Taylor-Green
01-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Randy, this is beautiful and you have definitely captured that nostalgic feel!
Welcome to the Pastels Forum!

arlenebc
01-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Welcome Stormfin! Beautiful work! We share the same goals for our art and WC for 2008. I also posted for the first time this week after much lurking. This is such a wonderful place!

Arlene

fiannah
01-18-2008, 09:06 PM
wow what a great palette, I can feel the warmth of the sun off the bridge, great job and welcome to the forum :) Im also new to this particular forum.

Gail V
01-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Awesome painting! I love the hot colors on the bridge!!! Would love to see more of your work - thanks for sharing!!!!

amandanator
01-19-2008, 12:21 AM
Welcome!

Wonderful painting! I love the colors and the composition. It takes me back to that hot summer I spent in Kansas...I can hear the cicadas buzzing in those trees. :) Can't wait for your next post.

Mandy

Paula Ford
01-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Randy,

Welcome to Wetcanvas!!! I'm so glad you joined us.

I love your story and REALLY look forward to hearing more of them and seeing more of your work! I love your bridge!!!

We are very similar, in that every day I dream of "home" and think about all the memories and see all the pictures in my head of the beautiful places there.

Thanks for joining us!!

Paula

stormfin
01-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks for everybody's kind comments. I'm familiar with the work of most everyone who replied because I've lurked around here long enough to follow posts and look at personal web sites. I promise to return the favor from now on instead of just admiring anonymously.

purpleheather
01-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Dramatic and great colours! Love it!

blessings,
Anne

AliciaS
01-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Beautiful piece!! Welcome! Everyone is so supportive here..it really changed my life!!! I feel like i could go right onto that bridge,,,perspective is great!!We all look forward to seeing more!!!!!!!!!!

rain24
01-20-2008, 01:26 PM
I love your golden tones on the bridge. Great piece here. I'll be looking forward to more of your posts :).

nana b
01-20-2008, 01:30 PM
That's really great work! Welcome!

nana