PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Jan 14 Thru 20

K Taylor-Green
01-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Hi all and happy Monday!! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives!

The weather around here is being quite unpredictable, even for Ohio! Warm one day cold and wet the next, and today, light snow and wind! It is colder, too!
Brrrr.

No weird phone calls for a while, but I am still considering going to a private number.

Is everyone having a good start to your week?

Merriel
01-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Kate. I thought I would post this as I find it so amazing. I painted today for the first time since cataract removal. I still cannot believe the difference in color. I thought something seriously was wrong, especially with out TV. Then I remembered about my surgery,. I never noticed it on the first eye, but the second one has opened up a whole new vision for me It is wonderful. Hopefully my future paintings will be full of light and color.

I just thought this was worth telling about as I rarely have much news. Also thanks to you for hosting this as I know it must take precious time out of your otherwise busy day.

merriel

K Taylor-Green
01-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Merriel, that is wonderful news!! :lol: :clap: How amazing!
I'm glad you stopped by! I think everyone else has run away or is too busy to play!:D

Deborah Secor
01-15-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm not too busy. I'm home 'babysitting' a husband who had a wisdom tooth pulled. This one was/is painful, poor baby! I should have painted but a friend showed up here at the house to visit at the heat of the day (which is the best time to paint) so I missed the prime window. Couldn't get in the mood after...

Hey, that's great Merriel! I know my MIL said she saw a huge color difference too.

Maybe a few more will wander in sometime soon...

Deborah

CJMonty
01-16-2008, 12:39 AM
My Mum also noticed an amazing difference in both colour and light after she had hers done, also she had worn glasses since the age of 10 years, now 75 years and now only has to wear them for reading. She does a LOT of fine needlework and sewing. She also does Bobbin Lace.

Merriel I hope you get a lot out of your new vision.

Deborah sorry to hear about hubby although I'm sure he'll be up and about again soon.

I call in here everyday and make the occasional comment here and there. My treatment seems to be going OK for now but is very tiring and only leaves me half a day to get anything done.

Take Care everyone
Lots of Love Carolynn :):):):heart::heart::heart::wave:

Merriel
01-16-2008, 12:49 AM
Thank you Kate, Deborah and Carolynn. Stay safe everyone.

merriel

PeggyB
01-16-2008, 01:13 AM
It seems we've all had a bit of a rough start to the week.

Merriel I'm so thrilled to hear about the success of your surgery. I know my mom was very happy when she had hers done because she doesn't need her glasses either accept for reading. More about Mom in a bit.

Deborah I can sympathize for you having to babysit an "ailing" husband. Sometimes I think husbands are the biggest babies of all when it comes to being physically incapacited. LOL

Carolyn, I'm glad your treatments are going OK. I'm sure for an active woman this must seem never ending.

Well now about Mom. Last Thurs my brother returned home to find her on the floor unable to get up. She insisted she didn't need to go to the hospital, but the aid car took her anyway. Long story short after a very angry weekend filled with verbal abuse toward said brother on her part, she has been diagnosed with dementia. My other brother and his wife traveled from Wyoming to Englewood CO today to assist with what is necessary to get her into a "rest" home, and this afternoon she was taken there. Interestingly enough, when all was said and done she agreed calmly that this was probably for the best. They will meet with other officials tomorrow to get more information, etc, and I'm hoping she will still be in the same frame of mind then. It is supposed to snow in the Denver area tomorrow, and that will just make it worse for getting around so I'm hoping it will delay or be very mild snow. As the oldest, I'm feeling pretty badly about not being there to help, but my Wyoming brother is the executor of her estate, and I'm sure he is very capable. It isn't as though she has any "estate" to worry about. We all want what is best for Mom, and are in constant communication with one another. One good thing, my Colorado brother was given the phone number of a company in Chicago that does evaluation of nursing homes around the country. The one he'd chosen for her is rated "double" execellent. Triple execellent is the only one better, and there wasn't one of those in his area. I could be wrong about the wording of the ratings, but I do know there was only one rate higher than this one. Tomorrow when they meet with the personnal there, they have a whole list of questions all written out.

