PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Challenge Brainstorming- Let's Hear Your Ideas!

lisilk
01-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Greetings Fiberholics!

Diana, Pam and I have been mulling over ideas to keep our new forum humming along. We thought it would be fun to have Monthly Challenges. So as not to leave anyone out ( medium wise) they would be themed challenges in ANY Fiber Medium. This is not an exchange or swap just Themed Challenges to get us thinking outside the box.

Quilt it, knit it, embroidery it, mixed medium, fat- inchies, batik, clothes...whatever floats your boat!

We've come up with some themes but we would like your input. Which ones would you like to see? Any fresh ideas?

Here's a few Themed Challenges that we thought up, subject to change. ( Read... you hate them!:eek: :lol: )

"Beat the Winter Blues" Challenge,
"Spring Fling"
"Self Portrait in Fiber"
"Trip to the Zoo"
"The Deep Blue Sea"
"Urban landscapes"
" Wo/Man's Best Friend" (Pets challenge. Show us your pet in fiber OR if you can teach them to knit...that counts too!)
" Recycle it!"
" Summer Sun"

What do you think?

Your Fiber Slaves~

Li, Pam and Diana

beebluefern
01-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Can't wait to hear everyone's ideas!!!! This is going to be fun!!!:thumbsup: :clap:
I'm having just the toughest time trying to teach Argie to knit...just in case we have that pet challenge! (She says she prefers to have a snooze on the floor beside me in the studio-and she'll just oversee the whole knitting process, thank you very much):lol:

Rose Queen
01-15-2008, 09:50 PM
...Pets challenge. Show us your pet in fiber but if you can teach them to knit...that counts too!
And if anybody wants some collie/chow fur to knit or weave from, just let me know -- I've an abundant source! :lol: :lol: :lol:

lisilk
01-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Oh for goodness sakes ladies! If I can teach Zipper ( the coyote/shepard) to do the treadmill with me and Buddy ( the Queensland) to dive in the ocean for his toys........surely you can teach a cat to "knit one, purrrr two!":D

beebluefern
01-15-2008, 10:59 PM
...:lol: :lol: :lol:

photomemory
01-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Knit one, purr two.. hahahaha.. too funny! :) I could contribute some abundant cat fur.. Anyone like orange tabbie fur? LOL. My cat knows how to knock objects from the table into the waste basket lis. It was demonstrating that skill this afternoon. can you say, 'where are my diamond earrings dear???' LOL
How about something with hearts on it? When is the challenge going to be due?? Or how about bunnies for Easter? I would like to make this holiday appropriate myself so it can have dual purposes.

photomemory
01-15-2008, 11:48 PM
that's funny bluefern, "I'm having just the toughest time trying to teach Argie to knit...just in case we have that pet challenge! (She says she prefers to have a snooze on the floor beside me in the studio-and she'll just oversee the whole knitting process, thank you very much)"
But maybe she could do the felting process instead.. that would involved alot of kneading and the cat might be proficient in it! LOL :)

beebluefern
01-16-2008, 12:02 AM
She'd only be interested in helping with the challenge if it meant she'd get something to eat...anything that required work would, of course, have to be deferred to humans and/or cats.:cat:

I like hearts and I like bunnies too!!! :heart: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2008/34609-bunny.jpg

lisilk
01-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi photomemory!

Thanks for the ideas.

I forgot a Valentines and Easter challenge. We will add those to the list! Thanks.:wave:

I think we'll start the first challenge in Feb. since this month is half over so get out the red velvet and hearts! And do post whatever kitty felts!

We X-posted Pam! I'll hide all the yard bunnies while kiity id doing her projects!

Li

Rose Queen
01-16-2008, 01:16 AM
...When is the challenge going to be due?? Or how about bunnies for Easter?
I don't know that we've completely scoped this out, but I would think the month's challenges would be due at the end of the month in question. We may publish the next six months' worth or year's worth of topics in advance, but we're gonna need some more ideas, people!!!

Sher
01-16-2008, 01:49 AM
I love the idea of self portrait! That would be so much fun. :clap:
I wonder if I could afford enough stuffing? :D

How about: My heart belongs to.........?

