PDA

View Full Version : Winter Snow Paintings

dvantuyl
01-15-2008, 01:20 PM
I love painting snow scenes, however, every time I take them to one of my galleries they tell me how hard they are to sell. Then they sell.

The galleries reaction had caused me to be less enthused about painting snow scenes. I wonder if anyone else has had this experience or if it is more regional?

Should I just ignore what the galleries are telling me?

PeggyB
01-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Donna if I understand you correctly the gallery is complaining, but the paintings are sell. If the paintings are selling, why worry about it? Paint what you love, not what sells or you will become a slave to the marketplace, and before you know it you will be bored to tears and not painting anything.

I worked in a gallery for 14 years, and saw this happen to artists. It is a shame when a good painter quits painting because they are so programed to paint what some gallery or galleries tell them what to paint that they becom burned out. Fortunately, the gallery I worked in was not one of those who did that, but we represented a couple of painters that this happened to.

Peggy

PS - and since we are in the same general "region", I think it is more your particular gallery or galleries because well painted snow scenes sold very well in Issaquah.

dvantuyl
01-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Peggy,

Thank you for your reply. I do love winter and found myself being influenced. I will take your advice and paint what I love. Somehow I knew that the galleries were not doing me any favors, but being new to this business I just needed some sage advice.

Donna A
01-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Hi, fellow Donna! That is such great advice from Peggy! She knows so much more than most of us about how galleries operate from the inside with all her experience---along with her understandings and observations serving as the Show Chairman of IAPS for some years, if I'm remembering correctly. And then her voice as an artist, as well.

I think that ANYTHING beautifully painted will inspire a viewer---and I believe that we will always paint more intuitively, more heartfully and beautifully those things that excite us most! And that is why, I suspect, your snow scenes have continually sold when many other artists' snow pieces have not.

Our paintings need to be expressions of our joy, a celebration of the beauty around us, the way we see the world, a sharing of that beauty and our love of our colors, the feel of laying on color, the sense of engineering a composition and so much else---in different proportions for each of us and with different aspects and other qualities that give meaning to our lives and that we can inspire others to appreciate in their own ways, to their own degrees. YES! Paint what you love! Your love will continue to touch others' hearts! Bravo! Donna ;-}

dvantuyl
01-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi Donna, You say things so beautifully. You and Peggy have been very helpful. Right now I am surounded by snow and the sun is out shinning brightly. Usually what is happening at the time is what I find I can paint. The gallery comments were causing me to flinch, or second guess my choices.

Thank you for your words!

chewie
01-15-2008, 04:58 PM
i seen your site and some reallly great work! you do some super snow scenes, not surprised they sell. good for you to keep on with what you want to, peggy said some good stuff for you, and anyone else reading this thread. (count on peggy for that!) and i found it odd that if the scenes are selliing, why would they want you to stop, no matter what they thought?? i have a gallery i had to kinda coax into taking a painting of a longhorn steer--i had such good response from it and won a fairly nice award with it too--but she said 'cows don't sell'. then she said ok, i'll try it for a short time, and within a week it sold! she just chuckled, said 'what did i know?', then 'paint more cows i guess!' they don't always know what will or won't sell either, its all a crap-shoot.

and WELCOME!!!:wave:

Kathryn Wilson
01-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Donna, I can't comprehend why they want to mess with success. Your paintings are beautiful and you should be proud of your sales record - very impressive!

Very nice to see you posting here.

Peiwend
01-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi Donna,

I just looked at your website and your paintings are gorgeous - all of them.

I have the opposite problem. Although living in an area with lots of snow and a seemingly endless winter, I like painting summer scenes with boats and water and they sell well. When I bring a painting in to the gallery the owner looks at it with the "Oh no, not another boat!" look and then says: "You really should do some more snow scenes." By now, I just ignore it, smile, and say: "Someday, when I feel like it."

I think you should just disregard what they say and do what you like.

________________________Wendell

p.s. Here it is dark and cold with another snowstorm on top of the several feet of snow we already have and I am happily painting another warm sunny summer scene with boats and water.

Snowbound
01-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Donna, one more for my list of websites to turn to for my art fix. Your paintings are truly beautiful and your talent way beyond the ordinary. If your galleries are having trouble selling snow scenes, but yours sell, that should tell you something about the artistic merit of your work. Should tell them something too. I should hope to be as good someday.

Dang, I wish I lived where you do! I love that part of the Northwest: that whole area along the east side of the Cascades. And you got the Gorge too. Oh, envy.

Dayle Ann

CJMonty
01-16-2008, 01:13 AM
Donna, I have just been looking through your paintings, they are wonderful. I'd so love to be able to paint this well some day, I enjoy trying but I guess I can dream too. :lol:

Take Care
Lots of Love Carolynn :):):heart::heart::heart:

dvantuyl
01-16-2008, 12:10 PM
You all are so kind. Thank you! :wave: It is nice to hear other artists tell about the experiences they have had with galleries.

People that are not painters try to help out by giving advice. One example is the snow landscapes and another for me comes from my Mom. She thinks I should paint horses and nothing I do is any good until I do.

Right now I am in a pause, an intermission, blocked, or just plain stuck. All of the kind words might help and I can get out of this by doing MORE winter snowy landscapes.

PeggyB
01-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Right now I am in a pause, an intermission, blocked, or just plain stuck. All of the kind words might help and I can get out of this by doing MORE winter snowy landscapes.

Yes, yes do more snowy landscapes. Those I've seen from you are beautiful, and my favorite way to see snow - in pictures and not outside the house! :lol: Which incidently is still there from Monday afternoon, the temps are below freezing right now, and spots of roads and driveways are so slick with ice that the Issauah pool just called to tell me the arthritis exercise class I attend is cancelled for today because they don't want anyone to fall on the icy driveway and sidewalk. I can still go do laps though, and probably will, but I'll be very very careful walking! Donna it is no wonder we of the NorthWET get depressed this time of year.

Peggy