PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of "Woody" x-posted in the WDE

Tracer
01-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Hey, finally found the WDE and decided to take a shot at it. Lots of great photos to choose from and did this in 2 hours. The story on Woody touched me and decided to have a go at it. It was great fun. If you haven't joined in you should give it a try. Especially if you made a New Years resolution to paint one or two paintings a week.

No critique there, so I thought maybe I could get it in here. Still working on getting loose in my paintings without a lot of detail. C&C welcome! 12x16 on suede matboard, nupastels & unisons. Thanks!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2008/114641-DSC01483.JPG

lindadw
01-09-2008, 12:42 AM
This gentleman looks to have the velvety skin that some older folks have, Beautifully done, and I love the palette.:thumbsup:

mrking
01-09-2008, 12:43 AM
I very much like it.

The only thing for me is that the glasses do not seem to be 'off' his face on our LHS.

Everything else is wonderfull!

maw-t
01-09-2008, 12:58 AM
2 hrs??? WOW. I really like this alot. The spot on his cheek ditracts a bit for me, perhaps ot quiet so strong a color? Seems the far eye might be a smidge high...
I love the looser feel of this, great work on the neck.. ad yes very soft ad appealing..
BTW what is WDE?

maw-t

maw-t
01-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Please excuse that messy post.. my N on my keyboard isnt working right.. and I DO kow how to speil detract..:)
I really do love your looser style & this painting!!

bchlvr
01-09-2008, 06:04 AM
Wow!! Fantastic portrait!!

AliciaS
01-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Great Job on this Tracy! I love the clothes, whatever you do don't touch that area! it is beautifully done!I kind of like the spot on the cheek. I think because it adds a warm touch. So i'm thinking you need to warm up the forehead. Usually the forehead, depending on the light source, is the warmest. I think as the planes change on the forehead, from the temple area to the front plane, it could use some warm touches, and the nose needs some warm touches..an orange red maybe. That will bring these areas forward and warm up his skin. He is a little pale. Also when you paint glasses, try just painting the reflection shapes in the glasses, not so much the rims. That will also help the illusion that they are on straight. This is a wonderful piece Tracy, and you've done a great job also on his neck too. I think because of all the wonderful colors you have in there, so a little more color in his face i think thats all thats needed...:clap:

Tracer
01-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Lindadw, Linn, Thanks so much!

Maw-T - I didn't know about it either, but I remember people referring to it. The "Weekend Drawing Event" - check it out. I don't really know how to link it from this post, but when you come into the pastel forum, you can see it on the upper left hand side of the screen listed under pastel talk & soft pastels studio. Thanks for your nice comments.

Mrking - I have been trying diligently to try and get the glasses off his face, but I am not very good yet with glasses. I tried again this morning but, I am afraid I might screw it up. I gave it a go, but doesn't seem to look better. Oh well, next time. Thanks for looking though.

Alicia - I did what you suggested and added some warm touches to the forehead temple area and the nose. I don't know if you can see it in the new photo of it but it did make it a little less stark than before. I surely need to practice working with glasses now. I have never taken them on before. They are not easy to do. I had a lot of trouble at first adjusting the width and the length, then the level...whew.:rolleyes: ...tough work and I still can't seem to get it right. When you said to just show the reflections, the next time I will try that, but "woody" didn't have any except for maybe a little slight bit on his LS. Thanks bunches for your help with this. I figure the more I do the better I will get at it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2008/114641-DSC01488.JPG

needtopaint
01-09-2008, 02:00 PM
I like the additional warmth you added to his skin. And I, too, like his little red cheek. I also like the color of the background with his skintones. His glass do seem a bit off. I think it is his left side somehow seems to be coming forward and may be "smushed too close to his nose. But then, I've never done glasses either, on purpose I might add! Even the thought of them seems challenging. Love your work.

Christine

Tracer
01-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the compliment Christine! Your work is amazing! Glasses are now my challenge!!:cool: Little time....little more practice....and hopefully I shall overcome.