To top that off, I had a dentist appointment today to have two silver fillings replaced. The good news was my doc had a new plaque on his wall. He'd been designated one of the top 10 dentists in King County in December, and he hadn't even known he was in the race! I know I like him, but it is nice to know other professionals think he's good too.

Peggy

K Taylor-Green
01-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Ah, Peggy. That is so sad. But she will be safer in a contained environment. The peace of mind that comes with that is priceless.

Bad day here. I was coming back from my daughter's with the grandkids and my car broke down! It is an older car, but til the last few months has given us little trouble. I'm thinking this is the clutch, not too hard for Jess to replace.
Anyway, my SIL rescued us and Jess will pick up the car with the truck and trailer when he gets home from work.
I really hate to think of buying another car. We are saving to build a barn next year and I was hoping it would last til then.

Deborah Secor
01-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Sorry to hear about your mom, Peggy. That's so hard. But it sounds like you've found a good place for her, which is a total blessing.

Ack, Kate--buying cars is such a hassle and who wants all those payments? Hope it works out for you.

It's C-C-C-COLD here today! Only up to 27F here right now. Predicted to go all the way up to 33F. The low was 13F last night. I can't even think of going to the studio, which is far draftier than the rest of the house and on the east side, so colder as the day goes on. I need a good heater to use in there, one that doesn't take up too much space. I'm sticking to the toasty down sleeping bag with the heating pad on high tucked inside right now. Mmmmm, warm. I want tea but won't get out of the warm to go get it... maybe later...

Deborah

Diana_pastels
01-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Peggy, so sorry about your mom, difficult decision to make. Sounds like you all found a great place for her though.
Merriel, how fun to see color better!
Kate, car trouble is NO fun! Hope it is fixable and will last you a good while longer.
Deborah, poor hubby, hope the pain eases soon.
CJ, sorry your treatments wear you out so. I'll continue praying for you.

Well, I am neck deep in the busiest time of the year for me work-wise. As a self-employed bookkeeper now is the time for all the end of the year reconciling and W2s etc, etc, etc!
Plus we just had 300 seedlings delivered last night that we need to plant in the next couple of days. Sure wish we could have done this at a different time!
I had my first class with Margot Schulzke yesterday. I ended up being a few minutes late due to getting lost! The classes are in another town about 35 miles away, but it takes about an hour to get there due to horribly windy country roads. Plus it turns out that there are two "Lincoln Ways" in this town. And of course, I took the wrong Lincoln Way! Eeek!
So I was a little flustered when I arrived. But I think I am going to learn alot from her. She is teaching on composition and design, which is something I have a lot to learn about.

Diana

Deborah Secor
01-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Kewl, Diana--getting to take classes with Margot, that is. Keep us informed. I'd love to spend time in her classroom... :D

Deborah

Dot Hoffman
01-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Peggy, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I know how hard it is to deal with parents' issues when you are so far away. My mom is in Minnesota, but thankfully both of my sisters live there. They consult me on every issue that comes up. Last summer was a trying time, because Mom was not doing real well living in an apartment all alone. She had a stroke on Halloween of 2006 and wasn't recovering real well mentally. Physically, she was doing exceptionally well. Finally, they took her to see a lawyer to find out her options, and (since she doesn't always want to listen to us "kids") he told her the steps to take to move, handle the balance of her savings, etc. It was a turning point. She moved into a retirement-->assisted living facility. Services increase on an as-needed basis. Right now she needs minimal supervision. She takes one meal in the dining room each day, and participates in some of the activities, and has a lovely small apartment. For the first time in a long time, years, really, she is truly happy. It's been wonderful to see such a positive change in her. She's 94 next month, and her memory is not what it was before the stroke, but she is amazing. As Katherine said, the peace of mind is priceless.