:wave:
Sher

beachwalker
01-16-2008, 08:41 AM
I think it's a great idea, but I would like to see more themes that are not quite so specific as to subject matter. For example, I have started a knitting project that would only loosely fall into one of the above categories but could follow a theme such as "Experimental Model" (original design, prototype) or maybe "Travelin' On" or "Outward Bound" (places to see or things to take on a trip).

I think a regular monthly S&T is good, too, especially for those who want to share their WIP's or FO's but don't have the time for a special monthly theme challenge.

gkskid
01-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Okay, I've looked and looked and looked over the list - and they haven't inspired me yet. I just finished up a project for a very good friend - a baby hat inspired by our shared adventures in NYC. So, since the inspiration was a taxi, I'd put it in one of Cindy's categories.

Mom said to me recently she's like to see me do something musical, and that got me thinking. I've been sketching out several different designs and don't know which one I'm going to do. If anyone has any ideas on doing decreases in a seed stich pattern without it looking like heck - I'd be happy to hear them.

beachwalker
01-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Mom said to me recently she's like to see me do something musical, and that got me thinking. I've been sketching out several different designs and don't know which one I'm going to do.

How about "Let's Make Music" or "It's Music to My Ears" for a theme? That would give people lots of leeway (song titles, musical instruments, composers, for example).

beebluefern
01-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Great idea!!

gkskid....I think I have some instruction on that in one of my ref books at home. I'll look it up for you and let you know if I do.

gkskid
01-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Wow - and I can't even take credit for my idea. Thanks, Mom! :wink2:

You really think there's a decent way to decrease a seed stitch pattern? I've been playing around with it in my mind (regular seed stitch - a 2 by 2 seed stitch) and haven't struck gold on anything yet and I was thinking that seed stitch would be the way I wanted to go for look, how it hangs, and lack of curl.

See, this is just one of the many problems you run into when you mostly knit by the seat of your pants and don't have any reference books. I think it would be better if I was a more experienced knitter?

for other idea, I like "Beyond the Sea" better than "Deep Blue Sea" as it just seems to open it up.

Most of my ideas come from wht I see around me, and since I am sitting at my desk alternating between this and a spreadsheet full of numbers, I'm not having good things come to me. I'm just stuck on colors since there are none in my gray cube.

"It Ain't Easy Being Green" could be fun - to quote Kermit the Frog. It could be color, landscape, eco-friendly materials....

Ya, I got nothing right now.

beebluefern
01-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Wow - and I can't even take credit for my idea. Thanks, Mom! :wink2:

You really think there's a decent way to decrease a seed stitch pattern? I've been playing around with it in my mind (regular seed stitch - a 2 by 2 seed stitch) and haven't struck gold on anything yet and I was thinking that seed stitch would be the way I wanted to go for look, how it hangs, and lack of curl.

See, this is just one of the many problems you run into when you mostly knit by the seat of your pants and don't have any reference books. I think it would be better if I was a more experienced knitter?

for other idea, I like "Beyond the Sea" better than "Deep Blue Sea" as it just seems to open it up.

Most of my ideas come from wht I see around me, and since I am sitting at my desk alternating between this and a spreadsheet full of numbers, I'm not having good things come to me. I'm just stuck on colors since there are none in my gray cube.

"It Ain't Easy Being Green" could be fun - to quote Kermit the Frog. It could be color, landscape, eco-friendly materials....

Ya, I got nothing right now.

Well, here's a link...until I can delve into my ref books...to some videos on decreasing. I personally like slanting decreases, but not sure about seed stitch decreases. I'm also working on a jacket that has a Moss Stitch pattern so I'll check out the pattern (from Garn Studio) to see what their solution is to decreasing.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/decreases

Anyway, we have lots of knitters in this Forum so you can just ask away and someone will have an answer for you I'm sure!!! Sometimes flying by the seat of one's pants (when knitting that is) is a pretty good and very creative way to go...don't change your ways...the experience you accumulate over the years will definitley be worth a million ref books...and could fill them up as well!

