PDA

View Full Version : Waterlily #2 -- or every colour in the box

Colorix
01-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi :wave:

Got inspired to do another Waterlily, from the RIL (thank you, photographer).

Partly it is an excess in colour :D , partly very loose, and partly very tight. Which means nobody will like it, eh? :lol: (Am a bit whimsy after concentrating on painting.)

Size 11x15" (28x38 cm)
Wallis pro BM
Rembrandt and Schmincke

C&C very welcome!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2008/117343-Pink_Waterlily_m_isize.jpg

And a detail in actual size:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2008/117343-Pink_Waterlily_m_detail.jpg

Thank you for looking,

Charlie

Colorix
01-11-2008, 02:03 PM
And the ref:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2008/117343-Blue_WL_isize.jpg

Diana_pastels
01-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Charlie, I love this! The colors are fabulous. The reflection is wonderful. I really like this.
Diana

BabyBeeb
01-11-2008, 02:13 PM
This piece is very lovely! I have painted many waterlilies in a realistic style, but this is so good to look at, I just want to drink it in! Love those loose colors, pushing the chroma...yummy!

Karen Margulis
01-11-2008, 02:19 PM
This is beautiful!!! I love how you changed the colors that are in the photo...yours is so much richer and fun to look at. Made me smile!

Karen

friesin
01-11-2008, 02:21 PM
I love the way you dealed with the "colour" white !!!!

Donna T
01-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Wow Charlie! This is gorgeous!!! You changed the colors in the photo for the better- now it looks like early morning sunshine on this lily.

Donna

Dougwas
01-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Charlie, this is beautiful!!! I love all the colours you used. Great reflection of the flower. Well done.:thumbsup:

Doug

purpleheather
01-11-2008, 03:13 PM
I enjoy strong vibrant colours and this painting surely sings with colour.
Great painting - stay whimsy!!

blessings
Anne

DAK723
01-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Charlie,

This is absolutely stunning! I actually exclaimed, Oh My God!, when I scrolled down and saw it on my screen. The colors are phenomenal!

Don

water girl
01-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Charlie, this is just wonderful! I see no negative comments here. The colors are exciting, the lily is in focus and the background is soft and receding; the reflections are correct in value. What more could a girl want???

arlenebc
01-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Charlie,

Love it, love it! Your ability to "see" color is amazing!

Arlene

Orchidacea
01-11-2008, 05:12 PM
I saw "every color in the box" and I just had to click! This is beautiful--it's so exuberant--it makes me happy to look at it! I love your approach to color. I think this could be a little bit stronger if you check the values in the reflection. Really squint or put it in grayscale, and you will see that the reflection can still go down a notch or two in value, without any sacrifice of chroma, which will really make it a knockout!

Maureen Grantham
01-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Its simply lovely, all those colours add to the beauty.

nana b
01-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Charlie, it is indeed very beautiful!

nana

fiannah
01-11-2008, 10:28 PM
WOW, what color! Beautiful!

WC Lee
01-11-2008, 10:35 PM
this is a very beautiful painting :) did a wonderful job on the reflection.

Gail V
01-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Great colors - this is a very exciting painting :-) looking forward to spring!!!

bchlvr
01-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Wow! Fantastic colors!

catrus
01-12-2008, 09:25 AM
It is very beautiful. I love it!

Merethe T
01-12-2008, 09:49 AM
I love this, makes me happy to look at it!! The colors makes a warm impression on me, and I like the style!

Merethe

Todd Flaming
01-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Charlie,
This is awesome!!! Wow - I really like your style of painting. I do believe this is one of your best. I like how you softened the background coming up to the waterlilly. I too had a big smile on my face when I saw this painting. Its really really good.:thumbsup:
Todd

CindyW
01-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Charlie,
Just gorgeous!!
Love it!!
Cindy

bnoonan
01-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Hi Charlie - just dropping in to tell you how much I truly love this - Excellent color and beautiful painting style.

You should be thrilled! Barb:clap: :clap:

rhapsodyerin
01-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Great painting, Charlie. I love all the colors as I, too, like to use every color in my box. The focal point in the composition is right on and the reflections are wonderful. The whole painting comes together to create a winner.:clap:

pastellar
01-12-2008, 03:31 PM
GORGEOUS, Charlie!!! Why should you think no-one would like it? We've all proved you wrong!

Regards
Diane

Terry Wynn
01-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Hi, Charlie, I love the way you use color! But I can tell it probably won't "fit in" at your home (hehehe!). So just pm me and I will have you ship it to me! JUST KIDDING! It is beautiful.

Terry

Colorix
01-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Ooooh, thank you so much, Diana, Brenda, Karen, friesin, Donna, Doug, Anne, Karen, Arlene, Maureen, Nana, Joni, Lee (your avatar has found the fountain of youth :-), Gail, Linn, Sheila, Merethe, Todd, Cindy, Barb, Barbara,

Don, who said: This is absolutely stunning! I actually exclaimed, Oh My God!, when I scrolled down and saw it on my screen. The colors are phenomenal! "

Thank you, Don! Sorry, but He is busy, I'm only His deputy. :lol: :D Wallis paper is fantastic, I layered and layered, and instead of mud I got shimmer.

Kim, thank you, I'll consider the reflection, IRL it is rather darker, at least viewed in ordinary livingroom lightbulbs -- a halogen light, though, makes it as visible as on screen. Anyway, I'll look at it in daylight and check how it behaves then.

Todd, thanks for noticing the background softness. I also softened the petals at the back of the flower. Trying to create distance in what is probably 2 feet or so... And thank you for saying it is my best, I'm on a learning curve, and this is one of those I myself like best. I guess "Calm Strait" and this one are favourites, and both are on Wallis. Hm, there might be a connection!

Diane, thanks. Well, I sort of forgot one sentence when I posted. The thought was that if it is highly realistic all over, it will appeal to the realists. And if it was to be loose all over, it'd appeal to the... (oops, can't say "loosers", can I) the people who like a looser style. And now I had a very tight area, and large areas of layered broadside scribble -- the whole leaning in both directions at once. :-D

Terry, thanks, a lovely compliment. I still have a few square inches of free wall, but it won't last for more than two months, after that my walls will be filled like the Louvre.

I hope I got all your names, if I accidentally missed someone, I want to say that I appreciated all your comments very much! I feared the painting might have gotten too colourful. Of course, for some people it is, but now I know that many like it, and that is very good to know, you're all boosting my confidence. Thank you. :heart:

Charlie