PDA

View Full Version : 1st post in Pastel Forum

DonP
01-13-2008, 01:30 AM
Hello All,
I recently came aboard WC in the Marine Art forum, but since I work almost exclusively in pastel, I thought I might jump in here (where there are other folks equally deranged from years of inhaling dust). Being self taught, I need to pick up all the tips I can, especially related to pastels.
The ship (USCG EAGLE) is 14 x 18" and the Planes (A-4's coming down through "a hole" to USS Oriskany) 14 x 24"- are both soft pastels and pastel pencils on Sennelier La Carte paper.
C&C most welcome.
Thanks, Don
P.S. I have never found anything that blends better than using a finger. Any ideas? I've probably absorbed too much pastel by now to make a difference anyway

Dougwas
01-13-2008, 02:28 AM
Wow!!! Great paintings Don. The planes look so real and I love the sea mist in the ship painting. You will learn lots from some very knowledgeable artists here in the pastel forum. I am sure you can pass on some tips as well.

Doug

WC Lee
01-13-2008, 04:57 AM
Beautiful paintings :) such details and I'll let you know, I was already deranged before inhaling dust :D errr I meant pastel dust, not the other stuff.

Andi Rebirth
01-13-2008, 05:18 AM
Don, I think you could teach us a few tricks of the trade. Wonderful planes and great atmosphere on the ship. Looking forward to your other works, welcome. Andi

skallagrig
01-13-2008, 05:25 AM
beautiful work, i especially like the mist on the ships, the way the rigging disappears and greys out is breathtaking.

which pastels are you using?

pastellar
01-13-2008, 06:35 AM
what excellent work, Don! Incredible detail, they compare to some of the best Marine and Aircraft artwork I've seen. I'm sure you will be able to teach us a thing or two!

Regards,
Diane

Kathryn Wilson
01-13-2008, 06:48 AM
Welcome to the pastel forum - glad you migrated over here for a visit to us dusties. I love seeing pastels used for unusual subjects - unusual for pastels that is - and these are so well done! The detail in the planes is amazing.

As for blending, I like to use a color shaper, or clay shaper. http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/online/2081/art-supplies/3

The bevels on some of the tips are great for getting sharp edges into pastels, or the wider tips I use for blending cloud scenes. (For those oil pastelists who might be reading this post, I use the clay shaper (same tips, but a bit harder) for spreading around the colors in large areas.)

paul444
01-13-2008, 07:05 AM
Don
Welcome to the pastel forum and what two great opening shots.
Both excellent paintings. The detail is fantastic.

Colorix
01-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Don, welcome to the "dust busters"! Very fine paintings, exquisite detail and realism. Surely you've painted with some other medium before.

bchlvr
01-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Gorgeous realistic paintings!

Deborah Secor
01-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Man--those A-4s heading in sure brought back memories for me! I was once 'married to the Navy', as they say. Long time ago..but good times in some challenging ways.

Oh, we were talking pastels! I was going to mention the Colour Shapers too. They're as close to a fingertip as I come. I like the firm ones, and seem personally to favor the flats. If you haven't tried any, check it out. I've also become fond of the closed-cell foam pads that came with my PanPastels to do blends in larger areas, especially beneath things. The large oval seems to fit my hand nicely and would do great underpaintings of cloud or sea.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work! Have you done any F-4s? I still think they're beautiful planes...

Deborah

Donna T
01-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Welcome, Don and thanks for showing us your outstanding work!

Donna

mrking
01-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Can we have you do a demo or WIP? These are incredible.

With the ship in such a heavy fog I am wondering why I can see such a clear horizontal edge of the water in the RH side. Shouldn't it be engulfed in this fog as well?

fiannah
01-13-2008, 10:44 AM
wow, at a glance i would never have guessed these were pastels! I also would love to see a WIP of one of your paintings, great work!

Paula Ford
01-13-2008, 10:56 AM
:eek: WOW! These are fabulous!

