PDA

View Full Version : Greek fish seller WIP

yayamama
01-08-2008, 08:46 PM
I have been working on this for several weeks. I was given the photo ref. by a friend and wanted to try this.

The siena object draped over the man's knee is supposed to be a sweater but when I took the picture, I think it looks like some kind of animal, and the cup one the left looks like it is floating in thin air.

Any suggestions as to how I can fix this. I have cropped this on the right.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2008/91623-P1000012.JPG

This is what it looked like before the crop.. there is supposed to be another box of fish to the far right.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2008/91623-P1000011.JPG

Any suggestions would be appreciated. See what I mean about the animal draped over his lap!

Thanks, Marilyn

JudiPatooti
01-08-2008, 09:23 PM
First of all, its a nifty painting! I like your colors and technique very much. And, your crop was an excellent idea. It makes your entire composition much stronger. The cup on the left doesn't seem like its floating to me, but if you feel that way, a shadow on the surface its sitting on beginning at the bottom of the cup will always anchor it down. Not that you have too much room there to do that, but you do have a little. I don't think the sweather looks like an animal either :). But, again if you think so, maybe if you lightened the collar a bit to tie it into the sweater a little more? Maybe that part is looking like a head to you?

I think maybe you've been looking at this too long! It can make you hypercritical of it. I know by experience that happens to me. It gets so that these kinds of things in a painting you've been working on for awhile are all you can see instead of being able to see the overall painting itself. I aways wish I could have "fresh eyes" at this point! :)

Good luck with it, but I think you've already got a good painting here!!

Judi

gibbs
01-08-2008, 10:51 PM
I really like the loose, fresh feel to this painting. I think the drapes in the sweater- all parallel- make it look more like fur. Maybe if you lift one of the lines it would help. Also, maybe you could overpaint the sweater with a very light wash of transparent red (similar to the fish) it may make the color less fur-like. It's actually fine the way it is, though.

hpthecat
01-09-2008, 02:12 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2008/98505-fisherman.jpg

Obviousley you wouldn't do the shadow in black :rolleyes: , I just don't have fancy software to get my point across. What I'm trying to convey is the area to shadow. The light is coming from the left, so the shadow laying on the right and just slightly up the side of the cup.

As for the coat...I live in Washington state, coats are my friend :) . This reads like a camel colored coat of soft fabric with fur/shearling collar and cuffs. I do not see an animal here.

Overall, I love the color and balance of this. I think maybe Judi was right, tuck it away for a while...

juneto
01-09-2008, 04:12 AM
This is a Wonderful painting! All the thngs that bother ,you don't bother me ata all .
What does boter me is all the fruit in the stand ,sitting left and attracting you right out of the picture because there is so much isolated red . . You know yellow and red will pull the eye like a Magnet .
So. My suggestions would be to crop it out altogether , which will concentrate on your Lovely Elder guy .
My other is is to concentrate More on the Composition you see through your lens ,when you take a picture and also crop out errorin Color and Designs and adjust before Painting.
You are on the way to super work .
Take a lot of pictures around your place and study them Use the Golden Mean, it still works very well .
June:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :)

painterbear
01-09-2008, 05:57 AM
Hi Marilyn,
I like your subject and the dreamy look of reverie he has as he sits and waits for customers to come buy his fish.

I think if you soften some of the hard edges within the body of the coat where it is draping over his knee it will look more like cloth.

I didn't think the cup was floating, I thought it was sitting down in a tray that had a rim around it.

Since your fisherman has white hair and mustache, maybe a wrinkle or two under his eyes would be good. ????

Sylvia

olliewood0702
01-09-2008, 10:16 AM
I have to agree that the cup and sweater don't bother me either. Also the bin of fish doesn't bother me either. I think it's a lovely painting and I like your crop!

yayamama
01-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions

I do tend to pick things apart and it is so nice to have another point of view.

Sylvia, Thanks for the suggestions of a few crinkles around the eyes. Also about softening edges.

June, do you mean to crop the whole left side and just have the man with the pole behind him? I think I can tone down the color of the fish easier than cropping that much of the painting.

Judy, Ollie, and gibbs, thanks for the positive comments, too

hpthecat, this is one of those you want to get finished. I have been working on it and feel I am almost there and to put it away I might not get back to it and I do like it for the most part.

i will have time tomorrow as I go to a group session where we get together and paint. Hopefully I will finish it and be able to show the finished product.

Marilyn

yayamama
01-31-2008, 09:26 PM
Well, I kinally have finished this one. Darkende the left corner and cropped on the right. Worked on the sweater in his lap, lightening it up over the leg.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2008/91623-P1000098.JPG

C& C accepted and appreciated.

Thanks Marilyn

HarvestMoon
02-06-2008, 05:57 PM
this is very very cool... love it...