PDA

View Full Version : Rockport Harbour

Elfi
06-19-2002, 10:07 PM
This is a watercolor I did some time ago from a photograph in my Sunday newspaper. Critiques and comments are welcome! I can take it (I think). Getting brave. And there are absolutely no hidden deer or dolphins in this one! - I had this framed hanging in my LR for a while, but took it down because it did not "speak" to me, - don't know why.
Maybe you can tell me.
Elfi
:confused:

Mason
06-19-2002, 10:57 PM
Such a beautiful job on the sunset and water. No wonder you hung it.
If you want me to nit pik, I would say I think the sunset is offset too much with all the boats. If I could paint a sunset and water like you did, I would not have much else to get in the way. I really like the sunset and water. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Mason

Jprice022
06-20-2002, 12:00 AM
I like your painting. You have done a good job.

One of the things that I noticed are the masts, etc going out of the top of the picture. I find this distracting. The other is that the yellow just below the horizon might be too bright. It doesn't seem to have a counterpart in the sky.

These items are pretty picky and doing something about them may not change your feelings about the painting. Someone else may have better ideas.

Thanks for sharing.
John

Rod
06-20-2002, 04:06 AM
Beautiful rendering of the sky, water and reflections.
I 'm quite happy with all of the boats moored up at the end of the day.

My only suggestion is that perhaps the yellow reflection in the sea on the left should be greyed out a bit.
The sky on that side is just grey clouds so the sea should reflect that.

This would also the make the focal point even stronger of the sun setting on the right .

The upper structure of the boat directly in line with the sun would be a dark silhouette , you would not see its white colour at the top ,

Rod.

JustjoGA
06-20-2002, 05:15 AM
Yes... gorgeous sunset... if you tone down the bright yellow just a bit, we like it even if you don't. :-)

Elfi
06-20-2002, 10:15 AM
Thank you all for your comments! - I can see that especially the two fishing rods slanted to the top right are leading OUT of the painting. I should have known this and should not have faithfully copied the photograph image to that degree. Can't change that of course, but maybe will try to tone down the bright yellow part on the left and think about darkening the silhouette at the top of the large boat, as Rod said, it would be just dark against the sunset.

Thanks again, you've really been helpful.
Elfi

ripvanblair
06-20-2002, 12:23 PM
Wonderful colours very effective they combine so well ,as everybody else says maybe a touch to much yellow---------well done---------Alan

al22
06-20-2002, 12:43 PM
Like it and agree with Rod about the sliver of yellow.......
Can you give us some idea of size, type of paper, paints.....etc....we're a nosy bunch and like to know the little details.....lol
Nice...........al

Elfi
06-20-2002, 06:49 PM
Sorry about the lack of details. Am learning the ropes.... This is about 10 X 13 on Strathmore 140 lbs with Yarka colors. Am using Arches paper in the meantime but can't quite get used to the roughness of the Arches paper. Or I need different, better brushes. My largest wash oval is squirrel hair from Dick Blick, but it doesn't spring back at all when wet. :evil:

Anyway, here is a REALLY TRIVIAL question: You all seem to know what LOL means, - can someone enlighten me??:confused:

Thanks again, regards,
Elfi

Mason
06-20-2002, 07:27 PM
In my comment above, I was going to say the same thing JP said about the outriggers, only I felt inadequate to say so. I am glad I am not such a dummy. Thank you Jp for reinforcing my thoughts.
Mason

Little Old Lady
06-20-2002, 08:36 PM
LOL is laughing out loud.
I think your painting is great. As far as the yellow - around here the sunsets usually have oranges and reds in them.
JoAnn

dspinks
06-20-2002, 10:29 PM
The water and sky are great. I'm really interested in seeing how your adjustments turn out.
Debra

NorahT
06-21-2002, 01:51 PM
I agree with the modifications - but it still speaks to me :)

surreal
06-21-2002, 02:03 PM
It's a lovely painting!
surreal

ColorMeSunny!
06-21-2002, 09:59 PM
Wonderful!:clap: :clap:

taghera
06-21-2002, 10:03 PM
Yes I agree, a little bit to much yellow, but a super painting anyhow. :)