Welcome! I am really, really looking forward to seeing more of your work! Can't wait for my husband to see this thread. He is a pilot and flys(flies:confused: ):D a vintage T-6 (an airline captain too). He is going to love this!!

Paula

chewie
01-13-2008, 11:58 AM
i must say, man, you know your way around a dust stick! that first is my fav.--i am not even really into ships, but geesh, i'd love to have that piece on my walls! absolutely gorgeous!

Terry Wynn
01-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Welcome and so glad to see your paintings. I love them both but especially love the mist/fog of the first.

Hope to see more.

Terry

charliedawg
01-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Hi Don - these are superb - you will need to tell us how you get this level of detail using pastels

water girl
01-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Welcome Don. You are a wonderful addition to this dusty place.

Peiwend
01-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Don, these are absolutely beautifully done!

____________________Wendell

DonP
01-14-2008, 12:06 AM
Golly. Looks as though all the dust hasn't affected your hospitality. You pasteleros sure know how to throw out the welcome mat! Thank you all. It's an honor and a bit humbling to mingle with the likes of the talent I see here.
Appreciate the tips re blending implements. Honestly, I'm about convinced that nothing can duplicate the human fingertip (only lasts so long on sanded paper though!). I was going to go down to the morgue and see if maybe they had some extra... OK...I won't go there. You've given me a couple of new things to try anyway.

Deborah: I'm sure that you are aware of the childish feuding between the VF and VA communities in Naval Aviation. Being a mature gentleman and an ex A-4 driver, I'll just say that I haven't painted any F-4's. I'll leave it at that. No I won't. Those #$^%& fighter jocks were a bunch of arrogant %^&[email protected]'s who's only purpose was to support the attack guys. The only way I'd paint an F-4 would be with a dirty roller and a gallon of cheap Sears latex enamel. Oops. Sorry. Little flashback there.

Michael: Good catch! The photo of the ship painting (Eagle) was taken right after I finished it. Since then I added a few small details and... blended out the 'horizon' on both sides.

Once again, for comments, critiques, and assistance...Thank You All!

Don

amandanator
01-14-2008, 02:36 AM
Don, I've offline for a few days (laid up with the flu) - what a treat to come back and see the wonderful work people have been posting and yours is no exception.

I have a soft spot for aviation art, so the A-4s were a particular treat. Looking forward to seeing more.

Welcome!

Mandy

Dot Hoffman
01-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Wow, you really know how to make those dusty sticks produce awesome work :thumbsup:

Merethe T
01-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Incredible! Amazing detail-level, your work is excellent! Refreshing to see pastels in unusal subjects...

Do you have a website? Would love to see more...and it would be great to see a WIP on how you get the details....... ;)

Merethe

Deborah Secor
01-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Deborah: I'm sure that you are aware of the childish feuding between the VF and VA communities in Naval Aviation. Being a mature gentleman and an ex A-4 driver, I'll just say that I haven't painted any F-4's. I'll leave it at that. No I won't. Those #$^%& fighter jocks were a bunch of arrogant %^&[email protected]'s who's only purpose was to support the attack guys. The only way I'd paint an F-4 would be with a dirty roller and a gallon of cheap Sears latex enamel. Oops. Sorry. Little flashback there.
Don

:eek:So sorry, Don. Please forgive me for eliciting such words from you. I had no recollection of any such feelings and would never have presumed to say such a thing, I'm deeply, terribly embarrassed. :o

Deborah

Doodlebug1967
01-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Don - another hearty welcome and hello! Your work is stunning and we are glad to have you here. This has by far been one of the friendlies forums I've been in on WC and that is likely not to change. Welcome aboard, matie and can't wait to see more work from you! Maybe a little WIP as I saw suggested above...we are addicted to watching others work...oh no...that makes me a pastel vouyer! Eh, so is everyone else here too. Welcome to the dusty side!

ronda

palettetalk
01-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Welcome Don, love your work! :thumbsup:
I use my fingers too but find the firm silicon tipped colour shapers to be terrific for getting into tiny areas. the more you use them the more uses you'll find for them. :)
Awesome to have you join our dusty lair!
Cheers :wave:
Susan