Helen
01-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Since I'm allergic and therefore stay away from animals, these two don't rock my boat even a tiny bit.... Trip to the Zoo" and " Wo/Man's Best Friend" (Pets challenge. Show us your pet in fiber OR if you can teach them to knit...that counts too!) On second thought... would a fish count?

I like "Experimental Model" (original design, prototype) or maybe "Travelin' On" or "Outward Bound" (places to see or things to take on a trip). "Let's Make Music" or "It's Music to My Ears", "Self Portrait in Fiber", " Recycle it!" and as a water lover definately love "The Deep Blue Sea" or "Beyond the Sea" doesn't matter to me which you call it. "Urban landscapes" could be interesting. How about "Bejeweled"

lisilk
01-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Okay_ Thanks for the input Sher, Cindy, Pam, Diana, Helen and gkskid. Great ideas!:clap: Keep 'em coming. I will wait another day or two for more opinions. Then I will start a poll to see where the most interest is. I'm keeping track of all the suggestions!

BTW gkskid- this is not just for knitting. There are some knitters but it's also for people who do other fiber arts so the sky's the limit!

Helen- heck yes fish count! You know I love me fishies!

The first challenge will start Feb 1. The next challenges will be based on poll results with a few seasonal challenges thrown in.:evil:

Keep those ideas coming.
Things rambling around my head today.
Here's a few more:

Dancing the Night Away.
A Mid Summer Nights Dream.
Fantasia- fantasy critters and the worlds they inhabit. ( Fairies, dragons, mermaids, etc.)
Sentimental Journey
A Moveable Feast- things to wet the appetite.
Day of the Dead
Native Spirits- celebrating indigenous peoples and cultures around the world.
Heart of Africa.
Let there be Peace
Unraffle this- start with one thing or one medium, take it apart and finish it with some OTHER fiber craft.
It's in the Stars

Li

beachwalker
01-16-2008, 07:31 PM

And I like "Furry and Feathered Friends" as a substitute for "Trip to the Zoo" and "Wo/Man's Best Friend." I don't have a pet, and I don't visit the zoo often, but I do like animals in general.:D

lisilk
01-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Okay so you gals don't like the way I word things! I was tired!:o :p :lol: They were just to get the ball rolling.:rolleyes:

beebluefern
01-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Those are great ideas Li....Fantasia and Native Spirits...those would be really interesting ones with which to do the creative thing!

beachwalker
01-16-2008, 08:07 PM
. . .and as a water lover definately love "The Deep Blue Sea" or "Beyond the Sea" doesn't matter to me which you call it.

Could be "Water, Water, Everywhere . . . " :)

Li, I like the the dream idea, but suggest "Dreamscapes" to allow for nightmares, too.:evil:

Oh, I just know that this theme thing will be the first thing that wakes me up at 3:00 a.m. My busy brain doesn't shut down for long.:p:rolleyes:

gkskid
01-16-2008, 08:13 PM
BTW gkskid- this is not just for knitting. There are some knitters but it's also for people who do other fiber arts so the sky's the limit!
Li

I know - and I can't wait to see what other people do! Outside of knitting and crochet, the only thing I can think to do with fibers is tying my extra bits of yarn onto my luggage so I know it is mine. :)

Rose Queen
01-16-2008, 08:31 PM
...Oh, I just know that this theme thing will be the first thing that wakes me up at 3:00 a.m. My busy brain doesn't shut down for long.:p:rolleyes:
Good thing this website's always open! :thumbsup:

little dreamer
01-18-2008, 01:00 AM
antiques
flowers
dolls
elements
friends
poetry
boat
cars
hot air balloons
old glass bottles
painting on fabric
favorite painting / your take in fabric
architecture
egg gourd +fabric

beachwalker
01-18-2008, 06:07 AM

A few more color themes . . .

White Stuff (snowflakes, etc. or any item in shades of white/off white)
Citrus Salad (citrus fruits, colors)
Feeling Blue?
Iím Seeing Red!

little dreamer
01-18-2008, 07:04 AM
Aura Borealis
Olympics
sign language
bees
hair
dedication
leather /trees ,lace /snowflakes

beachwalker
01-18-2008, 08:21 AM
'Round and 'Round We Go
Think there must already be enough here for about five years!:cat:

beebluefern
01-18-2008, 08:26 AM
That's a good one Cindy...Round and Round We Go....lots of possibilities for every persuasion of Fiber Artist!

gkskid
01-18-2008, 09:50 AM
bees

I read this as, "beers."