PeggyB
01-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind words of support. Dot, I have an aunt who lives in a similar situation to your Mom - also in Minnesota - and is doing very well. Unfortunately, my mom's physical health is as bad or worse than her mental health so she went directly to the nursing section of the home. I hope she will accept it gracefully, but Mom has always been one to resent anyone doing things for her who isn't a family member. Only time will tell. I am relieved however knowing she has full time care.

Peggy

Merriel
01-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Peggy: I too am sorry what you are going through. My MIL hated going to a nursing home, but she refused to get out of bed. After a while, she loved the attention she was getting, I think just didn't like us any more. She was 93. but I lost my mom at 94 on Valentines day 2007. She loved life even when she was having a hard time. Her dementia made her laugh most of the time. short term memory. She said it comes to all of us. My dad is 94, still driving and taking long trips. He is pretty funny too. I have been blessed with them. Your mom will come to grips with it and maybe like it eventually but just never admit it.

merriel

Deborah Secor
01-17-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm in the same boat with y'all... My mom is 95 and still going strong, but starting to show her age. She sleeps about 12-16 hours a day now. 'Morning' is about noon or so. Her memory is starting to ware thin in spots, which shows when she's out of her environment, grocery shopping, strolling around the stores or whatever. She won't say it, but I catch that scared little kid look now and then. I cannot believe how hot her apartment is, or how loud the TV is, but that seems normal among her peers.

We're wondering when/if we should bring her to live with us or in a MIL quarters type place near us. Neither she nor we can afford to put her into assisted living, unless it's subsidized, and what I've seen of the choices are not worth considering. The word 'warehousing' comes to mind. I don't think she could tolerate the place we live now, but we could relocate if needed. With our 21 year old son still in the nest we can't manage it here, anyway. We'll know what to do and how to cope when the time comes, I'm confident. For today she's doing fine right where she is, thank God!

Deborah

BabyBeeb
01-17-2008, 11:45 PM
In the studio today for about 3 1/2 hours :eek: working away at a piece when up comes my painting buddie to help select the next color! Well, she could either be a pest, telling me "It's time to stop and rest", or simply to say "I need a pet!"

Too cute to pass up, I took this shot of her, "Rosie" and wanted to see if any of you have a painting buddie too! I bet there are a million painting buddies, whether it be feline or canine, so here's your chance to share your "buddie" in the studio with you! Oh, and don't tease me about those tiny little pastel chips that are so annoying, sheepishly, they help with detail when needed...and I can't bear to just toss em...hee hee.

Rosie, 3 yrs old
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2008/50118-Rosie.jpg

Paula Ford
01-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Oh isn't she just the prettiest painting buddy!!!!

Brenda, When I get home tonight after work I'll take a picture of my Peanut and will post.

Though I have 5 kitties, Peanut (my oldest at 18) is the one who walks through my pastel box e-v-e-r-y d-a-y no matter how many times I scold her when she does it. The other day I was working on a painting and she jumped up right in the middle of it....:eek: :lol: The way I've been painting, it probably helped :lol:

See you later...

Paula

Kathryn Wilson
01-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Guys, this really belongs in the Scumble. We try to keep topics such as this (which really isn't pastel related, although it is related to what you do) out of the main forum so we don't clog up the forum with non-related threads.

So, with your permission, I am going to move it into the Scumble and everyone can posts photos there.