DonP
01-14-2008, 06:31 PM
[quote=Deborah Secor]:eek:So sorry, Don. Please forgive me for eliciting such words from you. I had no recollection of any such feelings and would never have presumed to say such a thing, I'm deeply, terribly embarrassed. :o

Deborah, Deborah! My rant was totally tongue in cheek! Or at least that's how it was supposed to have come across. Now I'm embarrassed! I'm used to dealing with the salty old crowd over at the Marine Art forum who, while they grudgingly put up with my sense of humor, they are never embarrassed to throw a few barbs my way. So now that you know that I was just attempting a bit of levity, you're probably more embarrassed, which again makes me embarrased, which...

Don

and Thank You, Mandy, Dot, Merethe, and Ronda. You all are too easy on me (you don't see all my work that ends up in the trash). As for doing a WIP, that's kind of intimidating in front of a group with the talent I've seen here. Besides, regardless of what Deborah might think, I'm a very quiet, reclusive sort. Just kidding, Deborah! Relax!

dp

Deborah Secor
01-14-2008, 06:58 PM
:lol: As I said in my PM to you, I guess we need to agree to get over being embarrassed!

*whew* Not some old vet having a flashback and looking to find out where I live for mentioning the 'other' airplanes!? Good... See, Don doesn't know that I live around too many guys who explode and DO that kind of thing...

BTW, I'd like to see a WIP of one of your paintings too. We sure could benefit from seeing how you do it, Don.

Deborah

bruce johnson
01-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Hi Don

Brilliant artwork.. being an ex Navy man the ship is my favorite.. but i can remember many days at sea exercising with the USN and getting dive bombed by Skyhawks..
Welcome to the pastel section I look forward to seeing much more of your work..

:wave:

Bruce

DAK723
01-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Don P,

Excellent work, and incredible sharp detail for pastels! I think you will be giving us tips, rather than the other way around!

One thing you will learn about the pastel forum is that the people here are extremely friendly and polite! It is a joy to be here - not something I would say about some of the other forums here at WC, unfortunately.

I have only one small complaint. At least in recent months, there have been no other Dons posting here. So now it looks like I am going to have to start signing my posts as...

Don K.

GaryNorthants
01-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Welcome Don it's a pleasure to have you aboard. Great paintings both of them and I too look forward to more. As has already been said this a wonderfully friendly and supportive forum full of talented artists whose generosity in helping others is unsurpassed. Whatever question might be asked there will always be a helpful reply and I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here. As for blending I have some colour shapers also which I find helpful for hair or tighter areas and straight lines. Lately due to receiving my first supply of Wallis paper I have also tried using some soft polystyrene packing chips which I can mould into various shapes. After a couple of days painting with Wallis I had considered a career move into burglary as I no longer had any fingerprints :lol:
I think that with a sanded surface that it depends how much pastel you have in a particular area that dictates what you might use or the effect you want. I have seen large areas blended with tissues to a piece of mount board. My rule of the thumb is use whatever seems to work at the time.
Look forward to seeing more of your work and would also love to see a WIP when you find you feet and get settled
Gary

rain24
01-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Your paintings have just shown me the wonderful range of possibilities with pastels. These are stunning. I will be one of the ones hoping to see a step by step from you one of these days. It will be so helpful to see how you work.

Again, I am blown away by your art :).

DonP
01-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Bruce, Don, Gary, and Rain, thank you for your generous comments. I envy you pros who have a more masterful command of the medium. I tend to sometimes get bogged down in a "buttoned down" state of mind with details and lose a more "painterly" expression, which I would prefer. But, I'm learning a lot looking and listening here.
I'll have to attempt recording a step-by-step work soon, but the problem is that my stuff often progresses right into the waste basket. :o

Thanks again for your comments and critiques!
Don P

K Taylor-Green
01-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Wow! As everyone else has said, stunning work! I love the mistiness surrounding the ship and the sharp details of the plane. I hope we will see you around here on a regular basis.