PDA

View Full Version : Try a Blog - Too much fun!

David Patterson
01-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Lately I've visited many great blogs that have been created by fellow WetCanvas artists. All the reading inspired me to create my own. It was free, and easy to do. I know, I know, it's just something else to keep you away from the studio - but so many of us tend to find ourselves in a "funk" now and then, that I found it to be a rather nice diversion. It might even cause many to get their creative juices going again!:thumbsup: Another plus, is it can drive people to your website.

I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to sign my guestbook...or comment on a post. If you already have a blog, I'd love to add you to my "link" section.:D

If you're interested, my new blog is at the following link:
http://david-patterson.blogspot.com/

Hope you're all having a fantastic week!

David :wave:

PeggyB
01-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Nice Blog David, but I doubt is is something I'd want to do. Just keeping up with WC is enough for this NorthWETTER - and boy is it wet tonight! Traffic is moving very slowly down our road given the snow and icy conditions. It was 50 degrees outside about 2pm, and a couple hours later snowing like crazy, and still falling.

Peggy

CindyW
01-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Yah, blogs are very easy and fun to do!
David, I just took a quick peek and I'll be a frequent visitor to check more posts later.
My goal this year is to start a fine art blog as well. I already have a family pictures blog which I share privately with my family through blogger/blogspot and it's so very easy to post to! My family enjoys seeing the latest daily life pix from my family and I find it much easier and faster updating a blog than updating a website.
Looks great, David!
Cindy

maggie latham
01-15-2008, 07:22 AM
David,
Great blog….I love reading other artist bogs, much more of an insight than comments on WC. I like the layout, it is very professional. I bought Adobe Contribute software recently to be able to edit my website when it is up and running (!) and I believe I can blog from that.
Maggie

David Patterson
01-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks Peggy, Cindy, and Maggie! I think my family will enjoy seeing what I've been up to...at least I hope so!:D

Maggie - I just love your recent seascapes!:thumbsup:

David:wave:

Dot Hoffman
01-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Good work, David. I like your blog a lot, and of course, all of your work :)

mrking
01-15-2008, 11:30 AM
A blog has been good in keeping me going sometimes. Posting about painting can fill in the gaps when you can't get to paint.

I started off with blogspot then moved over to wordpress.com. Then decided I wanted even more control and use a standalone version of wordpress from wordpress.org. Since I am a geek at heart I set it up to be more like a website with an integrated blog. Works great for me.

nana b
01-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Very sweet! I will be watching so you'd better watch out!:wave:

nana

Merethe T
01-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Very nice David, I bookmarked you! ;) The photo of the musician is just amazing, love it!

I enjoy reading other artist blogs, can be very addictive. Gonna be looking out for updates from you...(might get to see more of your photos as well as your art.....?)

Merethe

Bringer
01-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi David,

I took a quick look since I'm in a hurry and it looks quite good.
I suggest that you on your links you place your site.
Check my blog and see on the right column the blog directories where my blog is listed. Maybe you want to list yours too. I really don't know if it's a positive move, but I guess it makes it more visible.
For insteance, if you search for the word "pastelmat" on Google, guess what comes first ...Claire Fontaine's site ? Guess again :-)

Kind regards,

José

Snowbound
01-15-2008, 07:26 PM
David, I enjoyed seeing your blog and learning a little more about how a specific painting or photograph came about. I still love that painting of the beach at Seaside-- I had no idea it was your first pastel! Lovely.

I have a folder in my bookmarks called "Inspiratore", in which I keep links to blogs and websites of other artists I've found inspiring. The list has gotten quite long and it is one of the things I turn to both for simple pleasure and to remind myself of the great beauty in different ways of seeing. David, your website is one of them, and a link to it has been on my blog for a while now as one of the people I feel inspired by! The list is not as long as it should be though-- I just ran out of steam. I'll be adding folks.

Now I'm working (painfully) on developing a website to use as an online portfolio, but I started my blog shortly after I realized that my love affair with pastels was going to be a lifelong one. It was, at first, simply my way of keeping things out of the grey box in the closet, but also gave me a place to ponder various things related to my art, either directly or indirectly. It's become an important part of my exploration and growth. And it's fun.

I don't worry too much about the artistic merit of what I post-- it's all a journey, and sometimes posting there gives me a new insight. Though I set my site up not to take comments, I do occasionally get an email from someone, and end up making a friend. So, a doubly-rewarding exercise.

