PDA

View Full Version : Blue Boy - after Gainsborough

*Violet*
01-14-2008, 05:06 AM
hi all .... altho i haven't been posting much i am still around ... have been suffering from a real stubborn depression and so haven't been posting or painting or pretty much of anything .... i did however, muster up some creativity a couple days ago and said to heck (well maybe a different word ... :lol:) with everything else ... i'm going to tackle a project i've long wanted to do ... trubble is ... i paint into the wee hours of the night and wind up out of sync with the rest of the world ... and i can't stop until exhausted or i'm done .... this is my third all nighter and i finally have gotten to the point where i'd call it finished .... but ... other eyes are always so helpful .... so please ... give this a look and let me know if there's anything i should address before i lunge into doing pinkie .... again, c&c very welcome !!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2008/46454-final_blue_boy_wc.JPG
and i almost forgot ... it is 18"x28" on teal blue colorfix done mostly with PanPastels but details required pastel pencils ... Derwents and CarbOthelos

arlenebc
01-14-2008, 05:43 AM
:thumbsup: Absolutely amazing job on this! I don't see anything that needs fixing. Glad your creative juices are flowing again! I know about the painting into the wee hours thing, nice quiet house, the "it's the now or never" syndrome and it's so hard to stop, but the rest of the world is waiting right on time the next day. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Arlene

CJMonty
01-14-2008, 05:45 AM
Violet this is so good. I love how you have such a sheen on his clothing.

I hope you are recovering from your depression, I too have been there a number of years ago and wouldn't want to repeat it either.

Take Care and I hope you have a Dusty Year. :lol:

Lots of Love Carolynn :):):heart::heart::heart:

Andi Rebirth
01-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Violet, This is just great. I love the folds in his clothing. This really brought back memories. During the fifties, alot of people, including my mother, had repros of pinkie and blueboy. Made me smile, I wonder how many people bought those repros?
Yours is just fantastic. I love it and glad to hear that your depression is lifting. It can be so terrible. I know, glad you are getting relief.
A truly great effort and look forward to pinkie! Andi

Colorix
01-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Violet, this is fabulous! You could be a very successful forgerer.

Are you suffering from SAD? If so, then you know already that you should be up and about during whatever daylight there is. I've got the SADness, and I use painting to help me stay more upbeat. Glorious colour in a gray-white dreary world in winter helps, but mainly I use strong halogen lights in my studio, that literally brightens my afternoons and mind. *And* I set a time when I *must* stop... it even works sometimes. (Sorry, I may be way too enthusiastic in sharing, and this may not be your problem at all, but mine.)

*Violet*
01-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Violet, This is just great. I love the folds in his clothing. This really brought back memories. During the fifties, alot of people, including my mother, had repros of pinkie and blueboy. Made me smile, I wonder how many people bought those repros?
Yours is just fantastic. I love it and glad to hear that your depression is lifting. It can be so terrible. I know, glad you are getting relief.
A truly great effort and look forward to pinkie! Andi

glad i stirred up some memories and made you smile, andi !! ... many thanks for your compliments too ... and yes ... pinkie ... can't wait to get started on her ... must address some of the things neglected first tho ... hope i can get into that one as i did this one ...

Violet, this is fabulous! You could be a very successful forgerer. Are you suffering from SAD? If so, then you know already that you should be up and about during whatever daylight there is. I've got the SADness, and I use painting to help me stay more upbeat. Glorious colour in a gray-white dreary world in winter helps, but mainly I use strong halogen lights in my studio, that literally brightens my afternoons and mind. *And* I set a time when I *must* stop... it even works sometimes. (Sorry, I may be way too enthusiastic in sharing, and this may not be your problem at all, but mine.)

you really made me *chuckle*, charlie ... saying i could be a successful forgerer !! ... cool compliment !! ... i don't think it's SAD that i suffer from coz i'm affected year round ... this bout a tough one for better than a year now ... sunlight undoubtedly must be a good thing even still ... i hope you are feeling better ... your posts always seem upbeat ! ... (altho i've not posted like i used to, i still have tried to keep current with the forum... )

again ... thank you so much to each of you with your lovely compliments ... seeing my painting posted tho had me notice something that needed to be addressed and i've fixed it ... in my tiredness i must have fiddled with the collar and made it to high on our right side (his left) ... will post a revision later today ...

in the meantime ... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2007/34523-34523-0_grouphug.gif (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/../Community/images/13-Mar-2007/34523-34523-0_grouphug.gif)
thank you everyone !!

