PDA

View Full Version : Sap Green

ivan1
06-19-2002, 09:29 AM
I have been using a lot of W&N Finity Sap Green for a landscape I am working on. Is there a Golden Acrylic paint which is similar to W&N Sap Green? Most of my other paints are Golden. The art store I like has Golden, Liquitex, Tri-Art, and W&N galeria, but not W&N Finity. He has replaced the Finity paints with Tri-Art. Says there formulation to make all the paints dry to a similar sheen is not a good idea. He feels that golden and tri-art pigment loading is better.

Einion
06-19-2002, 07:50 PM
Golden, to their credit, don't offer many convenience mixtures so they don't have an equivalent to this, but since it's a simple two-colour mix it can be replicated on the palette with ease. The colours W&N use are PO49 and PG36, Quinacridone Gold and Phthalo Green YS, neither of which is particularly common in people's palettes but it should be easy to match with other colours. If you want the colour to hand as you are used to, mix up a batch with a matching hue and store it, film canisters work well.

Pigment load varies from colour to colour, I have found Finity's not to be lower than Golden's in many cases, despite opinions to the contrary. Winsor & Netwon also offer many colours superior to the Golden equivalent, most of the earths for example, and in a number of cases the best available. FWIW, online suppliers like Dick Blick offer significant savings on retail, usually over 40% (although with the exchange rate with the Canadian peso it might not work out that well for you!) But if you know you are going to use a lot of a given colour the 4oz and 16oz jars from Golden work out at amazing savings.

Einion

Patrick1
06-23-2002, 03:18 PM
Ivan, Golden's Jenkins Green might be close enough to be used in place of Sap Green...you'll have to see the actual color (either look at the tube with its hand-painted color sample or ask Golden for a free hand-painted color chart). It seems that they made Jenkins Green in place of Sap or Hookers Green (don't know why).

Patrick1
06-24-2002, 06:35 AM
I just had a look at my color chart, and Jenkins Green looks virtually identical in hue to the Sap Green I have (Grumbacher), although it's more opaque.

Scott Methvin
06-24-2002, 12:03 PM
I think real sap green is made from buckthorn berries. Supposedly fugitive.

(pigment trivia)

Einion
06-24-2002, 10:37 PM
Yes indeed it was. It was slaked onto alumina hydride if I recall and about as permanent as natural carmine; or as someone else put it, about as long-lasting as grass stains on your Levi's ;)

Patrick, I forgot about Jenkin's Green, but if I remember correctly the Finity colour is much lighter-valued unfortunately. Actually Jenkin's Green would be a better match for what this colour should look like.

Einion