Dayle Ann

David Patterson
01-15-2008, 09:27 PM
WOW! Thanks to everyone who visited my blog and left such wonderful comments here, and on my posts and guestbook...it's very flattering!

Now I need to add a bunch of you to my links section.:)

Stay dusty!

David :wave:

BabyBeeb
01-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Awesome job on the blog, David! Now go read your comments!
Smiles, and we'll see ya in the blogosphere...
Brenda

David Patterson
01-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks Brenda! I need to still add all the WC bloggers in here to my links area...maybe tomorrow!:)

David

nana b
01-18-2008, 09:00 PM
David, I tried to sign your guest book the other day and it just sat there and just now tried two times and it does the same thing. It's probably something that is happening here and will keep trying! :)

nana

Karen Margulis
01-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi David,
Welcome to the blog world!!! Your blog looks great and I will bookmark it so I can come back! I have found that my blog keeps me painting...I have been posting faithfully for over 2 years now and I feel bad if I miss a day!
Good Luck with your blog!

Karen

David Patterson
01-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks Karen...love your work!

Goewyn
01-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi Dave, great start! I love those glass paperweights. Blogs are fun, I don't have time to update as much as I'd like (I have a day job, hence less painting time) but they are great for updating family/friends/etc., as well as sharing projects with the world. :)

If you have a statistic keeper/counter with your blog, it's also fun to see where people end up coming from too. :)

-- Linda

David Patterson
01-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks Linda. Yeah...the day job wipes out the 'ol studio time doesn't it?! I'll have to load a stats keeper in my blog...sounds like something I'd enjoy.

David

E-J
01-21-2008, 02:38 PM
David, your "Yellow & Colbalt" glass piece in particular is really gorgeous.

I have started and abandoned several forms of online diary/journal/blog, but am quite enjoying keeping up my sketchblog, however infrequently I manage it. Like Karen, I find guilt over not having posted lately can be an effective prompt to painting. :D I started a separate blog for my knitting/crochet a while back, but due to my seeming inability to take decent photos of my work, I'm a bit slower with that one!

Thanks for sharing your link!

Punky2
01-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Hi David,

Your blog looks great. I signed your guestbook but my entry didn't show up afterwards. :confused: I wrote a bunch of nice stuff about you, none that I can remember now. :crying: I did say though, that I like your new self portrait photo. It has very nice lighting.

Terri

David Patterson
01-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks EJ & Terri.

Terri, I'm not sure what's going on with the guestbook, but I think it takes as long as a day for it to sometimes get updated. Thank you for the kind words...whatever they were!:lol:

David

BUN201
01-27-2008, 10:43 PM
I just started a blog. I don't have a website as of yet....that will be next. I think it's a good way to get people to look at your work. I like the Feedblitz where people can put in their email addresses. I will have to check that out.

eileena
01-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Wow, I just finished looking at all your blogs and they are great.
I wish I have time for something like that.

David, love your landscapes. :)

Mike_Beeman
01-28-2008, 12:31 AM
David...great job on the blog and appreciate the link...I'll get yours on tomorrow! Mike

David Patterson
01-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks Bunny, Eileena, & Mike!

AliciaS
01-28-2008, 08:26 AM
David.. I just saw this thread today.... i love your sites..and i love the painting on your website called "The Market" beautiful! and i like your face on your avatar!!!

Deborah Secor
01-28-2008, 09:39 AM
I just took a look at the blog and left a comment, and it looks good, David. That's an intriguing portrait you have started there...

Deborah

HarvestMoon
01-28-2008, 06:17 PM
David- even my DOCTOR who is a photographer at heart has a blog... and I just can't keep up with them all... so I stick with THIS site...but glad that it makes you happy.... do you have a 'great finds at Lowe's' section???

David Patterson
01-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Thank you so much Alicia, Deborah, and Linda!

Alicia..."The Market" is my favorite of all the paintings I've done.

Thanks again for the nice comments Deborah.

Linda...stay away from Lowe's...you don't need anymore storage!

Dot Hoffman
01-29-2008, 10:34 AM
David, it's been a while since I checked out your blog. You're doing great. I love the glass works. Beautiful. I've always wondered how they were done, so I'm really glad you told us the process. Love them! :clap:

David Patterson
01-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Thanks Dot...nice to hear from you. Are you keeping warm!:)