*Marina*
01-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Lovely painting Violet, hope it gets you over your depression. Had a Dianna Ponting workshop in Gainsborough House in Sudbury, UK.;

*Violet*
01-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Lovely painting Violet, hope it gets you over your depression. Had a Dianna Ponting workshop in Gainsborough House in Sudbury, UK.;

thank you, marina !! ... i do feel good having accomplished it ... let's hope i follows this trend ... and another painting does too !! .... :) ... and :eek: ??? ... you had a dianna ponting workshop??? ... you lucky girl !! .... how was it? ... what did you work on? ... oh so many questions and so little time ... :lol: ... interesting it was in a place called Sudbury ... i was born in Sudbury ... but Ontario, Canada ....

bchlvr
01-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Gorgeous!! Especially well done.

Dougwas
01-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Way to go Violet! Very well done. He just sheens. Great detail work. Glad to see you back painting. :thumbsup: And remember, one day at a time.:)

Doug

fiannah
01-14-2008, 08:13 PM
wow, fabulous! and with pan pastels.. really nice!

*Violet*
01-15-2008, 02:07 AM
:thumbsup: Absolutely amazing job on this! I don't see anything that needs fixing. Glad your creative juices are flowing again! I know about the painting into the wee hours thing, nice quiet house, the "it's the now or never" syndrome and it's so hard to stop, but the rest of the world is waiting right on time the next day. Hope you're feeling better soon!
Arlene

thank you arlene !! ... i just noticed that my response to you in my earlier message disappeared !! ... :o ... gremlins i say !! ... i *know* i mentioned your knowing exactly how it was for me ... quiet house/now or never ... *yes indeed* ... you understand ... and yes ... tomorrow brings all that waits ... many thx for your compliments and good wishes as well as understanding ...:heart:

Gorgeous!! Especially well done.

thank you linn !!

Way to go Violet! Very well done. He just sheens. Great detail work. Glad to see you back painting. :thumbsup: And remember, one day at a time.:) Doug

thank you for the lovely compliments, doug ! ... and especially for not looking too closely at the details !! ... :lol: .... shhhhh ... i know i coulda been a bit pickier with 'em ....:eek: .... :lol: ... and yes ... one day at a time ... thank you for those comforting words as well ...:heart:

wow, fabulous! and with pan pastels.. really nice!

thank you joni ! ... the pan pastels are wonderful to work with !! ... even with my inexperience with them i feel i wouldn't be without them !! ... i recommend them highly! ... and when looking for them, don't hesitate to *deal* with a supplier ... my experience was that the proprieter was more than happy to make an attractive deal (intuitively i knew i'd love 'em and was shooting for the full 60) ... especially since i was travelling to that store's locale and didn't have to pay for shipping ... New Orleans had the store ...

*Violet*
01-15-2008, 02:30 AM
oh dear ... i forgot to post my *revised* Blue Boy after Gainsborough !! ...:o ... here it is for all interested in my changes ... i fixed the collar mostly ...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2008/46454-blue_boy_wc.JPG
... but must admit ... i always tweak a little here and there whenever i go back to revise something ... am i the only one that does that ??? ...:cat:

bluefish
01-15-2008, 09:20 AM
wow........Pan Pastels should hire you on the spot to do demos for them! Wonderful job - outstanding!

Now that 'blueboy' is finished, can 'bluefish' be next?:rolleyes: :lol:

*Marina*
01-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Violet, you can read all about the Sudbury workshop in this thread, started by Dark Shades, http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347300
It was fun and I have good memories of it all. Hope Dianna comes back to Europe some time soon.

*Violet*
01-15-2008, 10:52 PM
wow........Pan Pastels should hire you on the spot to do demos for them! Wonderful job - outstanding! Now that 'blueboy' is finished, can 'bluefish' be next?:rolleyes: :lol:

hire me? ... you are toooo kind !! ... and hmmmm bluefish? ... what's the reference look like??? ... :angel:

Violet, you can read all about the Sudbury workshop in this thread, started by Dark Shades, http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347300
It was fun and I have good memories of it all. Hope Dianna comes back to Europe some time soon.

i did !! ... i did read that post ... what a wonderful experience you all had ... how envious !! ... i only wish enough people in the toronto/niagara/buffalo area could come together to bring her here ... *sigh* ....

WC Lee
01-16-2008, 01:20 AM
good work on this :) I see you got the hang of using the pan pastels with little problems.