Paula Ford
01-18-2008, 08:23 PM
This is my little painting buddy Peanut. She is 18 this year and still going strong! (Sorry about the flash in the eyes.) She walks through my pastel box every night to get to her bed on top of my sewing table. There are little kitty footprints everywhere!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2008/1978-Peanut.JPG

K Taylor-Green
01-19-2008, 10:53 AM
I don't have a cat, so my painting buddy is whichever Lab wants to keep me company. As I have 7 of the darlings, I won't post photos! :lol:

Jess went hunting this morning. He has gotten me interested in Upland bird hunting and I enjoy practicing with my new shotgun, but there is no way in the hot place he is getting me up at 4:30 AM to go out in a boat when the temps are in the low teens to MAYBE get to shoot at a duck or a goose! The man is mad. He plans on doing this all weekend as next weekend the season ends.
Wonder if this means I don't have to cook!:D

Deborah Secor
01-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Or you'll be cooking goose...?

K Taylor-Green
01-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Or you'll be cooking goose...?

Not doing that either!! I hate the taste of wild goose. It has a liver flavor I can't get past. But his mom will cook it! :evil:

Deborah Secor
01-20-2008, 01:32 AM
Ewwww.. I agree... let mom cook it! I've only had the domestic kind and they're awfully greasy, but hubby loves them. Made a huge mess in the oven, however.

CJMonty
01-20-2008, 09:48 AM
MMMMM I just love Liver Onion and Bacon with a nice thick sauce accompanied with Mash potato and peas.

Must go to bed as it is late and have to be up 0600 to go to treatment. tomorrow.

Take Care
Love Carolynn :):):heart::heart::heart:

Dot Hoffman
01-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Deborah, I apologize for not being around for a few days. I just wanted to suggest you look around further for subsidized assisted living for when/if your mom needs it. My mom in MN will be eligible for subsidies later this year, when her money runs out, and the place where she is accepts that. In fact, it was a prerequisite in selecting a home for her because she had limited funds and like you, none of us could afford it. You may find subsidized (or a place that accepts Medicaid) housing to be an answer, although I admit I don't know what it's like in ABQ.

From the years I worked in long term care (eons ago!!) residential or long term care facilities range wildly in quality, from the really special like where my mom lives, to the downright gawd-awful. ABQ should have a area agency on aging who could possibly help you with information. Good luck. I know how difficult it can be.

Shirl Parker
01-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Here's my painting buddy, Pearl, although she was really waiting for me to get off WetCanvas and feed her.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2008/113427-P1000471.JPG

Shirl

Deborah Secor
01-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, Dot! I keep all options open and will be looking arounnd. There's a man in our church who runs gruop homes, mostly fro Alzheimer's patients, and he might have a lot of information for me. Right now, today, Mom good, for which I'm grateful.

Awww, Pearl is a doll! If she looked at me with those eyes I'd feed her! I miss my painting buddy but when old George (great Lab/Golden cross) passed on I knew it was time to go animal-less, for the time being. I can't tell you how many times I almost tripped over him because he'd settle down next to the woodstove behind me! He'd never have fit into my new studio space...

I have an afternoon free and the day is warmer, so the studio isn't a freezer. I think I'll go paint!!

Deborah

PeggyB
01-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Deborah, my brother was given the phone number of an company in Chicago who does evaluation of nursing homes nation wide. They are rated from 3 stars to "deficient". The hospital had given him a list of area nursing homes, and he then called that company. (I can get the name and number if anyone wants it). There was one place that had a 2 star rating on the hospital's list, and fortunately they had an opening for her to be there for the initial 20 day evaluation, and then until 100 days when she has either been determined not to need their services or her money runs out. If she is to stay there, we have our fingers crossed there will be room for her premanently. Right now she is #26 on their list. My brothers were told there is a high probability there will be room - and it isn't always necessary for someone to die to get moved up the list. Some residents stay only for a short period of time and then rotate back into their family homes. Once accepted there however, they won't push you out. Since Mom's resources as so extremely limited, Medicaid will take over 100% of the expenses at this facility when her funds run out. Dot my Brother said that's a federal law so it won't be any different from state to state. Facilities that accept Medicaid all have this rule. Oh yes, the facility has to be re-evaluated every year to maintain or move up the scale on the evaluation company's list. That's a good thing.
Peggy