PDA

View Full Version : Hello

PEYTON
01-13-2008, 02:06 PM
I'M A NEW MEMBER AND CAN'T SEEM TO GET TO THE "WELCOME FORUM", SO I'LL SAY IT HERE...
I NEED INFO ON PASTEL TECHNIQUES OF DEGAS, HIS SHELLAC FORMULAE FOR PASTELS, TO BE EXACT.
THERE IS AN ARTICLE BY BERNARD DUNSTAN IN THE "AMERICAN ARTIST" V.XXXVI NO.362 SEPT 1972 OR 4? TITLED "THE PASTEL TECHNIQUES OF EDGAR DEGAS". CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO FIND OR DOWNLOAD THIS ARTICLE??? I"VE SPENT HALF THE DAY GOOGLING TO LITTLE AVAIL... THANKS FOR ANY HELP.
GLAD TO JOIN THE COMMUNITY...:wave:

Kathryn Wilson
01-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Hi Peyton - welcome to the Pastel Forum - I am going to move this into Pastel Talk, you will get a warm welcome and hopefully some information.

Colorix
01-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi Payton, welcome! Hm, I guess that article is from a time before everything was digitalized. You could ask the publisher. There may be interlibrary loaning, too.

I'm a bit curious now, so I'll have a look in my books for this shellac thingy. Only thing I can remember about his technique just off the top of my head is that he often painted on prints he made himself, and that he sprayed a fixative (could very well be the dissolved shellac) on his pastels using a strawlike thingy that might be called an "atomisator". You stick one end of the thin hollow metal tube in the solution, blow air through another end, and a spray comes out the third end. (Thanks be to the inventor of the spray can! We don't have to do this. It is rather messy, I've tried.)

Do you need this info for your art, or for writing a paper?

Anyway, I'll see what I can find, can't promise anything.

CJMonty
01-15-2008, 01:04 AM
I'm afraid I can't add any information to this thread. However I can Wecome you to WC :clap:. Tell us more about yourself and what you paint. You will certainly make many friends here and get lots of encouragement too.

Good Luck and keep Dusty.

Take Care Carolynn :):heart::heart: