PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to Deborah Secor

IdahoHat
01-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Just picked up the February Pastel Journal and saw the wonderful article on "Pots & Pans" by Deborah Secor. I thought she did a great job discussing her experiments with the Panpastels. Quite a few pictures accompanied the article and, now I may have to get some and experiment a little as well. I've been observing so many of you as you give them your own personal spin and style. Thanks, Deborah for all the help and motivation you give us.:clap: :clap: :clap:

purpleheather
01-13-2008, 12:29 AM
I don't subscribe to the magazine, but thanks and appreciation to Deborah for her generous, caring heart by sharing her gifts with us. I've grown so much as an artist through reading her previous posts and instruction - congratulations,

blessings
Anne

Scottyarthur
01-13-2008, 12:52 AM
Congratulation Deborah. I also would like to thank you for your help and input with my work as well. I have not picked up the new issue but will as soon as possible. We are all blessed to have you here at W/C Thank You.

maw-t
01-13-2008, 01:01 AM
Deborah, I am new to this forum, and already have been so enriched reading all of your wonderful & helpful posts. You truly are a blessing! A big CONGRATS to you.. you deserve it!
T

JON805
01-13-2008, 01:21 AM
We are truly blessed to have you here Deborah. I have personally learned so much from your advice, encouragement and support that you have given members. Thank You!

Donna A
01-13-2008, 01:49 AM
Lovely article, Deborah! Some great demos and paintings, as well! Donna ;-}

Dougwas
01-13-2008, 03:10 AM
Great article Deborah. I loved your paintings too.(Hmm.. they looked familiar):wink2: It is nice reading an article when you know the author/artist and you know you can trust her judgement. And I agree with the others, you are very kind and generous to share your knowledge with us. Thank you.

Doug

maggie latham
01-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Very nice article, Deborah. I have yet to try pans, but have a full set tucked away in our boxes for when we move.:D
Maggie

Deborah Secor
01-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Aw...thanks. I appreciate the fact that you enjoyed the article, Harriett. :heart:

Anne, I'm happy to know that what I've posted adds up for folks--thanks.

Scott, thanks to you too. I enjoy teaching--which I guess is obvious.

Maw-t, glad to be of any help, any time...

Thanks, Jon. It blesses me to have you say these nice things!

Donna, you're really the PanQueen, as far as I'm concerned. :D In fact, in retrospect I see that I could've called and interviewed you for this review! I love what you and your students are doing with the Pans.

Doug, the paintings do look familiar, huh? I'm glad you like them. Thanks. I've had a lot of positive comments about them from folks here in my studio, too, I'm happy to say.

Maggie, have a blast with the Pans when you get resettled...

Sooooo, does this mean you all don't find me overly critical? :lol: Actually I'm glad to know that. Sometimes I worry that I may come off that way. :rolleyes:

You know, I have a dream job (as I've said before), or is that jobs? I get to to teach art, make art, and write about art! What could be better? I'm truly blessed. I also have the greatest colleagues--the really kind, helpful and hardworking editors at F+W Pubs. All of them are a treat to work for and alongside. They never fail to make me shine. That's what editors are for, y'know? It's like having a team of artists who work together on one painting to make it the best it can be, each one adding that special touch they bring.

Oh, and another thing that's fun--before long you may see some articles including a couple of folks you'll recognize from the neighborhood, too. Not telling who, just yet. :p

Thanks, gang. You've made my day!

Deborah

Merriel
01-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Deborah: Thank you for all the generous information you give..
I just purchased a set of 10 pan pastels and asked about a book or info on them and was told there really wasn't anything as yet. So today I picked up my feb. issue of the journal to read and there was your article. I have been following the posts on W/C about them but now I can put your article up on the wall to refer to.

merriel

Deborah Secor
01-17-2008, 12:17 AM
Glad to hear it will be of some help, Merriel! Have fun...

Deborah

Paula Ford
01-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Deborah,

I hope you know...I think you're the best!!!!

Paula

bluefish
01-17-2008, 09:10 AM
I feel there should be a permanent thread here on WC and in Pastel Journal entitled " DEAR DEBORAH" !

Everyone can ask her questions and seek advice on a daily/bi-monthly basis!

Kind of like " Dr. Phil" but for pastelist -

What do you all think?????? Want to push the editors for it?

'blue....':wave:

Paula Ford
01-17-2008, 10:00 AM
LOL....what a GREAT idea!!!

Paula

Deborah Secor
01-17-2008, 10:26 AM
:eek: Dr. Phil? :eek:

:lol: ...still chuckling at that thought....

Deborah

Donna T
01-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Deborah, add me to the list of people who appreciate all you do for us here. Your magazine articles and interviews are always so good, I always read them at least twice! Thanks again for all the time you spend with us.

Donna

Diana_pastels
01-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Ditto to what everyone else has already said. Deborah you are a blessing!
Diana

Anne Hevener
01-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Can I put in my own "Yea, Deborah!" here? Deborah was very cool to give us part of the credit, but as you can guess, she makes our jobs as editors VERY easy. She's talented, dependable, and so positive! I feel very lucky to have her contributing to the magazine.

"Dr. Deborah"--very interesting. Do you think that could be a gig on Oprah too?! ;)

Deborah Secor
01-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the thoughts...but..well,I'm here sharing just like everyone else! I get fed too, learning and trying things alongside you all.

I can't tell you how inspired I've been by that thread on Pans that Donna A posted. (I wish I had half her energy--don't you?) She's so devoted to answer every question and show things close up so we can see.

And I love looking at Mike Beeman's portraits, or now getting to see those by Alicia Sotherland. I want to learn how to do those darned things!

I have a ball talking art with people from all over the world--what a blessing to get to discuss things with folks from Australia, Sweden, Ireland, England, even Canada! (:lol: JK)

There's so much more, too... but I just wanted to thank you guys for making my day (again.) I can go off to teach with a light heart--always the best way to teach! We're trying something a bit different today, painting all together from the same blurry, grayscale photo. I want everyone to make it her own, which should be fun.

So, thanks, gang. Let's all just keep having fun together.

:wave:
Deborah

Shari
01-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Deborah,

I have to chime in here too. I cannot even find words to express how grateful I am for your knowledge and compassionate sharing with us here at wetcanvas. I have learned so much from you and I truly appreciate your open, loving, generous spirit.

Deborah Secor
01-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Anne, we cross-posted, but thanks! You know I love this work.

Oprah? Um, no. Too much make-up! I like a job I can do in bedroom slippers, hair askew and no one watching! :lol: Phones, computers, that kind of thing. I can write at 3 a.m. (and I do sometimes--you don't need 'the light' to write, I found out!) Well, okay, the occasional class is fun, too, so I'll spruce up when needed. Once or twice a week. I love to talk and paint at the same time. :thumbsup:

Deborah

bluefish
01-17-2008, 02:43 PM
negotiating now with a major netword for a new reality show - "Life with a Pastel Artist from New Mexico"! :)

but in all seriousness Anne, maybe a bi-monthly column by Deborah would be a very helpful and enlightening addition to your wonderful magazine!

bluefish
01-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Anne

While you're available - have you (North Light Books) given any thought to the next best selling book? namely "DA and DS do PPs"! ( Donna A and Deborah Secor do Pan Pastels) - there's enough between their two sites here on WC to almost do a book!

artinwc
01-17-2008, 07:56 PM
I'd like to chime in too with my appreciation for Deborah and all she has written both here and her article in "The Pastel Journal". I am totally new to PPS, coming from a watercolorist's experience. My husband gave me a set of PPs for Christmas, as well as a subscription to the magazine. The article is wonderful and I have learned everything I know about pastels in the last couple weeks by reading all the great information provided by Deborah, by Donna A, and so many of the other members here.

Thanks!
Judith

AliciaS
01-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Deborah, you really are a great addition to this forum, and very well appreciated. I remember the first time i spoke with you on the phone, a few years ago, and how patient you were with me and how you really listened. Thanks. And congratulations on your wonderful life!!!