<smacks head>

I guess I'm ready for the weekend!

Rose Queen
01-18-2008, 12:53 PM
I read this as, "beers."
I suppose you could crochet a 'cozy' for your bottle of Heinekens! :lol:

gkskid
01-18-2008, 02:26 PM
beer cozys....? Hm..... Might go great with my tailgate mittens AND I think I've got some leftover Noro yarn from that project!

Rose Queen
01-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Well, then, you're there! :thumbsup: Here's a few patterns, so let's see what you got!
http://yarngear.blogspot.com/2006/08/can-cozy.html
http://www.theknitist.com/knitblog/files/beer_can_cozy.pdf (why anyone would use Peruvian wool for this is a mystery...)
http://www.chroniclebooks.com/Chronicle/excerpt/0811835332-e4.html
http://nirethak.livejournal.com/63813.html (in case you want to felt one)

And for some "inspiration": http://www.craftycrafty.tv/2007/06/pointless_craft_can_cozy_with_1.html

chatfieldstudios
01-18-2008, 03:36 PM
How about:

"Inspired by Poetry"...include the poem or line of a poem with your posting.
"Sent from Above" (weather, outerspace, spiritual symbols)
"Sentimental Journey" (for Valentine's Day...if you don't get into hearts, could be ancestry, a childhood home, toy..etc.)
"Food Fantasies" (anything that has to do with food...chocolate, pizza, veggies, ice cream, fancy desserts)
"Book Report" (inspired by your favorite book)

That's just a few I can think of.....I'll give it some more thought...sounds fun.:wave:

DrDebby
01-18-2008, 09:48 PM
What about...

Over the Rainbow
Cave painting
Snuggles
Chocolate
Market Day
Teddy Bear's Picnic

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Oh, and I like the bees, being partial to them being a beekeeper and all.

lisilk
01-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Oh dear..only 12 months in a year kids!:lol: :lol: :lol: I'll be putting up the biggest poll in WC history this weekend.:eek: We'll take the top 11 but you will not know what order we'll be doing them. That way you over achievers don't do 12 in 2 days! ( You know who you are!!!!!:evil: ) Don't forget, when it's winter in the States it's summer down under so expect some seasonal irregularities.:p

Great ideas!
:clap: :clap:
Li

beebluefern
01-19-2008, 01:19 AM
Can't Wait Li!!!

idesign
01-28-2008, 11:20 AM
here are my ideas
Warm colors
___ Cool colors
___ black &white
___ Out of the box
___ repetition
___ animal-veg-mineral
___ past & present
___ variations
___ big & small
___ recycled & reclaimed
___ spring
___ autumn
___ summer
___ winter
___seasons
hats and headwear
monotone
limited pallet

Maureen Grantham
01-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Great idea, but please no seasonal themes. We are in the middle of a heat wave whilst many members have snow or rain right now. I find it difficult working to a seasonal theme which is in total contrast to what I am experiencing .

Isabelle1
01-28-2008, 03:18 PM
This sounds like fun :clap:

Please disregard if it's been said before. Holiday challenge? Almost every month has one, and we can make up the ones that don't :D

Gotta run, have a class at 5:30 :wave:

lisilk
01-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Sorry I've been sick.

Closing this now to put together a poll.

The challenges will start on the first of each month. Have to come up with a Feb. one now because the Love/ Valentines is already started. Hmmm...where to start.\???

Thanks for all of the input.:thumbsup:

Poll will be up asap, still recovering.:o
:heart:
Li

Sneuart
02-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Has anyone suggested What's Your Sign?
If one is not into astrology, your sign can be more like:

Stop
Danger
Children playing
Crime Scene, Do Not Cross
Beach is open...

I especially like the self-portrait idea.

Thanks for all of the brainstorming.

sec
02-12-2008, 01:05 PM
How about "Found objects"

I recently did some knitting where I cut up some found plastic that had blown into my yard.